1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Any watch lovers here????

Discussion in 'General' started by vizsladog, Jan 27, 2009.

1. Hawk518

Hawk518 Resident Alien

Thank you.

2. JBraun

JBraun Well-Known Member

Good choice. The 36mm makes a great women's watch. She'll love it.

3. zx6rfool

zx6rfool Stacks Wood

Thoughts on Sea-Gull watches?

4. Steeltoe

Steeltoe What's my move?

Saw a movie mentioned on a TT fan page. Called "The Watchmaker's Apprentice". Supposed to be really good. It's an Isle of Man production hence the tie in. I'll have to check it out.

5. Jedb

Jedb Professional Novice :-)

6. JBraun

JBraun Well-Known Member

I'm selling my Hamilton Intra Matic if anyone is interested.

42mm, black calfskin strap, silver dial, polished case. ETA 2892-2 automatic.

Box and papers, perfect condition, worn twice.

Asking $400.00. Retail is $945. Best deal online is Joma at $654.

[​IMG]

7. Phl218

Phl218 .

^ nice one!

Any opinions on the Baume et Mercier Capeland series?

8. cpettit

cpettit Well-Known Member

That's sweet. I really dig some of the Hamilton stuff.

I went ahead and bought my wife the Tag. She saves every card I buy her, no way in hell she will ever try to get rid of a nice watch and for 65% off retail those are some easy points for the good guy. Guess who's gonna get some on Christmas morning........:clap:

9. sbhockey

sbhockey Orange shirt #157

Beautiful watch, great price. Wish I had a reason to wear something a little dressier more often.

10. JBraun

JBraun Well-Known Member

Watch snobs don't give B&M much love, but I've had a Capeland S chronograph for about 10 years and it's still one of my favorite watches. It's just a base ETA 7750, which is nothing exciting, but the watch is just built solid and feels great to wear.

11. Trev230EX

Trev230EX Put me in coach

I have a B&M as well. It's a Tank Chrono with a polished bracelet. I've had it since 2001. I wore it daily until about 2008 and it still looks new and has held up very well. They are excellent watches.

12. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

I'm no fan of B&M. Don't hate them but just don't "like" em.

13. Phl218

Phl218 .

thing is, with all the looking around, i can't make up my mind.

like the looks of the superocean heritages, but OTOH, they're a bit snobby. and have thick housings.

the submariner is above my comfort zone in regards of what i want to spend, although i really like it. but then again, it's some sort of standard watch - not in a bad way, but they are very popular in their class...

what i like about the capeland, is the glass bottom, the refreshing dial and the overall design. tried to find something about the symbol (is it the capital PHI of the greek alphabet?) and what is the correlation to the name?

i will keep looking...

thanks guys!

14. Jedb

Phil,

Have you looked at Tudor? Their Black Bay is a really good submariner.

15. JBraun

JBraun Well-Known Member

See?:D

16. JBraun

JBraun Well-Known Member

What's your budget? I'm guessing $2-3k?

My choices for a new watch in that range would include Hamilton and Oris for a sports watch. If you can lean a little more elegant, Fredrique Constant has some cool stuff with manufacture movements that are affordable.

I also would not rule out a pre-owned Tudor, or a vintage-ish Omega. Both would be your price range, and a safe buy.

17. Phl218

Phl218 .

correct, well, i could spend more, but it would kinda hurt, like DaveK hurt ;)

as i am not a real watch enthusiast (yet?) i don't want to go overboard. i understand, the nicer or more popular, the better the resale value, but i am looking for something i love and am going to keep. thanks a lot, that's the kind of advice i was looking for! :beer:

18. OGs750

OGs750 Well-Known Member

PM sent

19. Jedb

20. JBraun

JBraun Well-Known Member

It gets worse, trust me. If your hand doesn't shake when you hand over the credit card, you're punching below your weight. :D

If you like the B&M, get it. You won't regret it. The first five or so watches I bought were probably mistakes, but you need to go through that on the way to building a collection. Out of those, I still wear three, and love them even though they weren't good investment pieces, and won't blow the watch geeks away at a dinner party.

The biggest reason to buy a watch, or a collection of watches, is for the enjoyment of wearing them. No one will ever notice your watch. The enjoyment comes from wearing the little machine on your wrist. Sounds weird, but they're almost animate. It's like having a companion.

Sorry got a little melodramatic just there...