1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Any R5 pistons out there?

Discussion in 'WERA Vintage' started by STAN LIPERT, Dec 4, 2003.

1. STAN LIPERT

STAN LIPERT Well-Known Member

Help! Does anyone have any new or used Yamaha R5 350cc pistons for sale, I would consider any size. Is there any retrofit from any other engines?

Thanks, Stan

2. WERA33

WERA33 Well-Known Member

pro-flow had wiseco do a run them a while back, not sure if they still have them though.

3. YAM#849

YAM#849 y'all watch this...

Also Rick Merhar had some R5 Wisecos at one time. Not sure if he sold them all.

4. 512V

512V Well-Known Member

Stan,
    I have a few R5 pistons for sale.They are the later ones that use the RD ring.
    What kind of project are you up to now?
    Email me at [email protected]
    Tom

5. WERA33

WERA33 Well-Known Member

sounds like a V2 project!!!!!!!!

6. STAN LIPERT

Thanks for the replies, guys, I didn't think there were any pistons left at all. As it turns out, a local racer only 20 min. away has NOS pistons at a smokin' price (dykes ring type, of which I have some). Another source that came up is Speed & Sport (570) 784-6831, they say they have all sizes of pistons and rings NOS in stock! $73.44/piston, $52.35/rings. Not bad.

No comment on the aplication:D

Stan

7. YAM#849

Confucius say, "Man who messes with dyke's ring may end up with damaged piston!" ;)

8. TommyD

TommyD Well-Known Member

Sounds like secret shit.Anybody else have any secret stuff we should know about before next year?

9. STAN LIPERT

I'm only anticipating an engine output around 35HP with a redline of 9K or so. Definatly not TR3 specs. What does Confucius say to that?

10. YAM#849

I was just clowning. Only troubles I've heard of were when high rpm's and wide exhaust ports were brought into the picture. Don't know your plans, but 35 rwhp could be achieved with pipes and no porting, so I don't see a problem.

11. STAN LIPERT

Whew,

:rolleyes:

I thought I would be OKay, but you had me worried there was something I didn't know about. ;)

12. Yamaha Fan

Yamaha Fan Well-Known Member

I had a problem with the Dykes ring style RD pistons, had a set in the 400 for 2/3rds of this year. (they came with the cylinders and the bore was set properly so I figured why waste them).

I felt the motor tighten up at Kershaw in practice and pulled over..

here is my thoughts on it..

The ring pin had been pushed in allowing the ring to rotate. Because of the way the dykes ring is relieved for the pin on the horizontal plane and the pin is centered in the groove only the vertical section of the ring comes in contact with the end of the pin.

The constant hammering on the pin drove it into the piston, the ring was then free to rotate. I caught the slowdown before the ring totally snagged and broke. It caused some port edge damage and a light seizure.. (required a 2 size increase in the bore to clean up the cylinder)

If I was going to run a Dykes ring piston again I would keep a close watch on the pin with regular inspections..

I know some people have converted their R5 cylinders to run a snowmobile piston, I think it required some light machining of the base gasket surface…

as far as 35 HP@9000, that would be an mild state of tune... I ran some BMEP numbers on it if your interested drop me a note...

13. YAM#849

I always try to keep in mind that there IS something I didn't know about. ;) Always.