1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Anyone ever carried a rear shock! in their carry on luggage?

Discussion in 'General' started by speedkelly, Feb 13, 2012.

1. speedkelly

speedkelly Well-Known Member

I have a nice Ohlins rear shock that I need to take with me on a flight. Do you think I could carry it in my carry on luggage or would TSA make me check it?

Thanks gang.

2. beac83

beac83 "My safeword is bananna"

Probably would need to check it. It's big and heavy enough to be considered potentially dangerous to the crew.

3. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

N8 did. :D

4. HPPT

HPPT !!!

Wouldn't the amount of fluid contained be enough to disqualify it anyway?

5. Fastjedi350

Fastjedi350 Well-Known Member

I wouldn't try it. I tried it and they got more than pissy and with the way they are treating people right now they would proab take it and sell it on eBay. I would just ship it in a hard case. If you check it it could be construed as a bomb and wham your buying your shock back off eBay. Don't trust the Mann!!!!!

6. tophyr

tophyr Grid Filler

Ship it if it's an option. Brandon Cretu had a hell of a time getting a shock and some forks back from TSA after bringing them home from the IOM.

7. speedkelly

speedkelly Well-Known Member

Ok, well, it was worth a shot. I'll check I'm or use Fedex. Thanks guys.

8. eggfooyoung

eggfooyoung You no eat more!

Just put a sticker on it that says "Not A Bomb" and carry that bitch on thru. :up:

9. SPL170db

SPL170db Trackday winner

"LA BOMBA!!!"

10. mfbRSV

mfbRSV Well-Known Member

The problem is that it is pressurized.

11. Stirz

Stirz Makes my butt look big

Check it!

Dude - definitely check it. I recently flew back from Jamaica and had a fly reel in my carry-on. (fishing sucks in Jamaica, BTW - overfished unless you get a ways off shore). Got to TSA in Hollywood FLA and they pulled it out, looked at it, scratched their heads and asked what it was. I explained it, and they said I couldn't take it on the plane....

Me: "but I flew with it from Jamaica to here on the plane"
    Retard: 'I don't care what you did, it isn't allowable'.
    M: how do you know? You didn't even know what it was a minute ago. Can you at least tell me why?
    R: you could use it to choke someone...
    M: I could use my shoelaces to do that too, but I can wear shoes, right?

So I had to go backwards to the check in desk, get them to track down my bag so I could put it in my carry on, hurry back through TSA and hope to hell I didn't miss my flight after being away on work for two weeks.

Bottom line.... don't chance it - you don't know what Idjut you will run into at TSA. And it's a lot easier to bonk someone on the head with a shock than choke someone with some fly line..

12. YellowRacer

YellowRacer I can pass this guy...

Hahahahahahaha!! :crackup:

13. Chip

Chip Registered

Yep. Tell them you have it and what it is up front and you should have no issues. I have flown all over the country with just about every part that ever be fixed to a racing motorcycle.

14. beac83

beac83 "My safeword is bananna"

Be glad they didn't take your shoes and laces so you wouldn't be threat!
    :crackup:

15. fullmetalF4i

fullmetalF4i C. Lee #826

That's insane.
    I got on a plane with 15 quick draws, 5 locking beaners, 70 meters of rope and a bunch of other climbing equipment including a small pocket knife that I didn't know was still in my pack.

16. snowbizx

snowbizx Well-Known Member

damn TSA has about 12 of my mini swiss army knife keychains. i always forget to remove them. cool story, huh?

17. Gehr

Gehr whAt mE woRRy?

I've taken an Ohlins rear damper off my 04' GSX-R600 with my carry on luggage on a few flights back in 08' with no issues. Had a business trip I needed to go to & from there to a WERA West race in Vegas & from there a flight home. Needed to figure out if the spring rate was right & my suspension guy was going to be at the track that weekend.

Couldn't ride anyway so why not take it with me on a plane? If the spring rate wasn't right they could swap in the right one at the track. I held it in my hand in plain sight through the TSA screening process and had no issues at all. Only people staring at me were other passengers & a few asked me what bike was that off of as it was a cool damper.

TSA staff at LAX just shook their heads & said they had seen it before. Asked me if it was off a motorcycle & I said it sure was. TSA staff @ San Francisco airport asked me what bike it was off of.

Do it.

18. drebv4

drebv4 Well-Known Member

Before 9/11 I carried on a small chainsaw with gas and oil in it, ready to run. Now there's one in the glass case at Hartsfield along with other things that a re a no-no. Times are certainly different...

19. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

I LOVE the glass box of shit taken away in the last X days. There's always a leaf blower in there. :crackup:

20. Gigantic

Gigantic Maverick Moto Media

damn, beat me to it.