1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Automatic transmission manual shift kit

Discussion in 'General' started by kenessex, Nov 5, 2018.

1. kenessex

kenessex unregistered user

Just to let everybody know from the start, I know this whole idea is stupid, but it is the off season so I am sure I will get even more stupid suggestions to go with my stupid idea.
    I have a 2002 Ford escape that I like. It is my daily driver in the summers and does surpisingly well for my needs, but I want some more. I am going to lower it a couple of inches, put on good shocks and struts, springs and sway bars with bushings along with 18" wheels and tires.
    The transmission is an 3 speed automatic with overdrive, with the shifter on the column. Is there a way to get a floor shifter along with a manual shift kit so it will act like a sequential manual transmission? Right now, even if I can manage manual shifts, there is a big delay between shifts and it feels soft. The V6 in it is rated at 210hp.

2. turner38

turner38 Well-Known Member

Sure, just do a LS swap along with a 4l80e and put a nine inch under the rear of it.

Seriously, thats a $1000 car. Why spend ANY money on it?

mike-guy, badmoon692008 and Phl218 like this.
  3. ryoung57

ryoung57 Off his meds

Why? New tires and a tank of gas will DOUBLE that car's value :D Just drive it as is until it doesn't drive anymore. Any mods are a total waste of time and money. The only thing I'd possibly consider would be if you could borrow a tuner on the cheap and firm up the shift points/trans pressure.

4. BigBird

BigBird blah

OP right now

[​IMG]

5. zertrider

zertrider Waiting for snow. Or sun.

This right here is all that needs to be read about this post.

badmoon692008 likes this.
  6. Is just add a bunch of stickers. Easily get 500 hp at the wheels with stickers, cold air intake and a big fart can exhaust.

K51000 and BigBird like this.
  7. Kyle Brosius

Kyle Brosius Well-Known Member

The new Ducati and Ape make more horsepower than your SUV

418, turbulence and Phl218 like this.
  8. zertrider

zertrider Waiting for snow. Or sun.

There ya go. Transplant a Duc V4 into it, and get the manual all at the same time.

BigBird and Phl218 like this.
  9. Phl218

Phl218 .

10. Steeltoe

Steeltoe What's my move?

B&M probably makes what you need.

11. cha0s#242

cha0s#242 Ignorance and prejudice and fear walk hand in hand

Seriously, calculate what it would cost to do that work on your Escape. Then invest it in a decent vehicle.

BigBird likes this.
  12. ChemGuy

ChemGuy Harden The F%@# Up!

B&M makes sledgehammers now?

Cause that's what he needs...:D

BigBird likes this.
  13. deepsxepa

deepsxepa Hazardous

my '77 camaro had a cable actuated floor shift AT that was tied to the s.column. there was no lever on the column but it still spun when you moved the floor shifter. you could also turn the column there to shift it. that was more fun.

so a shift kit and and floor shifter out of a camaro might work somehow. then just remove the column lever

14. wrx_02

wrx_02 Well-Known Member

I would make sure and have full coverage and then just park it in an area where it will get "taken care of" for you.

15. turner38

turner38 Well-Known Member

No

418 likes this.
  16. deepsxepa

deepsxepa Hazardous

c'mon man, errybody has a little shervin in them!

OP can rig it up. just make sure the reverse indicator is spot on. I destroyed a TH400 in a '56 chev because dad forgot to mention that. it still had powerglide indicators. @+60mph too. it was exciting! lol

17. BigBird

BigBird blah

just get a foot shaped gas pedal installed. You and Joe Dirt will have more in common now :D

K51000 likes this.
  18. ryoung57

ryoung57 Off his meds

This thread feels like an episode of Pimp My Ride!

19. deepsxepa

deepsxepa Hazardous

I want my....

I want My Emp Ty V

20. Spitz

Spitz Well-Known Member

Wants to lower the vehicle and ball on 22" dubs, yet can't afford the monthly oil changes. :D At least that's the story around my parts.

Kyle Brosius likes this.