1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Anyone into off-road rallies?

Discussion in 'General' started by Pam_G, Mar 15, 2002.

1. Pam_G

Pam_G Banned

www.cherokeetrailsrally.com

Would probably be close to you TN & northern GA people. I'm thinking about driving down tonight from Cincy! My son is into the off-road rally stuff.
    I saw the Team Canada trucks/Subarus headed south through Cincinnati yesterday afternoon.

2. Pam_G

Pam_G Banned

Don't ask me how this posted twice.
    Computer glitch!

3. Due North

Due North Source of Insanity

Yes!! I didn't even know we had team!

4. mtnbkrpnk

mtnbkrpnk Broke racer.....

I love rallies!! Never been to one live, but I'll have to check that out sometime.

5. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Very cool! The forcast is too wet for me to go stand around in a forest this weekend though (I get enough of that at our races).

6. troll

troll Well-Known Member

Off-Road rallying is really cool, I'm suprised that this is not a big sport in the South considering that every time it rains here in Columbia about 90% of the local drivers end up "Off-Road rallying" due to their inept driving skills.

7. Pam_G

Pam_G Banned

Hey, y'all.
    The weather turned out great. It started raining sometime in the early am hours, but stopped around 9am. The course(s) were damp & soft, but not too muddy.
    The US Forest Service ended up shrinking the size of the spectator areas. Something about possible endangered plant species that they had not tested for yet in the area.
    Even so, we watched some good racing, although the length of the course where we were was somewhat small, but contained 2 turns. I got camcorder footage of one team rolling their Subaru off the 180 degree turn and down a 100'(more or less) hillside. The driver & navigator were OK. They even watched my video of their "mishap".
    I heard rumors of Speed Channel airing the race around April 18.

8. James#306

James#306 Backmarker Extraordinaire

Ooooooo more ways to burn money! [​IMG]

9. Pam_G

Pam_G Banned

Hey, you can probably start in off-road rally racing for about the same amount of cash as motorcycle roadracing.

10. James#306

Yup, I am sorely tempted to pull an old CRX out of a junk yard to go slip-sliding thru the dirt with. [​IMG]
    But if its anything like bike racing it will quickly consume... everything. hehehe

11. Pam_G

Pam_G Banned

Hey, I'm talking about an already race-prepped car with rollcage, computer, driver-to-navigator comm. system for the price of a racebike. This would probably be something like an older VW or Honda, mind you.

12. Due North

Paris-Dakkar rules!!! Now that's endurance racing, 6-8 hours @ 100mph for 19 days.

13. EMathy

EMathy Dreaming of a *****...

Uh, are you saying you have leads to said vehicles?

Now THAT is tempting.

14. Tracee Polcin

Tracee Polcin Pic by IYF Photo

Or how about the Tour de France for an endurance race. 28 stages (days) on a frickin' bicycle. Those dudes are real iron men. [​IMG]

15. Pam_G

Pam_G Banned

No, no official leads. I haven't searched the 'net for that yet. Just word of mouth information from the guy that was the SCCA "head honcho" of our spectator area on Saturday.

I'm not saying that you're going to find a rally car in the same low-rent price range as a GS500, tho. [​IMG]

[This message has been edited by Pam_G (edited 03-19-2002).]

16. Due North

I thought those bicycle guys were all impotent. [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

17. James#306

Pam, Adelita is going to be mad at you if you get me into Rallying. [​IMG]

18. EMathy

Curses! Foiled again! [​IMG] [​IMG]

19. Greg Gabis

Greg Gabis Slow Traffic

You can find ready to rally cars for under $5K. It's not a GS500, but it's cheaper than a new GSXR/R/ZX!

The real POS cars can be had for $2500 ready to rally.
    http://www.bensrallypage.com/forsale/forsale.html

[This message has been edited by Greg Gabis (edited 03-19-2002).]

20. EMathy

You are SO not helping. [​IMG]