1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Any Brick Masons...

Discussion in 'General' started by Waterboy, Nov 11, 2014.

1. Waterboy

Waterboy Rain Man

Working on getting my front porch replaced and trying to get an idea of how much I should be paying...

7ft x 16ft 18 inches high with a concrete top to include demo of old porch...

I know it wont be the same everywhere, just trying to get an idea of cost. I have 1 estimate(shopping for more) and it seems high and the beeb delivers:beer:

2. eggfooyoung

eggfooyoung You no eat more!

No way this can be answered without a lot more details and/or a drawing.

3. Fencer

Fencer Well-Known Member

7 ft wide by 17 ft 6 high?= 16ft 18 inches

You will bleed rectum style. That is a lot of brick and foundation.

I replaced a wooden stair case, with basic red brick with ciderblock innards, mild foundation to pour. it was approx 5 ft 9 high, 5 ft wide, and roughly 8 long I forget how many stairs total.
    It looks good overall, but the mason did slopy finger joints and splattered the mortar on the brick. It cost me about $1600 with me doing the steel hand rails

Last edited: Nov 11, 2014
  4. rd400racer

rd400racer Well-Known Member

I'm thinking between 3 to 4 grand for demo and rebuild. If you have a 4" slab on top you're talking less than two yards of concrete. Personally I'd do away with the concrete block sides and have then form it up and pour concrete for the sides too.

5. Waterboy

Waterboy Rain Man

Ok, a little more info- brick porch 7ft wide, 16ft long, 18inches high with a concrete top, two steps to get onto the porch and it needs a new footer. Estimate includes demo of the porch it's replacing.

6. Banditracer

Banditracer Dogs - because people suck

I think he meant 7' x 16' x 18" H

7. eggfooyoung

eggfooyoung You no eat more!

So there's no roof, railings, etc.? Broom finish?

8. Fencer

Fencer Well-Known Member

How much is concrete a yard in your area? It is about $100 a yard here

I agree with RD, pour the walls, backfill with 10 inches of dirt (tamp it), then 4 inches of gravel, then top with a broomed concrete top. Staining or stamping will cost more.
    if you want to get fancy, you can line and stain the concrete so it looks like tile work.

9. Razr

Razr Well-Known Member

I'm gonna guess about 8-10k. Lots of variables…
    How deep is footer? 32" here
    Is there a roof to temporarily support?
    How much of the brick show on outside? 12-15"?
    How much of the concrete face shows? 5 1/2"

Just curious, why are you replacing? Cracked concrete, settling, heaving, how old?
    Sometimes when the top concrete deck is deteriorated or cracked, an easy fix is to cover it with thin brick pavers, as long as it's still pretty stable underneath. Got a pic?

10. Rob P

Rob P Well-Known Member

If all of the ladies
    Were bricks in a pile
    And I were the mason...

First thing that popped into my head when I read the thread title...