1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Any actual Wrestlers here?

Discussion in 'The Dungeon' started by Robby-Bobby, Dec 21, 2018.

1. Robby-Bobby

Robby-Bobby Steeltoe’s Daddy

2. Photo

Photo Well-Known Member

Years ago back in the 70's there was a rule about hair length. Its been so long I cant remember the particulars.

3. R Acree

R Acree Banned

Don't remember the rules specifically, but when I was in HS (graduated in '74) you cut your hair during the season as a matter of self preservation. You were not supposed to grab someone's hair, but it happened and it hurt. IIRC, several of the guys only cut their hair during the season.

4. R Acree

R Acree Banned

Then again, back then, the rules were the rules. They didn't give a rat's a$$ about your feelz. If you didn't follow them you could find another activity.

sheepofblue and jrsamples like this.
  5. ryoung57

ryoung57 Off his meds

I can see the argument. It should come down to whether or not he ever made a white wrestler with long hair make the same decision.

This is something I have a little bit of an internal struggle with. On one hand, short hair and neat/tidy appearance are the standards for the business world, BUT, things like dreadlocks/braid/etc are black cultural standards. Is it right for the business world to align itself with predominately white appearance norms?

6. Robby-Bobby

Robby-Bobby Steeltoe’s Daddy

That’s kinda my point...

Just because other referees might Have let him get away with it, does that make current ref racist for following the rule ? If there is a rule...

Then does current ref allow a white player to have long hair?

7. R Acree

R Acree Banned

Meh...business is about business culture. Dreads have been around in many cultures, not just black.

8. jrsamples

jrsamples Banned

Nails, hair standards were good rules. Now it's waah! What a puss.

However it appears that the rules are selective these days....those guys are puss too for not being consistent.

Still the best competitive contest known to mankind, no matter how gov't schools try to mess it up.

9. R Acree

R Acree Banned

If he is not consistent in enforcement, he deserves to be called out and punished. If he is consistent, quit whining. The ref sounds like a douche regardless IMHO.

Robby-Bobby likes this.
  10. R Acree

R Acree Banned

I had forgotten about the hair and nails to be honest. Most of the guys were too busy spitting and trying to sweat off a few ounces to make weight to focus on hair or nails. In fact, shorter meant less weight.

11. jrsamples

jrsamples Banned

I remember when an ounce was a metric shit ton.

12. R Acree

R Acree Banned

...and the vinyl sweat suits.

Photo likes this.
  13. jrsamples

jrsamples Banned

I had team mates who wore them to class all day.

I've been helping a friend's kid. In his first year, he has been doing well, but he hasn't seen any real competition yet. He had one kid that literally tapped out in the second. I'd never seen that before and was shocked. Rue Vaughn would have probably either kicked me off the team or made my life a living hell.

I would like to start coaching the girls because they do not really get equivalent attention/instruction. I've found that, up to about 119 the girls can not only be equal, but have the potential to have an advantage. Back when I was in it, there were very few girls and if one of the boys was beaten, he had to quit school. That's some serious hazing. There are 300 or so girls now competing. I think that it would be a lot of fun to have a few LW girls dog the hell out of some boys and have a legit state title shot. It seems that the state carved out a state championship for the girls this year as a trial. I think I will go and check it out. But, we keep dumbing down these things, pretty soon each weight class will have 10 state champs. Everybody gets a trophy.

14. ryoung57

ryoung57 Off his meds

There's a girl in the teen BJJ class that's scheduled right before my classes. She is a badass. She whips up on the boys in the class on a regular basis.

15. Lawn Dart

Lawn Dart Difficult. With a big D.

In the 90s when I wrestled, we always kept our hair short, but they made special covered headgear for the people people that wanted it longer. The covered headgear was just like the regular, but had a mesh netting to keep people from grabbing it, which is the concern. You could straight up pull his hair out by the dreads, and there's nothing in the rules to prevent it.

Also, hair is added weight. I'm certain those dreads weighed a bit. Sucks for him, but he should know better if he's been wrestling a while.

16. Newsshooter

Newsshooter Well-Known Member

Lots of female wrestlers have long hair and wear covers. Ref's a dumbass and should be kicked out of any wrestling match in the future.

17. StaccatoFan

StaccatoFan My 13 year old is faster than your President

Maloney had no rule to base this. Just being an ignorant asshole. He shouldn’t be allowed to referee. He’s unable to be fair and impartial.

If there were a hygiene concern I would agree. But if I was a ref I would get at least one other ref to verify my decisions were valid.

Glad the kid won and made it unable to be disputed that he won.

18. galloway840

galloway840 Well-Known Member

Yeh, seems pretty lame to cut the kids hair like that. Better to just disqualify him and/or tell him, "go get a haircut to standard so you can compete" and then leave it up to him. The way it went down had to be humiliating, and further, f'd up his hair.

19. eggfooyoung

eggfooyoung You no eat more!

Rules is rules. Cut youR hair, or GTFO.

WHITE PAWR!

20. Steeltoe

Steeltoe What's my move?

Wrassling is gay.

Fonda Dix likes this.