1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Are We Alone?

Discussion in 'The Dungeon' started by Lawn Dart, Dec 19, 2017.

1. Orvis

Orvis Well-Known Member

Just recently I read an interesting book that, if I remember correctly, was rated as non fiction. It is called "The Day After Roswell" and was written by a man that was an officer in the Army and was stationed in New Mexico in the 1940s. His total military career was within intelligence working in the Pentagon and for a couple of Senators.

His book is a detailed account of the supposed "weather balloon" incident near Roswell in 1947 and continues forward several decades with explanations of how items found on the "space craft" discovered in the desert were reversed engineered resulting in the development of Kevlar, night vision tech, and many other "inventions" that are still used today. He names names, places, and events explaining who, and what, was found in the desert there.

It seemed rather fantastic until you actually start putting known facts of today with what is listed in the book. Personally, I have no doubt that we are not alone in this universe and it would be the height of arrogance to think otherwise.

2. fastfreddie

fastfreddie Midnight Oil Garage

I'd be happy learning how to levitate 100 ton slabs of rock and molding them with mortarless joints.

j cal likes this.
  3. CausticYarn

CausticYarn Well-Known Member

We do have machines and techniques for that sort of thing. :D

4. Dan Dubeau

Dan Dubeau Well-Known Member

Egyptians had them too. They were called spaceships....

Elsinore likes this.
  5. fastfreddie

What are you gettin' at? o_O

6. CausticYarn

Aliens didn't build the pyramids, stonehenge, or Easter Island :)

Although - reading about out of place artifacts that kill archaeologists careers is fascinating stuff.

7. fastfreddie

Where are these tools of mass construction that you speak of and why the hell aren't we using them?

8. CausticYarn

Look up levitated mass move. A 340 ton rock was moved using modern day equipment. We can move heavy stuff.

The ancients did it using logs, sleds, and precise calculations (And water in the desert).
    Their masonry and mathematical skills far exceeded our own - because of our penchant for killing each other we have lost massive amounts of knowledge throughout the ages. Some of the precision they could achieve then, can only be achieved through computers with us because of that knowledge loss.
    Do not underestimate human ingenuity.

That's not to say aliens never visited the ancients...they very well could have, there is zero evidence of that, not one single solitary weird piece of alien metal left in these sites - so unless they were all zapped away, all we have is "humans could never have done this!!!" There is evidence of human design and building of the ancient structures, more so than the alien theory, especially since one man moved large stones alone in his back yard to prove humans built stonehenge.

VintageWannabe likes this.
  9. fastfreddie

I'm familiar with the backyard guy's accomplishments...he ain't talkin'. :D

There was a recent article on the Yahoos about some levitated boulder (had a pic) but I didn't check it out. Should I have?

The thing about fitting these boulder so precisely on ancient ruins tho', that's some intriguing ingenuity.

10. Dan Dubeau

Dan Dubeau Well-Known Member

You forgot "slaves", and other mass amounts of human labour. You can do anything if your throw enough bodies and manpower at it. Back then what else was there to do? Sorry can't move that boulder, I have racquetball practice at 7:30, don't want to be late. Busy all weekend, heading up to the lake house. Nah, you worked, for food, to feed yourself and your family. That's all you did. And if you were lucky you lived to the ripe old age of 35.

11. CausticYarn

Who else is gonna move those stones with logs and sleds :p

12. SGVRider

SGVRider Well-Known Member

I’m sure they drew a convincing case for alien influence on our technology but I think it’s crap. Transistors for instance have an easily traceable lineage and the entire industry was an outgrowth of WWII radar technology. Which itself had its roots in vacuum tubes etc. The concept of the transistor has been devised decades earlier in some fashions also but wasn’t built because of lackluster material science. Nightvision is easily created with a foundation of miniaturized electronics and enough capital for development. There’s no fundamental breakthrough there. Most of the transformative technology we developed in the 20th century is easily traced to advances in our knowledge of physics and fundamental science.

I’m not even convinced reverse engineering alien technology would be even remotely feasible or useful. What could an industrial concern in 1917 do with an iPhone X? The technology would be so far beyond their understanding it’s hard to see what they’d glean. Maybe they could understand some of the materials science but that wouldn’t enable them to manufacture a modern battery. Their analytical instruments wouldn’t even be able to remotely glean the sophistication of the device.

Motofun352 likes this.
  13. SGVRider

I think the suggestion that aliens helped build the pyramids is a combination of stupidity and American/Western/Modernist chauvinism. The state controlled a large swathe of the capital in ancient societies, more than even now. Of course they could build something like a pyramid if they were motivated enough. From my understanding, the builders of the pyramids were mostly hired employees not slaves. The Egyptians appeared to have exercised good labor management practices and spent a lot of resources keeping the pyramid workforce efficient. In which case it was probably more cost effective to hire people than use slaves.

You can’t be serious thinking their mathematical skill exceeded ours. That’s ludicrous. I don’t think they were capable of designing gravity slingshot trajectories around Jupiter circa 5000 BCE.

14. CausticYarn

Basic mathematical skills required to navigate and to build to the precision they built with. Yes they were. We need computers for those calculations and lasers to make the cuts.

That’s all I meant.

15. auminer

auminer Renaissance Redneck

Need? No.
    Use them because we have them and there is no need to scribble out long division in the sand with a pointy stick? Yes.

16. SGVRider

Doing it that way worked but was expensive and time consuming. We use lasers to cut stuff because it’s faster and more cost effective. I know how to calculate a square root using the Babylonian method, but if I type it in a calculator it does it a millionish times faster so I don’t use that method. Ancient Polynesians navigated the Pacific without instruments, today we have GPS and inertial navigation so there’s no need for master navigators and it almost became lost knowledge. With every advance in technology old skills are lost. This is also one reason I doubt we reverse engineered any alien technology even if we found some. Which I think was part of your point as well? The 10,000 year more advanced stuff is mostly useless to us. The thousands of iterations in between us and them are what we’d find useful, not their magic box technology.

17. beac83

beac83 "My safeword is bananna"

I look around and see our planet as the home of the misfit toys. We may be the trash heap of creation, where all the broken ideas went to.

Banditracer likes this.
  18. Venom51

Venom51 John Deere Equipment Expert - Not really

The pyramids are not that fantastic all they prove is the people that built them had diminishing goals.

19. auminer

auminer Renaissance Redneck

It was definitely a union job. There at the end, the foreman said, "Screw it... We're puttin' a rock up top, then we're breakin'".

20. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

The problem is when you put all facts against his book it doesn't hold up. Like Kevlar and night vision, it's pretty easy to follow and document how it they to be. You have to ignore some steps to toss in the aliens creating it :D