1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Any immigration lawyers in the house?

Discussion in 'General' started by crashman, Nov 8, 2017.

1. TWF2

TWF2 2 heads are better than 1

If I am not mistaken if you cross borders within 6 months you don't need any paperwork.

2. We call it rink lacrosse.

3. dsapsis

dsapsis El Jefe de los Monos

Even when it is bad advice? :Poke:
    Is this your daughter that is studying astrophysics? I'm hard-pressed to see the lure there academically, but if its driven by place, totally understandable.

4. panthercity

panthercity Thread Killa

:clap::clap::beer::stupid:

jim weaver likes this.
  5. crashman

crashman Grumpy old man

:crackup:There is always a ton of bad advice mixed in with the good here...
    Yes, it is the one studying Astrophysics. I do not have any details yet. I guess it was something that the head of the Physics department told her about and she just said it was a really good program. I am waiting on details now.
    edit:
    OK, I just heard back from her. It is actually with the math department. These words mean nothing to me but you may know what they mean. Applied Dynamical Systems in the area of heteroclinic networks at the University of Auckland.

Last edited: Nov 8, 2017
  6. pickled egg

pickled egg There is no “try”

Isn't there a lawn crew you could ask? :Poke:

ToofPic likes this.
  7. crashman

crashman Grumpy old man

:crackup:

8. nigel smith

nigel smith Well-Known Member

There has to be a grumpy government employee that you can contact for an answer. I find that I get the best results from the bureaucracy if I make it obvious that only their superior intellect and vast knowledge can save me from my own stupidity.

9. nigel smith

nigel smith Well-Known Member

If all else fails, I'll put him in contact with my in-laws. It would be worth it just to hear a conversation in Spanglish and Great White Northese.

10. Phl218

Phl218 .

All I know is that immigration attorneys are swamped right now because of DJT making the messicanz nervous resulting in my green card stuff being pushed back on their desks since my company is not putting stacks of cash on the table.

Might affect your daughter too, if more paperwork is involved

11. crashman

crashman Grumpy old man

Ya, about that. I struggle when I try to pump up the ego of a slow moving government worker...
    Good luck with your Green Card stuff. It is a pain. Hopefully the delays are not too bad.

Phl218 likes this.
  12. CMRA 270

CMRA 270 Comes here for the latest CMRA gossip

Let me see what I can find out for you. My neighbor is an immigration lawyer...

13. crashman

crashman Grumpy old man

Thanks Allen.

CMRA 270 likes this.
  14. obakerone

obakerone Active Member

Ok from the previous posts your daughter is a Lawful Permanent Resident (LPR) or in layman's terms has a green card, and you are a Canadian Citizen. Do you mind if I ask how she got her LPR status? (thru work, marriage, etc.) This would be for future advice.

If your daughter is going to attend school outside the US then it is recommended that she obtain a Re-Entry Document or I-131 (https://www.uscis.gov/sites/default/files/USCIS/Resources/B5en.pdf). This is the simplest way to avoid all your hassles. Basically when you apply for this you are telling the US Citizenship and Immigration Service (USCIS) that you will be out of the US for an extended period of time but intend on returning to reside when completed.

Technically if a LPR is out of the US for 1 year then their LPR status is considered abandoned but Customs and Border Protection Officers (CBP) or 'immigration officers' consider an absence from the US of 6 months an abandonment of status. However, as long as your daughter has the ;););) "intent on returning to the US to reside" ;););) then her status is not in jeopardy. Sure your might have an overzealous officer who will say she is no longer entitled to it but if she refuses to abandon her card and surrender it to the officer then the officer will set her up for a 240 hearing where she will eventually be set up to go before an immigration judge (IJ) and plead her case. 99% of those cases never make it to the IJ because its a waste of their time so they'll just grant the reinstatement of the LPR status.

Hope this helps...I know it definitely just saved you about $2,000.

Phl218 likes this.
  15. Hey I was somewhat correct.

Phl218 likes this.
  16. R Acree

R Acree Banned

Why should we waste time providing you with an answer you cannot possibly comprehend? We do appreciate the grovelling though.

17. crashman

crashman Grumpy old man

Thanks man! Thats at least 4 sets of tires you saved me!
    Yes. Daughter is a Canadian citizen and has a Green Card through me (E36). She is an E30. I was moved to the US by my company and they did all of the legal stuff to get us our Permanent Resident status. And as of right now she has every intention of getting her citizenship and living in the US so we would not even be lying! The timing of this is unfortunate because she becomes eligible to apply for citizenship at the end of October, 2018 which will be a couple months after she would have to start the program.

18. obakerone

obakerone Active Member

Sweet. I’m actually in need of a new rear tire. Hahaha. If she is qualified for her USC status then I would definitely get the Re-entry document. Part of obtaining USC is the total time spent in the US and that will keep the time continuous as opposed to having 6 month breaks because of school.

You can complete everything yourself without the need of an immigration lawyer. They don’t get any privilege like quicker processing or guaranteed approval. All they do is ensure your documents are filled out completely. That’s the $2,000 I saved you. Hahaha.

crashman likes this.