1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Any immigration lawyers in the house?

Discussion in 'General' started by crashman, Nov 8, 2017.

1. crashman

crashman Grumpy old man

I just got a text from my oldest daughter. She was wondering what would happen with her Green Card if she went to grad school in another country. It looks like she would be OK as long as she came back at least once a year and maintained US bank account, drivers license and permanent residence but I was hoping I could get a professional opinion.

2. cortezmachine

cortezmachine Banned

Just by the title I could see this going south realllllllly quick. :D

3. I think that’s correct when going to school but also think there’s a process for that specific thing. For the money I wouldn’t take a chance a consult a lawyer as it’s rather “dynamic” right now. Sounds funny but what country is her citizenship And what country for school?

4. Mot Okstef

Mot Okstef Scrolling all day long on RRW.com

Why? He asked a legit question.

Anyone that takes it to The Dungeon level will get a nice little vacation. ;)

Sabre699 likes this.
  5. I can also check with our legal team at work, they should know. I can do that tomorrow.

panthercity likes this.
  6. Boman Forklift

Boman Forklift Well-Known Member

He mentioned before he is a Canuck.

7. crashman

crashman Grumpy old man

:crackup::crackup::crackup:Just imagine an old bald guy running away from the authorities shouting " la migra, la migra"...

badmoon692008, Fencer and CMRA 270 like this.
  8. Screw those tree huggers- oh wait. Canada makes it easier as it’s not a flagged country.

9. R Acree

R Acree Banned

I see what you did there.

panthercity likes this.
  10. crashman

crashman Grumpy old man

Canadian. Looking at New Zealand. It looks pretty straight forward as long as Immigration has no reason to believe you are abandoning your residence in the US but was hoping someone here had the dirt. Free lawyer advice is better than expensive lawyer advice.:D

I hope not. Even I can see this is a good opportunity to give me a ration of shit.:D

11. Ok I’ll check with our team. I think it’s called something silly like temporary abandonment or the like. I had to do something similar as I was going to be in Germany more than 90 days in a year when I had my green card.

panthercity likes this.
  12. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

Damn Hockey watching Labatts lovers coming in and stealing our world class edumacations and breathing up all our sweet with freedom air!

13. I play lacrosse, cut me some slack.

panthercity likes this.
  14. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

but probably box lacrosse. :D

15. gt#179

gt#179 Dirt Dork

if she can swing it, go. I spent a year there when I was in college at the University of Auckland (1989, I'm old). Amazing place if you enjoy any kind of outdoor activities. Hopefully I'm going to go back next year with the family for my 50th.

16. crashman

crashman Grumpy old man

:crackup:Ya. That little bitch stole some poor American kids 4.0 GPA. Deport all of those frostbacks!:D

Phl218 likes this.
  17. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

See! Those Maple syrup suckers coming in and stealing all our As leaving none for real 'mericans!

and shit. :D

18. HPPT

HPPT !!!

I was talking a couple of weeks ago to my cousin who moved from Chicago to London for a job a few years ago. There is some paperwork involved. Some kind of yearly filing, if I remember correctly.

19. crashman

crashman Grumpy old man

I saw something about that for work but it looked like school was different. Not sure how it would be classified though as it is grad school but it is a paid position.

20. R Acree

R Acree Banned

Youngster puhleeeze.

Sabre699, gt#179 and panthercity like this.