1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

are brake lever guards required now?

Discussion in 'Tech' started by Hotfoot, Oct 1, 2018.

1. Hotfoot

Hotfoot Well-Known Member

I have had two knowledgeable people tell me that a brake lever guard is now a tech requirement for WERA, but I looked through the current rulebook tech requirements and didn't see it. I tried a search on the board but didn't find the info; I apologize in advance if this is a topic that has been discussed before. Can anyone let me know? I have particular bar ends I want to use (for weight, vibration reduction) which is my only reason for not wanting to run a lever guard if it isn't required.

2. SPL170db

SPL170db Trackday winner

Even if they weren't a requirement I'd still be running them....

But, there are several lever guard that would allow you to continue running the same bar end weights. I use the Woodcraft lever guards and they clamp onto the outer part of the bar, not into the end where a bar end weight would fit....as you cam see here, guard in place, bar end weight still installed.

[​IMG]

Also the Dion Device doesn't event bolt anywhere near the bar end.

[​IMG]

Hotfoot likes this.
  3. Pitdad42

Pitdad42 Well-Known Member

Not required in the rule book that I have seen. But definitely smart to use!

4. Hotfoot

Oh, perfect, that solves it for me, thanks very much!

5. SPL170db

SPL170db Trackday winner

6. TLR67

TLR67 Well-Known Member

I know AHRMA requires them for modern bikes... I have Apex and Woodcrafts..

7. Kurlon

Kurlon Well-Known Member

As I sit here with a cracked metacarpal from a Woodcraft... that Dion seems like a better idea.

8. Mechdziner714

Mechdziner714 More Gas Less Brakes

Chest protectors are not required either , but its a real good idea to use one.

TurboBlew and TLR67 like this.
  9. Hotfoot

So... how did the Woodcraft contribute to that injury? OK to PM if you prefer. Might help me make my decision on what to use...

R/T Performance likes this.
  10. Kurlon

Kurlon Well-Known Member

I view it as a freak one off.

11. JBowen33

JBowen33 Only fast on Facebook

Wish I could find something to work with stock gsxr bars. Nether of those will work for me.

12. TurboBlew

TurboBlew Registers Abusers

are you able to get a comfortable position with "stock" bars? Especially when they are "bolted" to the upper triple?
    On my 2006 I used to run the stock clipons with the locating tab outside the upper triple clamp. If you relocate the switch gear
    that should open plenty of room for a dion.
    That being said... I had a lever guard on my tool box to install a few days before a race. Got busy and procrastinated ...of course it was the one weekend I needed it! :(

Attached Files:

Last edited: Oct 7, 2018
  13. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Not required - use them anyway...

TurboBlew likes this.
  14. JBowen33

Yeah I actually like the stock set up. One problem I have is the stock pods have been retuned for “race” stuff so I couldn’t even eliminate them if I wanted too.

15. buzz-06

buzz-06 Well-Known Member

16. JBowen33

17. javyday

javyday Well-Known Member

18. pscook

pscook Well-Known Member

I believe that you can remove the compression/friction fitting from the end and just screw the guard into the existing nut. Much simpler and sturdy that way.

19. JBowen33

I think I tried that with the woodcrafts and it didn’t work. The fitting inside was too small and the hole in the bar end was too big. I tried washers etc but it moved around to much for my liking.