1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Augusta Restaurants / Night Life

Discussion in 'General' started by Sprinky, May 26, 2008.

1. Sprinky

Sprinky Well-Known Member

I've officially arrived in Augusta and I need some recommendations on food and night life. I've got a week to kill before the furniture arrives along with the SO. In another thread about the celtic ladies (or something like that) I saw that Boll Weevels got some good reviews, and I ate at Rhinehardts last night. Does anybody else have some recommendations for some decent non-chain places to eat? What about watering holes? Tomorrow I'll check out the downtown area to see what's happening there. Thanks!

2. jkhonea

jkhonea Back Again

Wow, can't believe you found the other thread about the places to eat during Celtic Women. We did eat at Boll Weevil's and it was truly outstanding. We were very surprised. It doesn't look like it from the outside, and honestly still doesn't when you go in, but trust me the food is great.
    One funny side note to eating there. We asked how the shrimp and grits were that day. The waitress said, and I quote, "To give you an idea, I worked at Waffle House so I'm an expert on grits. they aren't good today."
    The shrimp and grits were awesome that day. So much for the expertise of ex Waffle House employees.
    :crackup:

3. AndyR1

AndyR1 Well-Known Member

"Some where in Augusta" if you wanna drink some beers. It's 50 yards from Hooters.

4. Sprinky

It's settled, Boll Weevil's for dinner tomorrow. I haven't been able to go down the grits road yet, I love collared greens, but grits is still a push for me.

It took me a bit finding the Celtic Women thread, but I didn't want to get slapped with the "search button works" reply!

Thanks guys:beer:

5. Marcmcm

Marcmcm Huge Member

My brother moved to Augusta about 8 months ago...he's currently trying to get back out.

6. Sprinky

That's reassuring. I really don't have a choice so I'll make the best of it.

7. Cuddles de Sade

Cuddles de Sade AnACREE in the UK!!!

paging R ACREE...paging R ACREE to the White Courtesy Phone.

give up the goods, Rick.

8. Tornacl

Tornacl 1teampolevault

I second that opinion and have some of their wings also:up:

Post up what your favorite food is and that will be a good starting point;)
    Jody

9. R Acree

R Acree Banned

Sorry. I cannot assist anyone who disses grits. Next thing you know, he'll be raggin' on sweet tea.

10. Marcmcm

Marcmcm Huge Member

It's really not as bad as it sounds. He works for the minor league baseball team down there and only went there to get experience in one aspect of the business and his company is trying to move him to FL to start a new team.

11. edge23

edge23 Well-Known Member

I know its a chain restaurant but go to Sticky Fingers. Its a fantastic BBQ joint.
    Oh by the way I spent June-October of 07 there, I hate the place. Are you getting stationed there at Ft.Gordon? If so I am sorry.

12. teampolevault

teampolevault Well-Known Member

Yeah, Augusta is sooo much worse than any other town in the USA and I am suprised it hasnt been burnt to the ground for not being entertaining enough for the new generation of ADD plagued young people nowadays:rolleyes:

FWIW most people are more comfortable living in familar surroundings(home town) than some place new and especially if you are moving from the north to the south, it can be a real culture shock.....;)

I dont think this area is any worse than anywhere else ...:beer:

13. crepitus

crepitus I gots nuthin

Somewhere in Augusta is good. There's also Red Hugh's Irish pub down by the river.
    For sports bars on game days you can't beat Indigo Joe's. I don't think anyone has more TVs than that place.

For BBQ, go to Sconyer's

14. R Acree

R Acree Banned

Okay, I'll relent on the food, but I have no night life so you're on your own for that one.

Local restaurants: Boll Weevil, Cotton Patch, Nacho Mama's, French Market Grille, Beamies, Blue Sky Kitchen, The Pizza Joint, Luigi's, Guisseppe's, T's Seafood, Villa Europa, Old MacDonald's Fish Camp, La Cantina (in Modoc near Lake Thurmond - Clark's Hill if you are from Georgia), Wild Wing Cafe, Indigo Joes, The Snug. There are Chinese and Mexican restaurants everywhere.

Chains: Most of the majors including Fridays, Olive Garden, PF Chang's, Macaroni Grille, Logans, Chili's, Famous Dave's, Hooter's (closed for renovation until early June), Applebees, Tony Roma's, O'Charley's, Fatz, Ruby Tuesday's, Bonefish Grille (excellent but pricey), Outback.

Numerous bars I never frequent and a couple strip clubs they haven't been able to shut down yet.

15. eurobiketrash

eurobiketrash Well-Known Member

Augusta is what you make it.

Some pretty nice people here ---if you include Acree well.................

Im pretty much out of the lets hang at a bar and check out the scenery stage.-(read old and married)

There are a few new bars opening up on Broad Street again.

Most of the restaurants already discussed are pretty good too.

We are two hours away from Hotlanta an hour from Columbia pretty much centally located.Best thing is the number of race tracks within four hour drive:up:

Im sure Rick can fill you in about the famous snake lady:Poke:

16. R Acree

R Acree Banned

Sadly, no. She retired before I moved here and the Marine Room closed a couple years ago. Augusta is not issuing any new licenses for strip clubs and the old ones are not transferrable to a new owner. When the current owners die or go out of business, that's it.

17. eurobiketrash

eurobiketrash Well-Known Member

:crackup: Strip Clubs and Masters tickets! what a combo!!!

18. Sprinky

OK, the snake lady story has to be a good one. I've got a picture of a Tijuana Donkey show in my head right now :Puke:

Food wise I'll eat about anything. The SO and I really enjoy Thai and Korean food for foreign food and I have made it my personal mission to find the ultimate mexican restaurant that actually has decent pico de gallo. Otherwise good food speaks for itself no matter what it's origin is.

As for Augusta itself, I'm with eurobiketrash. People are always more comfortable at home. I have to say that my neighbors, strangers at the restaurants / bars, and my co-workers who I just met have ALL been extremely friendly and helpful. Hell, if I can get the grits and sweet tea down I just may be a southerner in the making.

:beer:

19. Tornacl

Tornacl 1teampolevault

"Sweet tea for me and my wife will have the same, thank you mam"....:up:

That is a universal language down here in the south...:beer:
    Jody

20. mmfoor

mmfoor Team Stupid!

Athens is only about 35 miles away (I think) if you get bored with Augusta. No better bar scene in GA, if you dig college towns.

mmfoor