1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Any Air Force Docs/nurses here?

Discussion in 'General' started by Fencer, Apr 25, 2017.

1. Fencer

Fencer Well-Known Member

Given the nature of the Beeb, I thought I would toss this out.

My youngest is kicking butt in JROTC (Air Force) and is focussing on becoming a flight Doc/nurse as a career path.

Anyone with insight in the field to pass along?

2. HoyaXC07

HoyaXC07 Well-Known Member

Active duty Army but this should still apply. Enlist in the Air Force Reserve or national guard before starting college. This starts the pay clock and helps pay for school. I did the same in the Army and its literally worth tens of thousands a year now thanks to an extra five years of pay and no student loans.

Fencer likes this.
  3. Buddy of mine did exactly that. 12-14 years later he's doing pretty well for himself.

4. Resident Plarp

Resident Plarp drittsekkmanufacturing.com

As Hoya said, if kiddo is serious, get him enlisted as early as possible since your retirement benefits, among other things - are counted the instant he takes that oath to service.

As far as getting into the specific field applies, it helps to know a few people. And RTOC is an excellent way to get on the road he wants. Just be sure the recruiter is aware of his goals and go from there.

5. Wheel Bearing

Wheel Bearing Professional low sider

New retirement system goes into effect for every person enlisting after Jan 1 2018. They can get grandfathered in if they DEP before that. The "old" pension style retirement is going away.

6. HoyaXC07

HoyaXC07 Well-Known Member

I'm not sure if the air Force does it but the army has a program where you can enlist while still in highschool. If at all possible enlist no later than then end of this year to retain the old retirement.

7. L8 Braker

L8 Braker 'Murica

Regardless of the profession he picks, don't let him go in without an education. 'Cuz otherwise you go in as general infantry and get a toothbrush to scrub shitters. With even just a B.A. you go in as an officer and get an office with a view.

8. JBraun

JBraun Well-Known Member

One of my closest friends is a PJ, and as far as resources go, the Air Force is the place to be. I'm blown away by the equipment they're issued and the training they get. Some of it is almost comical.

9. ORIF

ORIF Well-Known Member

Granted, this was 25+ years ago, but I went through medical school on an Air Force Health Professions Scholarship.

I had gotten an acceptance into the what, at the time, was the most expensive med school in the country. The parents had 4 kids and no money, and I couldn't even conceive of borrowing +$200k at age 22, so I applied for the scholarship.

The Air Force paid for my tuition and books, which were also expensive, and gave me a small monthly allowance which I lived off of. ( One fork, one spoon, one bowl : ))

I was commissioned as a 2nd Lt during college graduation and did a six week stint each summer during medical school. One of those stints was the School of Aerospace Medicine course in San Antonio,which essentially an exposure to Flight Medicine in an effort to get more docs to consider it as a career. I loved it, as we learned about flight and space physiology, the stresses that the pilots face during training and flying.

The actual job of a flight surgeon, however, is much less exciting and few stay on in the field as a career. Essentially, you provide a primary care for the pilots to keep them in the air and flying. There can be accident investigation responsibilities at times as well. Back in the day, flight docs used to be able to fly more frequently with the pilots and I believe in Vietnam, one may have even been shot down while putting in some hours.

Now this may be different than what your son is thinking of.

There is also the job of being a flight doc or nurse on Life Flight programs. I did this for 2 years moonlighting during residency and it typically is much more exciting. The burnout rate is high, however. One can witness only so much tragedy before you have decided that you have seen enough.

After med school, the Air Force allowed me to do a civilian residency since there was a shortage in my field. Technically, I was in the Reserves from the end of college, through medical school and residency, accruing rank. Once finished with residency, they brought me into active duty to serve 4 years, one for each year of medical school. Since my training took so long, I was a Captain when I went into active duty, a Major after a year and would have been a Lt Col shortly had I decided to stay in. My Reserve time, 10 years, did not count in its entirety towards retirement with full benefits.

I really enjoyed my time in the Air Force and presently have a son who is a sophomore at the USAF Academy.

It's not a bad way to go.

SteveThompson likes this.
  10. Fencer

Fencer Well-Known Member

Just for the record....

SHE is kicking butt

:)

t11ravis and ORIF like this.
  11. Trunxgp1224

Trunxgp1224 Well-Known Member

Huh??

12. Wheel Bearing

How many years have you served again?

JBraun likes this.
  13. JBraun

JBraun Well-Known Member

Ahh yes. The old Air Force general infantry unit. Seen it a million times. Better than being one of them Marine soldiers...

Seriously, what are you talking about?

Wheel Bearing and SteveThompson like this.
  14. ORIF

ORIF Well-Known Member

Awesome ; )

15. L8 Braker

L8 Braker 'Murica

People with degrees go in as an officer. People without don't. Officers make more money and don't get as many horrible duties as a grunt.

IOW. Get an education and go in as an officer.

16. Wheel Bearing

You don't know what the fuck you are talking about. Shut the fuck up.

JBraun likes this.
  17. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Dude. Whatever it is you're on you might want to back off it a little....

18. Trunxgp1224

Trunxgp1224 Well-Known Member

Having been in the Marine Corps and done recruiting I'd sort of know what it entails. whatever it is you're talking about sounds like something out of a hollywood movie, I don't think grunt means what you think it means.

JBraun, Fencer and Wheel Bearing like this.
  19. t11ravis

t11ravis huge carbon footprint

Very cool.
    Your screen name has me guessing ortho?

20. speedkelly

speedkelly Well-Known Member

Fencer, best of luck. Great career choice. Hope she does well, I think the Air Force is a great fit for young women of today.

My son is just coming to the end of his 3rd year in JrRotc Air force too. It's been a lot of fun seeing your little loved one go off to school in Air force blues. Kind of weird at first? My father was Army, my wife's dad Air force. My son really enjoys ROTC, but is undecided if he wants full in? I secretly hope he chooses to join up. But me and the Mrs, are not pushing it. At the moment he is currently looking at colleges. Sure would help out if he chooses ROTC that scholarship would be real nice! (if he was to be accepted of course).

I really wish I had gone in now when I was a kid. I truly think it is something very special to serve.

Big thank you to all that are serving and have served. You have my respect.