1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Anyone know their tractors?

Discussion in 'General' started by motomadman217, Aug 26, 2020.

1. Motofun352

Motofun352 Well-Known Member

I've owned a 43 horse Ford 2120 with 4WD for 26 years. I'm not a frequent user as it still has only 1000 hrs. When I do use it it's heavy use. Only thing I can recommend is to option it out. You will find a use for dual rear hydraulics eventually. Fill the tires with windshield washer fluid, not calcium. Turf tires or Ag tires is a conundrum.

2. worthless

worthless Well-Known Member

I don’t know how much land you bought, but have you considered getting a pull behind that you could hook up to a side x side like a Polaris Ranger? If it’s a good chunk of land, a side x side would Come in pretty handy.

3. tdelegram

tdelegram Well-Known Member

If you’re an occasional user, 100 hours or less a year any model you mentioned will be fine. Like garages and trailers, go bigger and get extra hp. Running a a 25 hp at full tilt doesn’t equal a 50 hp at 1/2 load, if your planning on never replacing go bigger to reduce stress on everything.

4. tdelegram

tdelegram Well-Known Member

I did this for 4 years on 20 acres of horse pasture, all I did was prematurely wear out my ATV. Not a great long term option.

CRA_Fizzer likes this.
  5. worthless

worthless Well-Known Member

Yeah...20 acres is a lot. Wasn't sure how much land he had. Also, if he needs the tractor for 'real tractor type stuff' and not just mowing, obviously it isn't an option.

6. motomadman217

motomadman217 Well-Known Member

You guys just talking for cutting fields? I have just 12 acres but already have a riding lawnmower we use to cut just less than 1 acre of it. It’s more going to be for snow removal on my 200ft drive and the moto track. The track right now is about 4000 ft and we are bringing in about 40k yards of dirt to make berms and jumps with a dozer then maintain with the tractor. In my area the John Deere tractors are by far a better deal than the Kubtoa’s money wise. The LS is way less but still have mixed feelings on it.

7. Riders Discount

Riders Discount 866-931-6644 ext 817

One of my old neighbors had a compact LS and it broke the adjustment bar on the 3 pt after a couple years. Wouldn't have been a big deal but the dealer didn't have the parts and it was on eternal back order. He ended up using some parts from Tractor Supply to "make" due. I picked up a Kubota B3200 and it does great on my 20 acres, but I will most likely upgrade to a larger tractor in the future. The lift capacity on the Kubota is minimal until you get into the MX and M series.

8. motomadman217

that’s the problem I am seeing. A Mx 5600 gets me into the right loader capacity but the wrong price. The John Deere 4052m is loader capacity of 2500lbs and just over 34k. The mx5600 loader capacity is like 2250 and like 37k. Hard cap budget at 35k. Hard to believe a Jd is a better value the a kubota.

9. Inst Tech

Inst Tech ain't no half steppin

I just went through this. 80 acres. I was gonna go with a 90's Ford for 10K but ended up with a 2013 JD 39hp with 72 hrs for 16,500. No def.
    I'm really impressed with this thing. So easy to drive. As someone mentioned, figure out what you want and go one size bigger.

10. bullockcm

bullockcm Well-Known Member

You seem very focused on max capacity at full lift on the loaders, dare I say to focused. Sometimes these number can be misleading or put another way there is no standard to how they list the capacities nor any real oversight. From a safety standpoint you always want to keep loads as low as possible and lifting max capacity loads high should be very rare. Are there specific lifting scenarios you will need to accomplish, like unloading tons of pellets on pallets? Full buckets of dirt, rock, gravel, etc. shouldn't be an issue for any of these. Other specs and features loader wise which might be more important than just lift capacity are dump and lift cycle time and the transmission if you have large amounts of material to move. Hydro trans is certainly nice and does offer good control and easy forward/reverse transition, power shuttle or Deere's power reverser doesn't give up much and even the mechanical shuttle in the MX line is pretty user friendly.

Really any of the tractors you are looking at should be pretty solid. When I bought my tractor in 2012 LS was pretty new on the scene and the local dealers didn't instill much confidence nor did they last long. Now there are some good well established dealers and by all accounts are solid tractors. I don't think I would shy away from at this point just because they aren't JD or Kubota.

11. casjoker

casjoker Refusing middle age

$37,000 for an MX5600 is ridiculous unless you are getting a bunch of attachments. Google Kubota Package deals. I got a 2020 MX 5400 with loader, 7' bush hog, 8' landscape rake, loaded tires, extra hydo hookups, and pallet forks for $34,000. I think my loader capacity is 2250. I have lifted almost 3000 lbs with it. This is in SE TN where tractor dealers and churches are on every corner. I think the link is to a dealer in SC.
    https://sneadtractor.com/products/kubota-mx5400-dt-15/?ref=kubota-tractor-package-deals

12. motomadman217

Dang thats a good deal on one pretty sure shipping would eat up the savings though. Up here that is not the case. Dealers are far apart and they barely have any stock left. Everything is full price. I mis spoke btw its the 6000 for that price, with the loader and light material bucket, loaded tires and tax. Fixated on the loader weights because the higher the weight the less trips i have to make with it. At 2250 that's not even a full yard of dirt. All of the ratings specify that weight is a full height and at the pins not in the bucket. So yes you would be able to lift more at a lower level.

13. casjoker

casjoker Refusing middle age

My dad is up in Maine and he said it's the same up there. Limited stock and full price. He couldn't believe the prices down here. I rarely lift anything over 5' off the ground. The JD prices here are higher than the Kubota. Dealer foot traffic reflects. JD place will have two trucks in the parking lot. Kubota dealer is a 20-minute wait to get help. I have 40 acres in hay and qualify for tax-free on agricultural equipment. Might be worth seeing what your state does something like that. Saved me 9% which allowed me to jump up in size/hp.

14. bullockcm

bullockcm Well-Known Member

I see some of the more detailed specs are still not the easiest to find. It looks like the light material bucket in the Kubota is still the L2236. According to my manual that holds 12.7 ft^3 or 16 ft^3 heaped, so averaged out around half a yard. Another random thought from having read the thread earlier. I don't think the John Deere Global loader attachment or whatever it is called these days is that big of a detractor like it once was. There maybe some more specialized loader attachments that are more readily available in SSQA but all the normal stuff buckets, forks, grapples, snow plows & pushers seems to be available in either mount with no price premium for the Deere style. Good luck with the purchase and here is to safe and happy tractoring towards making fun motorcycle playgrounds :beer:

motomadman217 likes this.