1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Asheville info

Discussion in 'General' started by Scotty87, Sep 2, 2021.

1. Scotty87

Scotty87 Lacks accountability

Spending a couple nights in the area on a motorcycle trip next week. Heard there’s a great brewery scene but the downtown hotels seem bonkers price-wise. Not a fan of riding and drinking so we either need to be walking distance, uber distance or just pick an entirely different scene altogether. Basically looking to ride during the day and then get a little nightlife. Nothing crazy, no clubs or silly shit like that. We’re all old ass mid forties dudes.

Any tips much appreciated.

sheepofblue and BigBird like this.
  2. BarryG

BarryG Well-Known Member

AirBnB in River Arts district. Walk to breweries and good food, longer walk to Centre of town but not too bad.
    You’ll love Asheville
    Cheers
    Barry

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

DmanSlam and Once a Wanker.. like this.
  3. BigBird

BigBird blah

My buddy said Burial is his favorite brewery, and there are others in that area
    Sierra Nevada outside of town is cool

Metalhead likes this.
  4. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Hipsteriffic.

5. R Acree

R Acree Banned

Sierra Nevada Brewery in Hendersonville is pretty darned cool.

Once a Wanker.. and cpettit like this.
  6. Shocker

Shocker Well-Known Member

Asheville is cool for a day. Last time we went up there, we spent most of our time in Black Mountain (about 20 min east of Asheville) as it was less crowded. They have 2-3 breweries in town and a couple restaurants. We stayed in a cabin in Old Fort (15 min east of Black Mountain) and they have a brewery in town called Hillman that also serves food.

Once a Wanker.. likes this.
  7. cpettit

cpettit Well-Known Member

Burial beer co, Wicked Weed Funkatorium and their regular taproom are both cool, Catawba brewing and as mentioned … Sierrra Nevada. All great spots.

White Duck tacos, Red Ginger dumplings, lots and lots of good eats there.

ride 215 from Woodrow down to Rosman

8. Yama-saurus

Yama-saurus Well-Known Member

SuperBike Unlimited is Asheville based, so could stop in and see Freddy and Robert if on a weekday.

noles19 likes this.
  9. Sweatypants

Sweatypants I am so smart! S-M-R-T... I mean S-M-A-R-T!

so is Fast Bike, Ohlins, and Cane Creek (or Henderson based close enough) and all awesome peoples.

Yama-saurus and Stumpy like this.
  10. elvee

elvee Well-Known Member

Asheville is tough - the hipsters aren't what make it expensive, it's the relocated finance and tech money that has driven it to sky-high levels. Best bet for affordable in town would be AirBnB. The Sheraton in town used to be reasonable, but I haven't checked rates lately. The in-laws live in Hendersonville which is also a good choice. Hotel can be a little cheaper, but you'll need an Uber as they are out by 26, so about five miles from downtown.

Asheville is up to over 100 brewery businesses - from brew pubs to full blown production facilities. Sierra Nevada is right on the river. I think think New Belgium still has their tap room operating. There is also a ton of good food. 12 Bones is good barbecue, but my preferred place is closed up right now (Buxton Hall). It started out as a mountain summer home for the rich, and it has returned to its roots. I still love it though.

11. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

The hipsters work for the finance and tech companies. Can't be poor and hipster after all :crackup:

12. BigBird

BigBird blah

No one leave Baby in the corner

13. Smilodon

Smilodon Wannabe

Was a nice place to visit. My parent's house is in a small town in NC and my wife and I would usually take a weekend or few days during the week when we were up visiting the folks. We were up there visiting my Mom in the hospital and was kind of amazed how unappealing and overpriced it had become. We have stayed at many of the nicer places there over the years, but were paying close to $300 a night for a chain place well outside of town.

So we decided that we could at least stop by one of our favorite places for lunch (Jack of the Woods) if we couldn't afford to stay in town. Driving by I saw a crowd of scruffy folks around two obvious homeless-types who were having a knock-down drag-out. Okay, those things happen, the "scruffy folks" weren't far off of the normal, hippie-type crowd, so I went onward looking for a parking spot. I found a lot, and there was a young woman, either dead or in bad shape face down in the lot. Authorities seemed to be arriving, and there was another scruffy crown around, so didn't see anything I could do to help, but I'd had enough, so left.

Maybe just a bad day, but $400-500 a night hotel rooms and the crowd is enough. There are still places I really like there, but rapidly becoming not worth it. Like other nice places, I had dreamed of retiring nearby, but no longer. Maybe a visit in winter would be better? Hate to give up on it, but not keen to visit again if it is like I saw it recently.

14. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

I have never been anywhere I liked enough to pay that kind of money for a hotel room - and that includes downtown Indy for the GP race. That's insane.

ToofPic likes this.
  15. elvee

elvee Well-Known Member

They are definitely having issues with homeless, drugs, violence, etc etc. The homeless and drug issues have been there a long time (hell, Old Crow Medicine Show were discovered when they were busking on the streets there and were basically vagrants) but it's gotten a lot rougher. Hotel prices are interesting - I had recently looked at Grand Bohemian, Grove Park and Biltmore Inn for an anniversary trip, and relatively speaking they were fairly priced. We opted for Highlands just for something different.

16. noles19

noles19 Well-Known Member

Technically Arden which is about 30 minutes south

17. Phl218

Phl218 .

we stopped going to Asheville in 2016. was a cool town but all the above mentioned shit ruined it for us. still miss that tapas place there every now and then, but other than that, a place to skip.

18. noles19

noles19 Well-Known Member

Biltmore estate is really cool to check out also

ToofPic likes this.
  19. motoracer1100

motoracer1100 Well-Known Member

Old Ass at Mid Forties ?? You should be just hitting your Prime. This younger generation is Fucked .. :D

969 likes this.
  20. Scotty87

Scotty87 Lacks accountability

Okay none of this sounds promising lol. What would you gents recommend that’s somewhat near the area and has some stuff to do at night? We’re flexible.