1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

any experience with a Macgregor 26M or 26X?

Discussion in 'General' started by Ontheedgeprsprt, Jul 26, 2009.

1. Ontheedgeprsprt

Ontheedgeprsprt Pumpkin riders

As title states, any thoughts or more importantly experience? There seems to be lots of controversy on these things, but they seem sort of practical and fun.

2. beechkingd

beechkingd Well-Known Member

I think they look great and seem like a great idea. I used to have an older M25 and it was well built and sailed ok. What's the controversy? I think a larger engine is just what a sailboat needs. The 9.9hp 4t that mine had, made getting out of the harbor a long, long ride.

3. Ontheedgeprsprt

Ontheedgeprsprt Pumpkin riders

I think it's similar to the "HD" image. It's not a "real" sailboat to alot of people who sit on their "real" sail boats at the marina on the weekends.

I've been reading mixed reviews about their stability and build quality, but no real adverse evidence. The overall concept seems pretty cool, and who doesn't like bigger motors???

4. beechkingd

beechkingd Well-Known Member

They've been out for quite a few years now so any short comings should be well known. I would love to have one if I lived close to better water. The claimed 26 knots under power would make it usable even if there was no wind. I didn't really like the idea of the swing keel that much on mine. I had mine in the Potomac and could never lock down the keel due to the shallow water.