1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Anyone Modify an RV to carry their bike

Discussion in 'General' started by gixserman, Jul 2, 2004.

1. gixserman

gixserman Well-Known Member

Anyone Modify an RV to carry their bike

sort of like a home made toy hauler or even just a way to get the bike it into the motorhome or trailer for transport ?

2. nikponcherello

nikponcherello EX #688

3. gixserman

Re: does this count

That would work I think.
    The door in that picture looks smaller then the bike... How did you get the bike in and out of there ?

And holy crap.. how many bikes are on that trailer in the other picture.

4. nikponcherello

nikponcherello EX #688

7 bikes

7 street bikes on the trailer. Squeezed tight and without a scratch.

You're right about the width. I have to loosen and rotate one of the clip-ons to get the bike in and out. Then I strap it down from the triple clamps to the base of the chair and couch. They're both bolted securely to the floor.

5. gixserman

were you able to get the bike in and out of there yourself or did you need help? (trying for a 1 man operation here.)
    was the door there already ? or did you put it in.

Thanks a bunch
    "D"
    :beer:

6. nikponcherello

nikponcherello EX #688

1 man

Ya, 1 man operation. That's why I used it. Didn't have to pull a trailer, didn't have to get a hotel, loaded and unloaded by myself. The door was there. I thought about trying to make it wider, but that seemed like to much hassle and moving the clip-on was easier.

Actually, I'm thinking about selling it...

Maybe I'll put something in the classifieds section.

7. gixserman

8. gixserman

Re: 1 man

I'm trying to figure out
    How did you get it in and out of there by yourself... door is too skinny to walk beside it going in and out .
    anything special you had to do when putting the bike in the trailer.
    or taking it out of the trailer yourself ?
    Is it easy ? or one of those operations that leave you wishing you had figured something else out.

sorry for the barage of questions but this is pretty much exactly what I am looking to do. :beer:

9. nikponcherello

nikponcherello EX #688

No trailer

Gixserman, did I just meet you today?

I didn't use a trailer when I went by myself, I only used the trailer when 7 of us went to Colorado on a street ride. Or are you calling the motorhome a trailer?

The motorhome's pretty low to the ground. I just used a board that I slid in next to it. I put it in and out by myself, and yes that was a little bit of a pain. Kinda like loading into a pickup is a pain by yourself. It helped when I had someone on the otherside of it to catch. Because you're right, there's no standing beside it. I have a patio at my house that's the right height, so the board-ramp was flat. Trying to push it up or down a ramp with only one clipon functioning was very difficult by myself. But when I got to the track, it wasn't a problem because there's always lots of help to unload and then load back up again. And with one guy in front and one in back, it makes a huge difference.

I considered punching out the door to be wider. I was even going to gut out the cabinets. Then Steve bought the Carney RaceBus and I haven't needed to mess with it now. That bus ride is a little harsh and sleeping on those stock bus seats doesn't make racing easy the next day like the motohome's bed... but come on, the bus is just to straight pimpin with those chrome wheels to not want to ride in it.

10. gixserman

sent you a pm

11. TJ

TJ Livin in a bubble

Re: No trailer

True dat!!! That is the coolest race transporter that I have seen.