1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Any .22 fans?

Discussion in 'General' started by Scotty87, Nov 17, 2011.

1. AndyR1

AndyR1 Well-Known Member

I prematurely fell in love with the AR style M&P 15-22. Then I went to the gun store and held it. I don't think I like the plastic feel to it with no weight (5lbs or so). I'll be buying a bolt action .22 instead.

2. Brad

Brad Swollen Member

I spent some time yesterday @ the in-laws shooting a couple of my .22's. I had a, bought on a whim, stock-with-a-scope 10/22. I shot about 100 rounds with it and was bored.....Then, I started shooting my late Uncle's 1940 510 Targetmaster and could have kept shooting all day! He bought that gun at Sears new in '40, as his first real gun, at about 12 years old. My Aunt gave it to me a few years ago after he passed away. That single shot, bolt action was so much more fun and relaxing!! Different strokes, I know.

3. TrackStar

TrackStar www.trackstar1.com

Some of us like to use our .22's as cheap and fun practice for our AR-15's. The CMMG .22 uppers are the same weight and feel as a standard AR upper and everything interchanges so the guns feel identical flipping back and forth between them. It's not just about the look, it's about keeping some commonality between your weapons. Being able to pick up any weapon you own and instinctivly knowing where everything is is a good thing.

4. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Some of us put a tactical stock on a 10/22 because it makes us giggle at how ridiculous it is :D

5. TrackStar

I'll post up ridiculous in a few minutes.

6. Captain Squid

Captain Squid Well-Known Member

You just did

:D

7. TrackStar

Nevermind, couldnt get ridiculous to bring his gun over to take a pic.

Heres my set up. Stag 5.56 with Trijicon ACOG MilSpec M4 optic. The other upper is a CMMG .22LR with the EoTech on it. The EoTech is a blast for rabbit hunting.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

8. sbhockey

sbhockey Orange shirt #157

Actually both my .22's are bolt action. Marlin model 81DL. 17 round tube fed bot action. Second is a Winchester model 67. Single shot bolt. The Winchester is kinda special to me as it's the gun my grandfather taught me to shoot with.

I really shouldn't have read this thread tonight. There's a gun show in town tomorrow and I'm getting the itch for something new plink with.

9. sbhockey

And came home with a couple mags for my Ruger P95, and picked up a Ruger LCP while I was there. Kinda been wanting one for a while now.

10. Captain Squid

Yo, scotty-2-hotty, hope all is going well with your 10/22 :D

I picked up another 10/22 last week, as the wife has laid claim to the first, and I really don't care for that marlin model 60 tht I have.

If you haven't scoped yours yet, swfa has a BSA sweet .22 3-9x40 on closeout, I just ordered one http://swfa.com/BSA-3-9x40-Sweet-22-Riflescope-P42505.aspx

not bad for $40

Also got an ArchAngel kit on the way for it, can't wait!!!!

11. TrackStar

Let me know how that archangel set up works. I did the tapco on the kids but looking at setting my wifes up with something different.

This is the kit I did on my sons. Did the tan color so it would look like the Enfield on Call of Duty.

[​IMG]

12. Captain Squid

Will do!

I actually held one with a Tapco kit for a few minutes before getting this one, was going to get the tapco one, but apparently it was sold 5 mins before I picked it up. Really nice stock. Never held an archangel one, but they seem to get good reviews, and I mainly went with it because I couldn't find a decent one piece base in stock, as the OEM ones are CRAP, and the archangel kit has a one piece rail on the top already.....

13. brex

brex Well-Known Member

I had an Archangel 556 kit on one of my 10-22 rifles. Had being the key word. It wasn't too horrible for a dress-up kit, but it had nothing in common with an AR, the weight and balance was all wrong. I just didn't like it in general.
    That said, it is all a personal preference thing. It worked exactly as advertised, gave the rifle a different look. But I didn't put that hideous muzzle part on it.

14. Captain Squid

Yeah I'm not doing it to get anything in common with my ar10, but get something with a pistol grip and a different feel to it, as the wife has a "stock" 10/22 I bought her.

I can't wait for the 10/22 comps to start :D

15. Scotty87

Scotty87 Lacks accountability

Yup! Should have a 'finished product' pic within the next couple weeks.

I went the the Archangel Target stock, a Tac Sol barrel, and a Mueller APV scope. The bolt is off getting a minor tune-up and a Volquartsen extractor, and the trigger group is at the smith's getting some love too.

Once those are back I'll put 'er all back together and snap a few picks. It should be really cool, IMO. I just wanna have it finished before it gets too freezin ass cold so I can shoot it a couple times before it's time to transition to indoor handgun stuff and more focus in the garage on the bikes.

Last edited: Jan 12, 2012
  16. Captain Squid

Most ranges will let you shoot a .22lr indoors you know :D

Glad it's going well!

17. gt#179

gt#179 Dirt Dork

BTW Ruger is coming out with a new 10/22 that's about $175 retail... just what you need this time of the year... :)

18. Scotty87

Scotty87 Lacks accountability

Yeah but the indoor range close to me is lit like a 1920's whorehouse and with a 4.5-14 scope it just sucks ass. It's primarily a bench gun anyway, don't plan on shooting it offhand too much untill I see if I enjoy small game hunting. Not sure I'm really the hunting type, so we'll see I guess.

For some unknown reason I ordered a Bersa .380 thunder in nickel from my FFL the other night, so that'll be a short-term winter toy. Price was too good to pass up.

19. Captain Squid

:crackup: I love it lmao

I have a S&W bodyguard .380, love it! Never held the Bersa, but heard good things

20. sbhockey

I've posted some of mine here before. Just picked these two diamonds in the ruff today. Buddy at work cleaned out his grandpa's basement a few weeks ago and found two old .22 bolt actions. When his wife found out he had them at home she flipped out and said get em out of the house. Offered him $50 total kinda joking and he said ok. Little cleaning and they should be good to go.

Top is a Wards Western field 36B, bottom is a JC Higgens 318
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]