1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Atlanta Dragway Site Up For Sale

Discussion in 'General' started by YamahaRick, Jan 14, 2021.

1. Hyperdyne

Hyperdyne Indy United SBK

I live about 1 mike as the crow flies fr IRP. I love hearing the dragsters sing while enjoying a beer in the garage. The nitro cars shake the soul but it's a welcome sound. Everyone around here was told to deal with it because the Lucas family isn't selling

VFR#52 and CharlieY like this.
  2. sheepofblue

sheepofblue Well-Known Member

Saturn V/Shttle booster test frame, go big or go home.

scottn, CharlieY and R Acree like this.
  3. RM Racing

RM Racing Tool user

They only run karts there now, and I'm not sure that's still operational. No more modifieds, nothing noisy.

sheepofblue likes this.
  4. HPPT

HPPT !!!

Ooh, straight shot to @crashman 's nuts! :D

rd49 likes this.
  5. Pneumatico Delle Vittorie

Pneumatico Delle Vittorie Retired "Tire" Guy

The sad news is once the land value climbs high enough because of population growth the inevitable may happen. And since 1990 the Hall County population has grown from 95,000 to 204,000 so...

6. Pneumatico Delle Vittorie

Pneumatico Delle Vittorie Retired "Tire" Guy

To help to get Bridgehampton way out on Long Island shut down in the 90s I heard people in NYC would call and complain about the noise from 90 miles away.

7. Johnny B

Johnny B Cone Rights Activist

The police became aware of this, so they made a habit of having the caller identify themselves and then actually going to the track to verify these complaints. I saw them at the track a few times and they realized the call was bogus each time.
    There was the time they came out to the track to check a complaint. They were on pit lane, talking to some people. They didn't hear any noise at all, so they asked if racing was going on. Someone replied, "Yes, here they come now." The cops stood there slack jawed while a bunch of bicycles went whizzing by.

CharlieY and TLR67 like this.
  8. Johnny B

Johnny B Cone Rights Activist

This happened at Homestead. Rick Shaw told me that at first, the speedway was in the middle of nowhere. I noticed that every time I went down there in December, the houses were getting closer and closer. The complaints started, so the City of Homestead required that all realtors had to inform a potential buyer that there was a racetrack nearby and that it was going nowhere.
    Henry DeGouw felt that loud bikes added to the spectator appeal. I remember seeing him running around the garages, encouraging racers to remove their mufflers. The big money shootout purse included a bonus if you ran without a muffler.

CharlieY likes this.
  9. sheepofblue

sheepofblue Well-Known Member

Growing up we had land across the road owned by a gravel company. Prior to operating they increased the size of the sound berms, etc. Then held a public hearing. At the hearing one of our neighbors stood up and complained that since they started operating there was white dust all over her house, the spokesman replied they had not started yet. To make it even better her house was a @#$# sty nearing child services level of filth (today it might have happened) and everyone setting there knew it. Could of dropped a needle and heard it, no one laughed to their credit. The gravel pit was a much better neighbor than her.

10. elvee

elvee Well-Known Member

11. noles19

noles19 Well-Known Member

That's been my thought, the motorsports businesses and the chateau elan not wanting to loose out on the track money only helps them.

12. CharlieY

CharlieY Well-Known Member

I'm kinda saying they are "moronic" for NOT doing as you suggest, but I'd bet it happens all the time........THEN who are the losers when they start bitching?

13. R Acree

R Acree Banned

Oh it absolutely does happen routinely. Our system has evolved into protection for the stupid and lazy.

14. CharlieY

CharlieY Well-Known Member

I agree. the only REAL reason I would accept it this time is because without something like that.....WE lose.

In a way, I see it as protection FROM the stupid and lazy......for racers and track owners.