1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Auto Auctions - Buying Salvage

Discussion in 'General' started by ScottyRock155, Apr 22, 2018.

1. ScottyRock155

ScottyRock155 A T-Rex going RAWR!

I've tried to do some research into this but I'm sure someone here has some personal experience and could clarify for me. I'm looking to buy a used car that has a salvage title from an auction (I do not have a business license), what is the easiest/cheapest option to do this?

I've looked at Copart and Ridesafely , and they do have the option to sort by no license required, but are there better options?

I'm in Alabama if it that matters, and I'm willing to to either tow it home or pay for shipping depending on the deal.

Thanks for the help!

2. YamahaRick

YamahaRick Yamaha Two Stroke Czar

Are you looking for a donor car for parts, or a project to return for street use? If the latter, you will find getting insurance on it to be a challenge.

3. ScottyRock155

A project/track car. If it ever gets to the point where I want to put it on the street again it would just be minimum coverage, so I'm not too concerned about that.

4. Scotty87

Scotty87 Lacks accountability

I drove a salvage Nissan Maxima when I was young and broke. Insurance could not have cared less.

5. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

If you don't care that it won't be worth jack shit EVER then do it. Most insurance companies won't touch it without a ton of checking it out.

6. ScottyRock155

I'm just looking at the price difference between salvage cars and beat up street cars for a track project. I could not care less about how the title status affects value. I've been looking at project cars for a few thousand dollars, not anything of real value.

7. Spitz

Spitz Well-Known Member

We sell a lot of rebuilt salvaged vehicles, actually a majority of ours are. We have a guy that buys them (he's also the auctioneer so he sees the best cars). He rebuilds them, most are not much more than a deer hit (hood, fenders, radiator/ condensor etc...) Funny how insurance writes them off so easily. Never had people complain about having insurance put on them, they just have a harder time finding a "value" for them. Its state inspected by a trooper for safety after repairs, making sure nothing is stolen etc.

From what i gathered in WI is you had to have a dealer license to buy from these auctions however, i could be wrong though.?

8. ScottyRock155

It varies from state to state. I can't buy a salvage vehicle in Alabama, but I can in other states.

9. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

If I was looking at a true trackday/ SCCA car then I'd be looking at the same thing as you. Something that you could throw in a dumpster after a bad weekend . . .

BigBird likes this.
  10. Spitz

Spitz Well-Known Member

https://www.copart.com/Content/US/EN/Licensing/LicensingOverview

Looks like you'll need to go through a third party then.. Not sure their fees.?

Like i said, we've sold about a thousand salvaged cars (not our main business). Its no different than buying a used car that was in a previous accident. Im sure some cars are shit in those auctions, but that's why you look at them. We've bought cars with less than 1000 miles on them with pretty minor damage, we still don't know why it was at this auction. Thinking the insurance just writes them off to get the customer out of their hair and sends them to the auction pools to get their money ASAP, even if it is less than what it could bring.

Last edited: Apr 22, 2018
  11. ScottyRock155

12. Spitz

Spitz Well-Known Member

We use IAA as well. Im sure there is more around than just Copart, although they are quite large.

13. Notfast

Notfast Well-Known Member

Copart and IAA are the largest, but there's also Manheim and AAA (as in Auto Club). If you look at any cars out of the gulf states make sure they're coming with a salvage title or salvage certificate, and not a certificate of destruction. Certificate of destruction cars are as they sound, unable to legally be titled/registered in any state.

14. Fencer

Fencer Well-Known Member

gcally
    Helped me buy my truck at Copart here in Bama

15. ScottyRock155

Interesting, did you have a good experience overall?

16. I’ve thought of buying a Jeep project. I looked into it with copart and not too bad in ga. I think it was around $500 for fees and about 200 to get it legal with SOS. My insurance company, Allstate said it wouldn’t be an issue as long as it was just liability insurance. My guy said they get a little picky when you put collision on them due to number of scams people try.

17. CB186

CB186 go f@ck yourself

I think up here, you no longer need a dealer license to buy at auctions. I believe we are also the only state that you can get a clear title after repairing a Salvage, and having it inspected.

18. So you are selling me a jeep then ? :)

19. CB186

CB186 go f@ck yourself

I ain't buying or sell jack shit. LOL. A friend was in that business for 20 years. Got hard to make money when they dropped the license restriction, so he went to run a boat dealer.

20. I’ve heard the exact same thing about that business and it’s also skyrocketed prices as well. There are still deals to be had if you are looking for something very specific and patient but it’s tough. The LS market has really jumped low mileage Chevy trucks up, that’s for sure.