1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Any thouughts on or experience with Powerhouse brand generators?

Discussion in 'General' started by Andymax, Jul 25, 2012.

1. Andymax

Andymax Well-Known Member

My one of the local RV dealers is now selling these in lieu of Honda's, as they say they price/performance/reliability gap is so much narrower than it used to be, and that they've had great success with them. Since generators are such point of discussion around here I'd hoped someone might know a thing or two about them.
    Yes, I know it's not a honda or yamaha, nor will ever be. Yes, I am trying hard not to be "that guy" with the loud genny in the pits or at the campsight, but I have budget issues to deal with too.

thoughts?

2. fullmetalF4i

fullmetalF4i C. Lee #826

i was looking at them while in northern tool before NOLA. they seem like a decent deal, and the decible level between the 2200 and the eu2000i honda is something like 2-4 (infavor of the honda), so its not like you're bringing a construction site genny to the track.
    buy the best generator your money can buy that has more than enough to run what you want.
    I went with a champion generator instead of the powerhouse because it was on sale and I got more watts for the $$$, this let me also let me power a pit neighbor's tire warmers as they were without power.

I'd rather you be "that guy" who will hook another racer up with some power for warmers because you bought something in your budget with more watts than a genny snob who spent the equivelent to a race weekend on a generator that will only power his warmers and fan...

3. Knotcher

Knotcher Well-Known Member

Are you saying you powered 2 sets of warmers from one 2000 watt unit?

4. Aberk

Aberk Well-Known Member

5. ruckusracing

ruckusracing Well-Known Member

6. Andymax

7. cBJr

cBJr Well-Known Member

I bought a 4000W Champion generator last week and am impressed so far. It's not much louder than my buddie's Honda. It's way heavier though.

8. Andymax

I'm looking at Champion too but I can get a really great deal on this powerhouse one. enough of a deal to sway me if I can convince myself its the smart-ish thing to do.

9. tommyd273

tommyd273 Well-Known Member

I bought a pair of 50' 12 gauge extension cords, plug them into each other, park at the end of the back of the back row and put it as far away from anyone else as possible. And, no, I don't run the darn thing at night, just so I could have a fan on me.

10. ThrottleAbuse

ThrottleAbuse Will Race for CASH!

They are selling them because they have a higher profit margin.

11. Andymax

yeah, but does that necessarily negate the value? It is HALF the price of a Honda (new).

12. ThrottleAbuse

ThrottleAbuse Will Race for CASH!

It does when it wears out twice as fast.

Find a buddy and pitch in on his generator gas until you can save up enough loot to get a generator that will still be running in 20 years.

13. L8RSK8R

L8RSK8R Well-Known Member