1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Any leads on a 4x4 Sprinter 170 wheelbase?

Discussion in 'General' started by Monsterdood, Jun 30, 2017.

1. speedluvn

speedluvn Man card Issuer

This purchase and your adventures are worthless without photos of said adventure vehicle and 50 yr old cougars with bad feet.

2. Monsterdood

Monsterdood Well-Known Member

Well, we made a sign to attract the local wives! RenderedContent-3C4CA4E7-5A68-447B-A528-F687555FA9B5.JPG

GrayGhost likes this.
  3. brex

brex Well-Known Member

You should put quotation marks around back massages.

4. Monsterdood

Here's a good pic from this weekend up near Watkins Glen, NY.

[​IMG]

The interior setup. The dinette seats fold up leaving a 36" wide and 8.5' deep cargo area for a motorbike. There are bed rails at 45" height and removable panels so that I can actually fit a bike, with the front fairing removed, under the bed. I plan to get a pitbull TRS to eliminate the tie down coordination problem.

[​IMG]

And finally the roof rack, with ladder, to throw all sorts of stuff onto....

[​IMG]

Still a work in progress.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

5. shakazulu12

shakazulu12 Well-Known Member

That's actually pretty badass IMHO

6. Monsterdood

I just installed a 50" dual row Lightforce LED light bar.... because light. How have others routed the wiring harness for these roof mounted light bars? Sprinter Source and google are not giving me the easy to follow approaches I was looking for. I see a bunch of rigged setups with sealant filled holes or harnesses through door jambs.

I am thinking of an electrical pass through box on the roof that uses compression fittings for the harness sealing and then butyl tape and sealant around the edge of the box. Being in aerospace, I am almost thinking about putting a sealed connector into the roof and then having a nice 12 source available on the roof. But this is a van, not an aircraft.....

7. Tristan

Tristan Well-Known Member

I did the "drill hole+grommet+silicone" method for my solar thru the roof, but I'd want something a bit more elegant on a brand new rig. I love the idea of a box- I can promise you'll want to add something in the future.

8. CharlieY

CharlieY Well-Known Member

That roofrack and ladder are nice.

9. Tristan

Doing any solar? That rack would make it easy (attach panels to underside). I'd do at least 1 panel and a cheap controller just to keep main battery topped off during storage. Under $150 and no more worries about parasitic drains.

10. RRP

RRP Kinda Superbikey

Do you have a link or brand you could share on this set up? or possible vendor?

thanks
    M

11. Tristan

12. Tristan

13. baconologist

baconologist Well-Known Member

https://www.amazon.com/Ancor-765002...&sr=8-1-fkmr0&keywords=thru+deck+wire+fitting

14. GrayGhost

GrayGhost Well-Known Member

This is the pass through box that I used , held down with 3m VHB tape then sealed with Dicor ( 3M Sikaflex would work too) . https://www.google.com/aclk?sa=L&ai...hUKEwiVwPj7nO7VAhXLPiYKHVUCCGQQ9aACCDA&adurl=

My setup is a bit more than what you're planning but solar is modular which is great , easy to add more later. I have 3 Renogy 100 watt panels wired in series , then using a MPPT controller to charge my 255ah Lifeline 8D battery. You could easily start with one panel and the same controller , add more if needed. Solar is AMAZING because it's literally a set it and forget it item . Mine has been running my lights, fan , fridge , and charging all my devices for over a year now . No maintenance other than washing the panels every few months.

15. Monsterdood

Have you shared any pics of the rig here? Roof pics with those pass throughs?

I bought a 100watt Zamp solar setup that can expand to 3 panels and it has a pass through included. Haven't mounted that yet. Will fit it before I finalize the pass through plan.

16. GrayGhost

17. Monsterdood

Took an adventure trip to Black Hog Brewery in CT!

[​IMG]

Put a swivel in the passenger seat and a small removable table for times when the back dinette is in cargo or motorcycle mode.

[​IMG]

And a neighbor made me a custom galley cabinet for the Yeti. The walnut counter top was awesome with some beeswax and oil on top. In fact, he just made me a couple of table tops to replace the pine ones I was using and have in the pictures. He left room in the cabinet for a 50 liter Dometic 12v cooler as a future upgrade and a small bowl sink is in the way.

[​IMG]

Mounted the inverter/charger and solar control panel to the side of the cabinet.

[​IMG]

Making progress. Next up is a Pitbull trailer restraint so I can start hauling the bike in it.

L8RSK8R likes this.
  18. GrayGhost

You have progress about 50 times faster than my build, great job dude! Who's panel bed ? Overland/RB ?

Now that you have a solar setup, replace that Yeti with a Truckfridge.com ! No mo ice, ever.

19. Monsterdood

It's an RB Components panel bed with the extra long panels. It is nicely designed and fabricated and I think worth the premium. We're going to take a road trip to Alabama for Christmas so we're really working on items to support that sort of trip. Storage is high up on the list and my under sofa storage is filled up with leveling blocks, chocks, roll up table, camp chairs, door mosquito netting, insulated window covers. Looking at a storage panel over the front seats and 1 or 2 wall cabinets over the crew seat. Lot's to do, I have to get back to using it and not building it...

20. GrayGhost

I have a similar sofa and under mine is 50% storage ( boat style table and leg , water and power cords, shop vac, tools/ 50% electrical (8d agm battery , solar controller, inverter charger, battery shunt, fuse blocks) . These vans really are a rabbit hole , you fall down the "wouldn't it be cool if" path haha