1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Anyone ever done a trackday at Philip Island, Austrilia?

Discussion in 'General' started by MOTOXAZ, Apr 30, 2012.

1. MOTOXAZ

MOTOXAZ Well-Known Member

So I got the great idea what it would be a great once in a lifetime experience to try and do a track day at Philip Island. I live in Phoenix, AZ.

I am looking at options to ship the bike down there. Do I try and see if I can ship it directly to the track and see if they could put in a garage for me until I get there. There is also the issue of getting through customs. Has anyone ever done anything like this before? Does anyone have any connections to a good reputable shop down there that I could possibly ship it to them to hold for me?

Any info anyone has for ever doing anything international would be greatly appreciated. I know we have some Isle of Man riders and other international peeps here.

2. HPPT

HPPT !!!

Doesn't Wayne Gardner or someone have a school at the track?

3. 418

418 Expert #59

4. footwork

footwork Honda Research Analyst

unless you will be racing in an event I would absolutely NOT take your own bike.... just find one down there and save a huge hassle, risk and expense.

5. 675AV8R

675AV8R Jetski Extraordinaire

No but I'd sure like to.

6. ckruzel

ckruzel Graphicologist Xtremeist

bunch of guys on apriliaforum.com have, lots of aussie's on that forum

7. MOTOXAZ

Yeah I have already seen Mega and will probably end up doing the trackday through them.

I know it will be a huge hassel but I really want to use my own bike set up just for me and the way I like it.

8. MOTOXAZ

Am I missing a point your trying to make? I see that I have 12 months to have it there

9. 418

418 Expert #59

It's gonna cost you thousands to get it there but each their own. Get with a shipping broker, you need to talk to people that help guys like KWS get to Macau, etc. They'll tell you the ins and outs of everything and then you get to write the check and wait.

10. MOTOXAZ

Thanks 418 that is the inside info I am needing. Trying to get all the details together to see if it is something that is even possible. Out of the gate without doing much research I have put about a $5k budget down for it but like I said need to get more details and inside info.

11. earacing

earacing Race Dad

12. RichB

RichB Well-Known Member

When Superbike school releases dates for later this year there's a chance there'll be back to back days followed by a trackday shortly afterwards, at least you'd get a few days there.

13. Seems pretty straightforward to me. If you are having difficulty understanding the requirements, and you're still dead-set on taking your motorcycle to Australia for a vacation, you should find an import/export broker to help you, and pay their exorbitant fees.

14. Christian157

Christian157 Well-Known Member

I did one in 2009. PM me and I can give you all the details you need. Rented one of their gsxr 600s. I may go back this november and do a trackday there again as well as Eastern Creek near Sydney. Cost wasn't bad at all aside from the plane ticket to and from. I was there on vacation for 3 weeks and did the trackday on my next to last day.
    http://www.phillipislandridedays.com.au/pird_welcome Christian

15. motion

motion Nihilistic Member

Personally, I would buy an Aprilia RS250 down there, track it, then sell it. They are the ultimate track day bike, and you would save thousands over shipping your own bike there. They are plentiful down under.

16. MOTOXAZ

Yeah I am still planning on bring my R6. Sounds like its gonna be a lot more hassel but there is nothing like a bike set up just the way you like it

17. antirich

antirich Well-Known Member

:stupid:

Did something like that in California. Much cheaper than rental or shipping a bike. Just gotta get something that'll hold its value.

Australia is now crazy expensive; exchange rate isn't want it used to be.

18. L8RSK8R

L8RSK8R Well-Known Member

Whats so special about how you have your R6 setup?

19. 675AV8R

675AV8R Jetski Extraordinaire

Right? It's a trackday. It's not like you're trying out for the Yamaha WSBK team.