1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Anybody race the 848?

Discussion in 'General' started by Bones74, Sep 1, 2008.

1. RumbleStrip

RumbleStrip Well-Known Member

NCR Ducati has raced it in Canada in Canadian Thunder with Vatler Bartolini and Andrew Nelson. Nelson also raced the bike at VIR in FX a few weeks ago. There were a few people from Ducati NA this weekend @ Shannonville to watch.

2. I have one that son Josh (WERA Ex#54) raced at Road A -Hvy Wt Twin and C Superstock. He liked it. He normally rides a 2008 R6 and felt it was competitive - his lap times were similar. All I've done to it is the addition of Arrow slip-ons and my dyno reading went from 119.3 to 124.8 hp and 67 ft-lbs. Lots of hp for $500 ! :beer:
    I track it alot and can run well w/all the 600s. Rod Burns at MSP and a buddy ran them all this year in WERA SE and did well - they love'em. Very reliable and handles dreamy - brakes are killer.
    My 2 boys and I are considering running just them(instad of the R6 and CBR) in WERA next season - that ought to tell you something.

3. Hyperdyne

Hyperdyne Indy United SBK

Are there any special tools that one should aquire before racing an 848. As well, any info on parts that should be changed or extras that should be kept on hand?

Thanks

4. Bones74

Bones74 Official Back Marker.

Sounds like my next bike, Thanks everyone:up:

5. heavy penny

heavy penny I like to make slide

6. Due to the single swingarm, you have to have a special Pit Bull stand. It comes w/a pin for the wheel side of the bike (it's ridiculously easy to change tires!), so you must order another pin for the sprocket side as the holes in the hub are different sizes. You'll need a monster sized socket for the wheel side nut - I forget what - maybe a 52mm or something like that, but LP has it specifically for the Duc 1098 and it fits the 848. BTW, many of the parts for the 848 are the same as a 1098, so when looking for parts, don't be dicouraged if they don't call out the 848 specifically. You'll need specially designed frame sliders that are made by Mad Duc - again in LP's catalog and they ain't cheap, but look what they're protecting! That's really it, believe it or not. The brakes are Brembo, the lines are already steel, the wheels are Marchinsi(sp), the tires wear great and the bike likes the stock gearing every where. It's a torque monster so the stock gearing does well at Barber as well as Road A - how cool is that. I kinda like a little more grunt out of the corners say at Jennings or Barber so I run a 14t front there and I'm not running at an Expert pace either. :D

Get ya one! :rock:

Gotta add that the bike comes from the factory set up extremely tight w/way too much rebound. The bike is really up on its front tire way too much - makes it feel nervous and twitchy. I had GMC set the sag correctly and relax the rear shock, click a few times on front compression and she drove out of the corners smooth as silk.

Last edited: Sep 3, 2008
  7. GCBusa

GCBusa Well-Known Member

Oh great, as if Ryan Hall wasn't enough, now I've got to deal with Josh and Sam too in HWTs? These damn kids sure make it tough on an old guy. Guess I better just go back to Senior SB where I belong. :D

8. ed who?

ed who? the opposite of eharmony.

There is nothing to be scared of! CHeck out www.speedymoto.com they make awesome tools and parts for the Ducati's!

Our maintance has been easy! Best advice is to hook up with a local Ducati shop. While we do a TON of Ducati's with performance parts, minor service, dyno tuning, etc. we dont do "everything" so when we need something, we just turn to our local dealer, MotoCorsa who is a huge supporter, excited to have a ducati racing without their having to worry about it, build it. Most big dealers would love to see more 848's out there.

To work on the Ducati 848 is WAYYYYY easier to do day to day things like swap tires, swap gearing, everything is quick released, etc.

Get over the old 851 era worries and run one guys!!

9. ahastings

ahastings Well-Known Member

actually you can run it competetively in more classes then a 600. C sb, B ss, B sb, mw solo 20, hwt ss, hwt sb. I have been racing one all year. top speed wise pretty even with most 600s except the built R6s, a bit more grunt off the corners. qualified for 3 ama FX rounds on mine with a bone stock motor . It did ok, but def. needs to be built to keep up with even the privateer built 600s on the long straights.

10. Been-Jammin

Been-Jammin Nomonyx dominicus

Watch the radiator to airbox clearance. There's a throttle cable retaining clip that can come loose and rub a hole in the radiator. This can also happen if the radiator bolt comes loose. This has happend to a few 848/1098's that I know of, including mine.

The 998/996/748 rear wheel fits & it uses a 749/999 front. Makes spares a bit easier to find. The 1098 rear has a larger diameter center & won't fit.

11. gpstar748

gpstar748 Well-Known Member

thats a suprise the wheels from the old 99X series will fit..........good info there :up:

12. fastfreddie

fastfreddie Midnight Oil Garage

no c ss?

13. gpstar748

gpstar748 Well-Known Member

no its not C SS legal

14. Boosted Josh

Boosted Josh Well-Known Member

How do they crash? I've been considering getting one to pull double duty as a track day bike and some street. I know I'll end up throwing it down, are they pretty tough?

15. Mr Sunshine

Mr Sunshine Banned

+1 but knowing me it'll be raced before the end of the first season owning it.

16. That trellis style frame is tough and easier to re-tweak if need be. I got a cheap set of E-Line body work that I slap on for track days or racing and try not to think about it. You WILL track this bike after you ride a little on the road - it's shweet, phat and all that! :D