1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Any ninja 650 gurus in the house?

Discussion in 'General' started by tdoss1980, Aug 21, 2023.

1. tdoss1980

tdoss1980 Well-Known Member

Looking for any information on motor combability between the years of the ninja 650. From what I can tell the different generations are 06-08, 09-11, 12-16 and then 17+. We have a 2011 model and needs a motor

Thanks in advance for any help.

2. Monsterdood

Monsterdood Well-Known Member

06-11 are all the same engines. Zoran @TWF2 probably knows them as well as anyone on here. There are a few tweaks for 12-something and then some more significant changes later on.

BigBird likes this.
  3. TWF2

TWF2 2 heads are better than 1

I don't know about newer ones. I worked on older ones when we raced them.

4. BigBird

BigBird blah

I have 2012 650 track bike that hasn't been started in a few years. I believe 09-16 are basically the same motor.

I used an exhaust from the 2009 and it bolted right up.

kawiforums.com or the Ninja 650 subsection of riderforums.com was always helpful when I was doing my research.

Last edited: Aug 21, 2023
  5. Sabre699

Sabre699 Wait...hold my beer.

Whaaaaaaaaa?? :eek:

BigBird likes this.
  6. stickboy274

stickboy274 Stick-a-licious Tire Dude

It sounds like you should talk BB into selling his racebike. A bunch of spare and a motor that should fit.

tdoss1980 and BigBird like this.
  7. Monsterdood

Monsterdood Well-Known Member

I think some minor engine mount flange changed in ‘12. It’s something like you need the jugs off an 06-11 and then it works. And then in ‘17, they went to smaller valves and some other nonsense to make it better for the street. Booo. Where’s the 700 twin from Kawi with trick electronics and upside down forks?

BigBird and PeaPod like this.
  8. G Dawg

G Dawg Broken Member

Same answer as to why Suzuki is not building a SV700 .
    Would have been nice to even have the option to buy kit parts .

I'm knowledgeable up until 2012 .
    Maybe @DDK732 might know .

Last edited: Aug 22, 2023