1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Any Dodge Durango Owners?

Discussion in 'General' started by Burt Munro, Oct 21, 2002.

1. K51000

K51000 Well-Known Member

U joints.

I'm still driving my 2001 Dakota Quad Cab
    4.7L, 5 speed manual
    yadda, yadda
    252K miles! original motor, doesn't burn or leak oil.
    It does leak PS fluid, and the front ene bushings and ball joints are shot.
    Still drives well however!

ducnut likes this.
  2. Chango

Chango Something clever!

Only because of menopause.

pickled egg likes this.
  3. speedluvn

speedluvn Man card Issuer

Maybe you outta schedule a trip to Bangkok and meet a nice ladyboy? She won't menstruate either. :rolleyes: You two would be perfect for one another :beer:

It sounds like the grinding is coming from my right front axle area.

Its about 127,???

Would/could the above suspension parts cause a grinding sound when I step on the gas, such as when driving off from a light or from an intersection?

pickled egg likes this.
  4. speedluvn

Are you suggesting it could be the U Joints?

5. ducnut

ducnut Well-Known Member

“grinding” doesn’t really indicate the type, so it’s hard to determine the exact sound you’re hearing, without being there.

Going off “RF axle area”, I can’t help but think it’s a wheel bearing. My thinking is the bearing is being heavily loaded, upon acceleration, and causing the noise. When the axle shafts were out, your mechanic should’ve spun both hubs with one hand and had the other hand on the spindle to feel for any texture. If you change one side, change the other, as well.

It’s possible something is loose and being flexed or torqued, when you accelerate. The differential is mounted in rubber bushings. It’s possible it’s moving enough for an axle shaft or something to be contacting something else. The lower ball joints can be loose enough to allow something to make contact. I’m just not sure, as I don’t have intimate knowledge of these vehicles, as I’m not around them.

Is it an AWD vehicle? Your dash control should say “AWD” or “Auto” on it, if it is.

6. speedluvn

Yes. Its AWD.

7. ducnut

ducnut Well-Known Member

For sure, check the differential lube for shavings and check the wheel bearings. I’m leaning toward wheel bearing, at this point, though.

8. K51000

K51000 Well-Known Member

Yes

9. ducnut

ducnut Well-Known Member

It’s a leftside-drop transfer case, so the noise should be right under his feet, if it’s driveshaft related.

10. speedluvn

Duly noted!

ducnut likes this.
  11. pickled egg

pickled egg Tell me more

Find someone you trust.

Have them put the truck in gear, mash the brakes and hammer the gas. You have your fool head in the area you suspect the noise is coming from and see if you can recreate the experience without getting yourself killed. Watch to see what bits are moving around when the engine is taxed.

Repeat until the problem is found or you discover it only happens when the vehicle is in motion, which will lead more towards wheel bearings or suspension components allowing some contact.

And change your pad every 4 hours. :D

12. speedluvn

I was taking to someone and he was mentioning suspension components. The wheel bearings are something as well cause my vehicle sounds like shyt running down the road.

Oh and :beer:.

13. speedluvn

Mechanic has possibly determined the source of the noise. He said that there is a chain in the transfer case that is possibly wearing/slipping and Dodge is aware of the problem. A new transfer case is needed. You can't get the transfer case anywhere in the country. It seems that no one (including Jasper) is rebuilding this transfer case that is chain driven.

Can anyone confirm this info? 2011 Dodge Durago V6 AWD

14. ducnut

ducnut Well-Known Member

I’d pull the front driveshaft and drive it, to confirm that diagnosis. Also, there should be metal shavings in the gear oil inside the transfer case.

It'll be rebuildable by a competent mechanic. I’m not sure what model case it is, but, there should be parts available through driveline shops.

I use this place:
    http://www.acmedecatur.com/

15. Woofentino Pugr

Woofentino Pugr Well-Known Member

I'm leaning towards wheel bearing.

16. speedluvn

So if I try to push on the wheel and it gives, that’s an indication of bearing damage?

17. Woofentino Pugr

Woofentino Pugr Well-Known Member

Pretty much. My last bearing I replaced made grinding noises that you could barely hear while driving. Unfortunately it totally failed the day before I was gonna get it in the shop.

18. speedluvn

This noise is clearly heard when I accelerate hard.

19. pickled egg

pickled egg Tell me more

Aren’t you afraid you’ll spill your mocha latte?

20. speedluvn

I’m more of a caramel mocha type guy.

pickled egg likes this.