1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Arai to halt Online & MailOrder Sales..?...

Discussion in 'General' started by Joe, Dec 7, 2001.

1. Team Road Rage

Team Road Rage Well-Known Member

What is the big deal? If you don't want to buy and ARAI don't. I tried two other types of helmets last year and you will only see wear an ARAI from now on. If you are best you can set your own standards.

ED,
    Glad to hear you are not retired. I will look forward to seeing you on the grid in AMA 250GP next season.

2. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

That is too bad about Sloan's - Tommy Sloan used to race Endurance with us...

As for local dealers - they do not have nay interest in racing and far too many have no interest in customer service. Luckily there are a few who do and I would go out of my way to give them my money, I guess i'm extremely luck that there is a rgeat shop run by racers and riders halfway between here and home.

My guess on the Arai thing is that it probably is a case of their beliefs in how they should do business and how they want their product sold rather than a bottom line type of decision. In all reality it's no different than Oakley yanking a franchise if they find a store sold someone discounted glasses or put them on sale, part of the draw to the product is the high end pricing, to discount that makes them more "common" and less desirable. Now I kind of doubt that is Arai's intent but the practice is out there and has been used sucessfully.

3. Chubby Huggs

Chubby Huggs Guest

My two cents:

My bet is that a lot of non-mail order local shops were tired of people coming in and trying on helmets so they could figure out which one to mail order at a EXTREMELY reduced rate. So they went crying off to the distriibutor instead of attempting to be competitive.

Here in Atlanta you will not find a new, current model Arai in any of the "regular" bike shops that has a sale price beginning with less than a 5. Online: low 3s.

I am a consumer. I spend my money the way I see fit. I also try and support my local shops to the best of my ability and my threshold of them being idiots.

The last time I was supported by one of the "properly trained" Arai "dealers" (by the way there are only 5 of these dealers listed on their site that NEAR Atlanta and the only one listed IN Atlanta is out of buisness) I was told I should buy the RX-7RR because it "looked cooler".

I would rather talk to Helmetshop.com in Florida, get GREAT advice, and risk losing the $16 swap fee for me ordering the wrong size than deal with the idiots around here. If that choice gets taken away from me I'll be happy to find another brand that supports it.

PS: The shops in question above were definately NOT MarMo!!!!!!!!

PPS: You know I look back and see how much vile I have in this post. I want to explain why: I went to a local shop (actually almost everyone that carried Arai) helping my Dad look for a helmet. When we finally found a shop that had enough of the different ones for us to try on we started talking to them about prices. "No sir that's the price." "Dang that's high... you guys won't haggle any?" "Nope, Arai doesn't allow their helmets to be sold any cheaper than list." "Really so how come I can buy this helmet online for $200 cheaper?" "They can't sell it that cheap!" "Well one of us is mistaken!" "Tell me where you saw this cheaper Arai so I can report them!".... Thus my comments above. And yes I know some of what he was saying may of been wrong.

[This message has been edited by Huey130 (edited 12-10-2001).]

4. mad brad

mad brad Guest

andrew mueller is the anti-christ. [​IMG]

[This message has been edited by brad wilson (edited 12-10-2001).]

5. wera516

wera516 I am not BC61

You poser went and blocked your E-mail. When did you finally figure it out?

6. mad brad

mad brad Guest

7. wera516

wera516 I am not BC61

Brad Wilson is the nicest most fun loving joyful man i have ever met.

NOT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Yours truly
    Andrew Mueller
    AKA The Anti-Christ

8. mad brad

mad brad Guest

don't you EVER accuse me of being fun-loving punk! [​IMG] cuss me me like that again and i'll i'll i'll well you know what i'll do. [​IMG]

9. wera516

wera516 I am not BC61

Their you go again trying to be the school yard bully. YOUR NICE, YOUR NICE, YOUR NICE now what ya gonna do? I will see you at the track..... Unless youwant to go out for beers sooner.

10. mad brad

mad brad Guest

beer is the drink of barbarians. i will assist you with your vodka though. skiing perhaps? [​IMG]

11. wera516

wera516 I am not BC61

What mountain and what time......

12. wera516

wera516 I am not BC61

Will I have to fly to get there? Or is it local.

13. mad brad

mad brad Guest

[​IMG] [​IMG]

14. mad brad

mad brad Guest

very close to my house.

15. ZebProctor

ZebProctor Well-Known Member

I agree, I will also be switching helmet brands... I have used kneedraggers.com twice and had the best customer service anyone could ask for.... on the downside, I bought a Joe Rocket jacket from there about 5 months ago and now the velcrow strap on the left side has come unstitched from the jacket and I don't know if I can return it or not.... do I call kneedraggers or Joe Rocket?

16. Jeff McKinney

Jeff McKinney Well-Known Member

I bet that within a year,arai reverses this policy.I have no numbers to back this up,but my assumption is that an awful lot of tires & helmets are sold mail order.Metzeler tried this same thing about ten years ago,it didn't work then,& i don't think it will work now.

17. panthercity

panthercity Thread Killa

I have to ask again, has anyone seen this reported on any other site?

18. 13x

13x 13x.com

How about vendors who sell Arai helmets at the track? If Arai is going to ban other forms of convenient sales (internet, mail order) they should definitely ban helmet sales at the track.

Hell, a vendor can sell his wares out of the back of a van right at the very time you need it! I can't believe Arai would stand for that.

[​IMG]

Jim
    AOD

19. Mblashfield

Mblashfield Well-Known Member

24 hours in a day, 24 beers in a case...coincidence?

20. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

I heard it from the local Tucker-Rocky rep the day before it was posted here.