1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

are CL350 and CB350 frames the same?

Discussion in 'WERA Vintage' started by Royale w/cheese, Mar 5, 2008.

1. Royale w/cheese

Royale w/cheese Well-Known Member

or enough so that a bike with a CL frame and a CB motor is legal to run in V1, 2 and/or 350 GP? or do i need to find another CB350 frame? thanks fellas

2. joec

joec brace yourself

thats legal.

jc

3. CharlieY

CharlieY Well-Known Member

CB and Cl frames are identical, I believe.....JoeC?

SL frame is alot different.....but CB / CL / SL are all legal under the rule:

Honda 350cc twins with the following limitations: OEM Honda twin frame and swingarm

4. Royale w/cheese

thanks guys. i rear that OEM twin frame thing but just wanted to double check. :up:

5. Royale w/cheese

BTW, do you guys know if anyone makes a bellypan for the CB or should i fab one myself? i'd really rather just buy one.

6. joec

joec brace yourself

charleys right. they have the same frames. for some years, the cb came with a linkage shifter and early models a different tank mounting scenario. but ive never done the numbers to figure out the shifter thing, and that was only a stud mounted to the passenger peg/swingarm bracket on the left side of the bike. so you might notice that there. but thats a removable bit. the motors are all interchangable though. the cb/cl motors.

otherwise, you can drop a cb motor into a cl frame, or the other way around. the sl stuff does not swap back and forth like that.

jc

7. Tinfoil hat charly

Tinfoil hat charly Well-Known Member

I am in the process of adapting a walmart aluminum pan-thicker than the cheesy foil ones: in fact, they came 2 in a set for under $5, one is 3qt, the other is bigger [didn't measure it] the rules specify 5qt but 4 qt ought to work because there is only 2 qts of oil in a CB350 and no other liquids in sight except for fuel.....just don't ask for rules clarification on this subject: NO ONE WANTS INCREASED SCRUTINY [gees]

8. CharlieY

Charly....I use a sheetmetal baking pan, not sure of the capacity, but i would guess 4 or 5. I used to use a lightweight alum (like I think you are saying, not foil), but found it still flopped around in the breeze after awhile.

About the only time I've seen anything said about pans was with Ol' Videojack...he had essentially the same pan we are discussing, but his street 2 into 1 exh made him dent in about 25% of that capacity....he popped a seal and oiled things down, tech said something about capacity.

Royale, I've seen Joe's buddy Tanners pans, and they look pretty nice....ours work fine, but I'll upgrade at some point.

Joe....I ran against the Nisky SL from your neck of the woods....and he had a CB motor in a dual downtube SL frame....it was there, and they mention it on the site...not much clearance for the starter bump, but its there......I was surprised.

Also, there are 2 different SL frames. The early ones are real close to the CB/CL....but the later ones are alot different.

9. joec

joec brace yourself

9" paint tray.

i dont know anything about the sl frames, early or late. other than that they are different from the cb/cl. i know my sl motor wouldnt fit into my cb frame. so i had assumed, (yeah, i did,) that it wouldnt work the other way around either. im not expert on sl's. well, and id hardly consider myself an expert on cb/cl's!

hey, how did the nisky bike run? im actually in maryland. pretty far from the nisky crew, but we watched the progress on the cafe board. plus they were at mid o this past year. they did alot of work to that bike. they musta used an sl trans to then huh? hmmmm........

jc

10. CharlieY

Woow...I never thought about the SL motor in a CB frame...where was the hang up?

That Nisky bike ran great! They raised the seat and tank hieght, so it sat alittle hi, but was rock solid!....on my stocker, I got him and Bowie off the start, and hung for awhile....that bike has some power...Buffs head, I believe, etc...full V1 bike. He and bowie had a good run goin...bowie on his 250GP bike...but shit, its Bowie....nutcase.

It was a CB case, so I'm guessing CB trans.

The owner, Bob and his wife are good people as well....I enjoy talkin with them, they pitted next to Russel and Lori, so good spot.

Yeah, I saw it over on caferacer....thats how I found out about it.

I carry a paint tray as a spare pan:up:

Royale....lots of options....it dont take much to get one on the track.

11. toecutter418

toecutter418 Flat Rat Racing

Also worth mentioning that the CL comes with a 19" front wheel but is interchangable with the 18" Cb. I have no idea if the forks are shorter or longer. Most aftermarket shocks are the same as 550/750 that are about 3/4" longer than the CB, this is a good thing!

12. Tinfoil hat charly

I had a couple front ebay wheels to choose from and picked the one with the cleanest spokes to put Jesse's race compound Avon on: I can testify that it's real hard getting an 18" tire on a 19" wheel [looks the same at first glance]

13. joec

joec brace yourself

dean, thanks for mentioning that. a lot of people dont realize the cl did actually come with a 19 front. and youre absolutly right, it will swap. i think the forks are the same, could be wrong there, but the fender is different to move it up.

its been so long since ive had the motors out and trying things. i cant remember. im sure buff knows exactly what works etc. and duh, i thought of about 5 people i know running sl frames. just never thought about the motors. the sl tranny isnt supposed to be as stout. and i think the ratios not as favorable. but i gave up on the sls along time ago. henry syphers runs one in his 350. he might even be running an sl frame too.

the nisky bike should be really fast. im pretty sure it has a buff head, todd pistons, big cam, pvl, etc etc etc......glad to see its being raced. whats he got for a brake?

jc

14. CharlieY

T500 on the nisky bike, I believe.

I raced a 19" for at least a season.....till I got another bike with an 18".

15. bcwilson

bcwilson Member

Thanks for the kind words Charlie!!!! Very nice.

The nisky bike is loaded with good parts, now i just need to learn how to make it all work together.............and not break it.:)

You are correct, it is a T500 brake that I got from Wayne Moore and Mike Wells expertly set up for me. It has XS650 forks.

Bob

16. Royale w/cheese

is a cb350 tank and a cl350 tank the same then? i busted my gas cap latch and need a new one. it's easier to find a whole tank with cap on ebay than it is to just find the flip type cap:(

OR

which years in particular had the twist off type caps?

Last edited: Mar 7, 2008
  17. Tinfoil hat charly

cl tank is shorter but otherwise fits the same mounts etc--I have a surplus 72 cb350 tank if you need one--I'll go look at it to check condition. I fit a cj360t tank [had to hammer the tunnel to clear the cb350 frame] and it looks really good but then I decided I didn't need the bigger tank for 10 lap sprints.

18. Royale w/cheese

that'd be cool of ya:up: the one i have is perfect, i just cant seem to find the flip type cap as a replacement for my busted one. if you say the cb350 is longer, that's what i was really looking for anyway. let me know what you find out. thanks

19. bullockcm

bullockcm Well-Known Member

I may have a spare flip type cap. I have several old Honda tanks. Does it need to be keyed?

20. Royale w/cheese

the one i have now isnt, just has...well, had a little thumb tab you depressed to unlatch it...so, i guess it doesnt need to be as long as i can open it