1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Another Provisional Novice ???

Discussion in 'General' started by roy826ex, Feb 6, 2002.

1. roy826ex

roy826ex Been around here a while

If it is rainy on Sunday & I decide not to ride will I complete my 2nd weekend if I just race a Solo 20 on Saturday. The forecast for Sunday looks iffy right now. Saturdays weather looks okay. I don't feel I need to race if its a wet race. The only thing that may come out of that is me crashing. I am only running a select few races this year anyway so I see no need in even trying it. I had enough wet running this past weekend & I don't like it.

2. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Yes.

Actually I'll elaborate a bit - the reason for the wording is because if we said one race then riders would want to be full Novices after running two races in one day.

[This message has been edited by Mongo (edited 02-06-2002).]

3. JamesG

JamesG Architeuthis dux

But dont be a bi-atch. Stay on Sunday.

4. Eddie845

Eddie845 E-LO FRM THE BLOCK

I really hope it doesn't rain on Sunday. I'm planning on doing my first race. I have 0 experience in the rain. I got some rain tires though [​IMG].
    What do you guys wear in the rain over the leathers? Just a regular poncho?

5. GaTarheel

GaTarheel Well-Known Member

What classes will you new guys be running in?

I'll be wearing my green shirt in the 600 class. #1 priority (for me) = finish the weekend on two wheels and have fun!!!

6. RoadRacerX

RoadRacerX Jesus Freak

Amen, brother! Remember the immortal words of Ed Bargy....."Crashing sucks!" 'tis better to finish the race last than not finish the race at all. You're in this for the fun and thrill, and crashing is neither.

7. UGA Dawg

UGA Dawg Fertile Member

Don't be afraid of the rain but, don't ride your first race in the rain either.

I felt the same way though. Terrified. Once I got into it with some good rain tires, though, I actually liked it. Just don't do anything abrupt and be easy on the brakes. I know some guys who only lose a few seconds in lap times. Just gotta be smoother. Be prepared for the rear to slip and slide a little. Just keep it in check. You'll do fine. Ain't gonna rain though

8. Eddie845

Eddie845 E-LO FRM THE BLOCK

I'll be in the 600 also.

9. SV650Racer

SV650Racer Well-Known Member

I'm a Provisional Novice planning to make Talladega my first race.

Someone correct me if I have this wrong but I heard (somewhere) that street tires make pretty good rain tires to race on. Is this true?

bill

10. roy826ex

roy826ex Been around here a while

I'll be running the Superstock "C" 600cc class...you know the one with all the crashs [​IMG] Actually I'm really looking forward to it--no not the crashing part but the races. I did not get in enough seat time this past sunday due to the weather so I will be heading over to do the EBRS practice on friday, kinda sharping the knife so to speak [​IMG] My main goal is to finish upright so if that means finishing last then so be it. I'll live to do battle again on a more appropriate day. [​IMG]

11. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Better than race DOT's but not as good as full rains - I'd say as a PN go for it and take it easy.

12. PKS

PKS Happiness is belt fed!

[​IMG] Yeah, try and get through tech or past pit out wearing a poncho. [​IMG]

13. atspeed

atspeed Praying Member

thanks Pam [​IMG]

14. PKS

Hey, I remember seeing people take garbage bags and cut holes for the head and arms in them and try and go out. Scary stuff!

15. Joe

Joe Well-Known Member

Did anyone mention "NO PONCHOS", not anything that can flap around & come off. No, none, don't even consider it.

Thank You & enjoy rain racing,
    Joe

[This message has been edited by Joe (edited 02-07-2002).]

16. PKS

Hey, I mentioned it! I just wasn't real specific..... [​IMG]

17. gixer1100

gixer1100 CEREAL KILLER

i wish i was making my prov novice weekend this weekend, but my bike conspired against me, and it wants to wait till later. unless there is a miracle and the caliper i ordered comes in today (with some other parts) i will have to wait to meet all you other prov novices and old pros, later. good luck, wish i was there, kent.

18. RCjohn

RCjohn Killin machine.

I'm waiting for parts too but I will be at Tally helping Suff and Greg F. [​IMG]

19. Joe Morris

Joe Morris Off The Reservation

I rode my first race in the rain at Roebling [​IMG] I didn't know anything about rain tires or what to expect at Roebling in the rain [​IMG]. Ahhhh, ignorance is bliss! Good luck rookies.

20. mtk

mtk All-Pro Bike Crasher

I took race school in the rain. [​IMG]