1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Anyone here with a basic garage machine shop that wants to make some extra $$$?

Discussion in 'General' started by motion, May 31, 2020.

1. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

Ain't dead if my kid is still sporting a Moto-R shirt. :D

(I'll shoot ya' a photo next time she sports it).

Britt likes this.
  2. raven21

raven21 Well-Known Member

Ive got a company that can do that and we can laser cut out the round pieces.

sdiver and motion like this.
  3. turner38

turner38 Well-Known Member

Ha, I’ve been planning on doing the same thing to my KTM since I bought it. Just never remember to when I have the time...

4. motion

motion Nihilistic Member

Thanks for all the responses.... it looks like there are a few here that can handle this and are interested. I'll put together a brief description (a bit more detailed) and post it up. If you're interested, you can send me a message with your cost. Thanks.

5. JCW

JCW Well-Known Member

I did my Yamaha xs750 side stand. Didn't even paint it. It has a nice layer of surface rust but still solid after 4 years. BTW in the grand world of welding, this is like one of the easier welds to make. Put your shop apprentice to work...

side stand.jpg

6. beechkingd

beechkingd Well-Known Member

Bend your cotter pin the rest of the way.

7. turner38

I have been pondering the idea of putting a ball joint on the foot of the stand on the 790 along with a 2 1/2” round foot. Many times for me the easiest way to turn it around on a tight trail is with a stand swivel.

8. 83BSA

83BSA Well-Known Member

Dirt track it. Plant your foot, knee against the tank, lock the bars in the direction you're turning and gas it and spin the bike. Takes a bit o' practice, but you know what I'm talking about.

Cheers,

Dave

Britt and turner38 like this.
  9. turner38

I’ve found that with a 29” Inseam and a 34” seat height that isn’t the best plan of attack for me....
    LOL

10. Motofun352

Motofun352 Well-Known Member

Stupid question........why shorten it? Every time I screwed with a setup I found I needed to increase the length.

11. Scotty87

Scotty87 Lacks accountability

I take in work like that often. Britt is light years more talented and set up than me, but that’s within my scope. I’d be interested.

Britt likes this.
  12. Pneumatico Delle Vittorie

Pneumatico Delle Vittorie Retired "Tire" Guy

[​IMG]

auminer likes this.
  13. Pneumatico Delle Vittorie

From a Yamaha CT3 that's in my garage
    upload_2020-6-1_17-19-55.png

14. ChemGuy

ChemGuy Harden The F%@# Up!

Did you get that from the JC Whitney Catalog?

Does the bike a "keep on trucking" sticker on it?

:D

turner38 likes this.
  15. motion

motion Nihilistic Member

OK, I have a line on the 1/8" 2.5" circle pads, so no need to create those. Here is the work:

Quantity 25 Lots

1. I will ship you qty 25 side stands - initially these will be new, but then will be used core returns.

2. Cut off stock stand at bottom, 1/4” above footpad, at proper angle.

3. Weld on new footpad - you’re probably going to want to make some type of jig for consistency

4. Clean side stand and rattle can matte black

5. Ship 25 modified side stands to me

Please have a look at the weld quality in the prototype pic I posted. I'm looking for something close to that quality. These aren't SpaceX items, so the welds don't need to be perfect, but should be pretty good.

If you're interested, drop me a PM with your pricing per 25 lot. Thanks.

16. KneeDragger_c69

KneeDragger_c69 Well-Known Member

Should use that same jig to do the angled cut, to make sure it keeps its consistency as well ;)

Just a little FYI :)

17. motion

motion Nihilistic Member

Agreed!

KneeDragger_c69 likes this.
  18. Pneumatico Delle Vittorie

Ha, not my bike and it looks home made to me.

19. lopitt85

lopitt85 Well-Known Member

Honestly I'd recommend you do it yourself and pocket the expense of farming it out. Welding is pretty easy. I had a buddy teach me in an hour and I've been welding ever since.

If your're getting pre-cut discs that really simplifies it for you. You just need a miter saw with a good "metal" blade.

You can use flux core wiring to remove the need for gas. A grinder to make the welds pretty. Don't believe the naysayers on flux, it's used a lot in structural welding because it gets deeper penetration.

20. wheelz96

wheelz96 Well-Known Member

Flux core does not give you deeper penetration. Flux core has the advantage to be used outdoors because it does not use gas shielding gas (hence the flux). It is not used because of penetration. It is also a more expensive electrode vs a hardwire.
    I am not a "naysayer" as I have welded FCAW for many years. Same with GTAW and GMAW. You also will have to clean up the slag which takes away from your "pretty" welds. This job should be done via GMAW or GTAW. A kickstand is a product that is viewed by anyone who sees the bike and I wouldn't want mine looking like birdshit with grind marks everywhere...