1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Anyone here with a basic garage machine shop that wants to make some extra $$$?

Discussion in 'General' started by motion, May 31, 2020.

1. lopitt85

lopitt85 Well-Known Member

Sounds like you'll probably forget more about welding than my limited experience will ever know.

When I decided to learn to weld I did lots of reading, studying, watching instructional videos from professional welders and welding instructors.

General consensus seemed to be that wire size for wire size, flux had deeper penetration at equal settings. IIRC, it was something to do with current running through the hollow wire (less metal) made it run hotter, putting more heat into the metal, resulting in deeper penetration. Similar issue popped up when trying to use flux on sheet metal. There were problems with it blowing through with flux where the same size solid wire didn't.

I'm familiar with the advantage of the flux which allows not using gas, especially useful in windy situations. But it also makes it possible for the DIY welder like me by simplifying the welding process at home. Slag is removed in seconds with a wire wheel on a grinder. And I've been able to get some really good looking welds with flux, no grinding necessary. You can also grind, sand and paint and have it look perfect. Also pretty easy.

All I'm saying is that with a little practice, he can make a great looking product himself and cut his costs by not farming out the work.

I'm always open to learning more so I'm open to any insight you can provide.

Last edited: Jun 2, 2020
  2. wheelz96

wheelz96 Well-Known Member

I am a CWI and taught welding classes for a while and now I manage a weld shop at a large manufacturing facility. No argument here that MIG can be taught quickly, and with little practice you can have a decent looking weld.

I just wanted to inform the OP or anyone who cares, that FCAW is not going to give more penetration then GMAW. It's all the other variables that affect penetration such as amperage, material thickness, wirespeed, stickout, and technique. With that said, any machine with .035 or even .030 electrode will provide more then enough amps to weld these plates on with zero concern of failure. The extra time needed to clean the welds due to the fact this is a visual part, makes using FCAW unnecessary and will add more time.

3. 83BSA

83BSA Well-Known Member

Grinding to make welds acceptable does not make you a welder - it makes you a grinder.

Cheers,

Dave

4. tgold

tgold Well-Known Member

True! I'd love to do this with my TIG machine and make 'em look nice!

5. ChemGuy

ChemGuy Harden The F%@# Up!

FTFY...

Phl218 and lopitt85 like this.
  6. lopitt85

That was meant as in on some parts, people may not even want to see "pretty" welds. You can weld two pieces of metal together, grind/sand and make it look like nothing was ever welded. Kind of like finish work on sheet metal.

He could have a pretty stack of dimes look on the kick stand and paint right over it. Or he could grind then sand the welds away and make it look like nothing was ever welded.

JCW likes this.
  7. wheelz96

I dont know anyone who wants to use a grinder after they welded unless they are hiding a fuckup. Paint magnifies good welds, poor welds, and especially grind marks!

8. lopitt85

I would wager someone patching rust repair on a fender of a 68 Dodge Charger would definately want the weld ground smooth before final paint and body work

Someone who just had a nice set of headers built for their race bike probably doesn't.

What form of welding is this?

Screenshot_20200602-162340_Chrome.jpg

Edit: Sorry OP, didn't mean to drag your thread off topic

9. wheelz96

GTAW and maybe some resistance welding.

10. Boman Forklift

Boman Forklift Well-Known Member

So when you are getting your CWI, do they teach you to consider skipping the acronyms when speaking to the unwashed masses? FCAW, GTAW, GMAW, PaPaw, GranMa, GranPa......well at least I knew what the last three meant without google.:D

I had to google that, but evidently that also means TIG.

wheelz96 likes this.
  11. JCW

JCW Well-Known Member

I made a set of pipes like those for the same bike I welded the kickstand for.
    TIG'd in mild steel, ceramic coated and looks OK after 3 years.

The distortion welding it up almost ruined the whole experience... but got er done!!!

Of course the pic you linked was a much more exotic metal. The yellow discoloration appears to be titanium.

FB_IMG_1591150094407.jpg
    FB_IMG_1591150402491.jpg

Last edited: Jun 2, 2020
    Banditracer likes this.
  12. lopitt85

The only ones I knew off hand are FCAW (flux core arc welding) and GMAW (gas shielded arc welding, i.e. MIG) if I'm not mistaken. Those are the ones I studied up in as I was deciding what method I wanted to learn for my basic at home DIY needs. I settled on FCAW for simplicity. No need to buy gas. But there is also a gas shielded flux process. I never really understood why you would use both shielding methods. I'll go ask google

13. auminer

auminer Renaissance Redneck

.... So I guess that JB Weld is a no go for this project?

Flex Seal?

ClemsonsR6 likes this.
  14. ChemGuy

ChemGuy Harden The F%@# Up!

Billy May's Might Putty...FTW
    [​IMG]

:D

auminer likes this.
  15. wheelz96

FCAW= Flux core, GMAW= Mig, GTAW= Tig, SMAW= Stick.

When you test to become a CWI they only talk in acronyms and terminology that even welders and engineers have never heard of before... It was like getting a 4 year degree in a week. Hardest test I have ever taken and I think it's like a 17% pass rate on your first go. FYI, all the acronyms above are kind of self-explanatory, the letters match the welding process associated with it. It's not a trick question lol.

Boman Forklift likes this.
  16. wheelz96

GMAW= Gas metal arc welding. GTAW= Gas Tungsten Arc Welding. SMAW= Shielded Metal Arc Welding. SAW= Submerged Arc Welding

17. wheelz96

And for what it's worth I did send a quote to the OP for this job... Not trying to sidetrack thread.

18. Boman Forklift

Boman Forklift Well-Known Member

Hopefully you used plain English and no acronyms....LOLOLOL I know the OP, and I'm sure he would appreciate nickel and dime words, versus half dollar and susan b anthony words.

wheelz96 likes this.
  19. Venom51

Venom51 John Deere Equipment Expert - Not really

A grinder and paint make me the welder I ain't.

83BSA and lopitt85 like this.
  20. lopitt85

I'm not a welder but I can make 2 pieces of metal stick together :moon: