1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Atlanta Dragway Site Up For Sale

Discussion in 'General' started by YamahaRick, Jan 14, 2021.

1. YamahaRick

YamahaRick Yamaha Two Stroke Czar

2. CharlieY

CharlieY Well-Known Member

Man, thats a bummer.....I've had some really good times there.

3. TLR67

TLR67 Well-Known Member

[QUOTE="YamahaRick, post: 5818969, member: 63"

I wonder when Road Atlanta will be up for sale.[/QUOTE]
    Never....

4. Pneumatico Delle Vittorie

Pneumatico Delle Vittorie Retired "Tire" Guy

Never....[/QUOTE]
    It was almost sold ten years ago for a high end housing development like the ones near Chateau Elan. And once the thousands new to the area people buy houses without the knowledge of a nearby racetrack and complain about the noise Road A might just become the next Bridgehampton, but only time will tell.

5. TLR67

TLR67 Well-Known Member

I live around the corner from it and am aware of that.. And screw all those people that complain.. That got shot down in court real quick. If you move near a track and complain your simply a Dumbass... With Michelin’s investment in the facility it only strengthens the time it will stay there. It has been there for over 50 Years and I would hope to see another 50..... Won’t be sold anytime soon....

6. 418

418 Expert #59

On top of that Petit brings in a fair chunk of tax revenue.

TLR67 likes this.
  7. TLR67

TLR67 Well-Known Member

Yeah and those wreckers and flatbeds make some cash during that event too..LOl...

Pixelator and 418 like this.
  8. zertrider

zertrider Waiting for snow. Or sun.

I have always thought that the best defense to stop complaining new neighbours would be to have a giant billboard announcing that there is a racetrack nesrby at the entrance to any new developments

Banditracer likes this.
  9. Razr

Razr Well-Known Member

Yea but some people are so bored they're just looking for something to bitch about.

Pixelator likes this.
  10. CharlieY

CharlieY Well-Known Member

I'd almost be willing to bet that at least SOME of the purchasers of the new homes (% can be debated) have no idea they are near a racetrack.

There should be some type of requirement to disclose this at some point in the transaction. There may already be one (???), I have no idea, but even if there is I'd be willing to bet it is "Downplayed".....sign here, initial-here-here-flip-here-here. Transparency could depend on the realtor.

I lived near Seattle Intl Raceway for a few years. I knew it was there when I bought, and it didnt bother me......I was pretty far away acoustically (Lake Wilderness for anyone familar PSCOOK:)) .......I used to love sitting in my yard when the NHRA Top Fuel guys were blasting away :rock: .....I could hardly hear roadrace stuff.

VFR#52 likes this.
  11. R Acree

R Acree Banned

Buyers have, at their fingertips, everything they need to determine what is nearby, racetrack, airport, or concert venue. Blaming their lack of effort on someone else is moronic.

12. Razr

Razr Well-Known Member

And sound travels. I grew up about 8 miles from Speedrome, a tiny 1/5 mile asphalt track, it was easily heard.

13. redtailracing

redtailracing gone tuna fishin'

Be that as it may, doesn't change that they will not do thorough research and then turn around and complain after the fact. If a career in manufacturing has taught me anything, it's that you have the engineer out problems. The fact that someone would have to do something utterly stupid and hurt either themselves, the product, or the equipment is besides the point. Idiots will find a way and at the end of the day, the company will be held liable. So you have to idiot proof. Same concept applies here.

badmoon692008, tl1098 and CharlieY like this.
  14. R Acree

R Acree Banned

Under your logic, the parties responsible should be the builder and the realtor, not the owner of the airport or track.

CharlieY likes this.
  15. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

Come on man, there are people in Dulles that bought their houses and claim they didn't know it was near Dulles airport. People are either stupid, lazy or liars.

"If we had known, we wouldn't have bought it!"

and they are (or were) trying to put a development at or very near one of the ends of one of the takeoff strips. Same land some dope was looking at doing a track and people bitched about potential noise.

Road Atlanta? You can hope but eventually someone with a lot of time and even more cash is gonna put his sights squarely on it (and the land).

Pixelator and VFR#52 like this.
  16. R Acree

R Acree Banned

BY that time I'll be deceased or they will be racing electrics.

Pixelator likes this.
  17. redtailracing

redtailracing gone tuna fishin'

Not arguing responsibility. The responsibility lies solely with the buyer. I'm just saying that doesn't change the end result. When the buyer slacks on their responsibility and then bitches, the track still ultimately pays the price. Is it fair? No. But it's reality. The best thing the track can do is make their presence known and hopefully scare off any potential buyers that would otherwise raise hell down the road.

In a perfect world, municipalities and courts would tell anyone who moves next to a track then bitches to fuck off. That's what is "right." But again, not reality.

Yzasserina and CharlieY like this.
  18. sheepofblue

sheepofblue Well-Known Member

Plus isn't there a car track on the other side of the street?

19. njracer

njracer Well-Known Member

I grew up with Raceway Park (Englishtown) about 2 miles from my house. Loved hearing the dragsters growing up and spent many days at the track watching or participating in one of their activities. We moved into the area in the late 60's and there was really nothing around except the track, farms and woods.

Flash forward to the early 80's & 90's and houses were going up everywhere and then the complaint's started.

I understand it can be noisy but one should not buy a house next to an active dragstrip/motocross track/airport and "then" complain about something that's been there since the 60's!

The track is still there but the drag racing has stopped and that is a huge loss to the area and businesses.

VFR#52 likes this.
  20. R Acree

R Acree Banned

It's always the newbies that want to close the door after they arrive. They never consider that the folks there before them were not all that thrilled with them moving in.

VFR#52 likes this.