1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Another Pit bull attack

Discussion in 'General' started by Fencer, Feb 6, 2016.

1. nigel smith

nigel smith Well-Known Member

The truth is, I have lost several friends to motorcycle racing. Not one of them was an innocent bystander. Your analogy is patently ridiculous.

2. Venom51

Venom51 John Deere Equipment Expert - Not really

So we should take care of the this pesky group called humans right? After all they kill people on a regular basis. Can we euthanize them and stop them from reproducing?

Ghost of Casby likes this.
  3. Pigman

Pigman Well-Known Member

Thats your issue..............you see cars kill people every day but you still own Two. Get it bud see what i did

Meet a few and see...you may just own one and may just save your life as Lots do and have done for many many years..

don't ever see a cocker spaniel waking up there pack members to get out of a burning house or look up Lilly the Hero Pitbull and let me know

4. nigel smith

nigel smith Well-Known Member

Is it your intent to posit that humans are equivalent to dogs?

5. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Raw numbers don't mean anything when a breed is popular with people who train them badly or train them for aggression. In the 80's it was dobies, at other times it's been shephards.

Issue is still humans in all cases.

Banditracer likes this.
  6. Pigman

Pigman Well-Known Member

Mine are and family.....

7. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Again, your numbers don't take into account everything. One of the most biting large breeds I know of with a usually off attitude is dalmations. But they had a movie so they're cool with everyone. Breed specific bans will do nothing but make another breed the bad guy for the next generation.

8. ryoung57

ryoung57 Off his meds

Nobody was a passenger on a bike? Nobody hurt on the street when a car pulled out in front of them?

In the end it's no more the dog's fault than it is the motorcycle's. Large dogs (of any breed) are physically capable of killing a child, and ANY dog can be pushed to do so. Dog's don't have the brain power to premeditate an attack or have a personal vendetta against anyone or anything. They just react to their surroundings. You wouldn't let a little kid play with a gun would you? Gun accidents kill innocent people but do you allow them in your rentals?

9. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Once here, St Bernard. As a kid I jumped onto his hurt paw trying to jump over him to get down the stairs one morning.

10. MELK-MAN

MELK-MAN The Dude abides...

some will never understand, or just can not face the truth.. are nearly all pit bull or similar dogs awesome? for sure! But when this breed decides "it's clobbrin time", that individual it set it's sights on is in for a horrific time.
    People with babies should seriously consider not owning such an animal until. I just talked with a lady the other day at our injector shop. Jim was working on her kawi 636. She's a 49 yr old grandmother. Sitting at home, baby on the couch daughter outside. The pit that for 5 years had been the model family pet, lunged at the baby. She threw her arm out and the dog latched on. It took the daughter hitting the dog with a plastic whiffle ball bat and 2 neighbors to get the dog off her. The grandmother has had 9 surgeries on her lower arm and elbow. But had she not reacted, the baby might be dead. Nobody knows why the dog did this, and they raised it from a pup, but it was put down. THis lady is clearly still traumatized after 5 years of this happening. She showed me her tattoo on her arm and started talking about the scars, otherwise i never would have even know this occurred..
    I have also heard of other breeds that as the dog got older, it's personality changed. My cousin on their farm had a large lab. Beautiful animal. But about age 8 or 9, for no apparent reason, turned very aggressive. Vet suspected a tumor on the brain.

I too won't have pits, large terriers, german shepherd, chow, etc. in my rentals. No way do i want to be complicit in a potential accident.

11. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

You think you'd be complicit in what a tenant does? I hope for your sake one never kills someone else. After all, more humans are killed by humans than by pit bulls.... If it happens with you you'll have to of course turn your self in being complicit in the crime and all. Prison would suck.

12. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

I sure as hell hope not, the dogs I know shouldn't be insulted like that.

Banditracer likes this.
  13. ryoung57

ryoung57 Off his meds

I get the rental thing - it's just numbers and apathy/CYA. There are PLENTY of potential renters that don't have large dogs so it's easy to just not allow them. It's also a monetary thing - large dogs make larger messes than small dogs, cats, or no pets at all, which ultimately means less expense/hassle for the landlord. What pisses me off is when a government bans a specific breed for no reason other an fear and misinformation.

14. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

That's the thing, was it really? Or was it based on their views of what a model pet is? I know a lot of people who think they're good pet owners when reality is the exact opposite. They don't work with the animals, they don't understand pack mentality, they ignore the dogs or worse - yet the humans think that's all okay and they're doing a great job as an owner. However the reality is they're effectively abusing the animal or at least just not training it properly in how to live in a pack with humans. All dogs can attack for a number of reasons but it's still the humans. Hell, attacking new pack members to show superiority is a normal dog behavior, it's up to the alpha to take care of that shit before the new pack member gets bit be it a new dog or a baby.

Banditracer likes this.
  15. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

I find it ridiculous no matter what the excuse they use is. Many other animals they don't ban will do more damage to the property than a large dog. Put that in the with other posts because Nigel had a family member hurt by one of these evil dogs and it's emotional BS pretending to be logical.

16. Venom51

Venom51 John Deere Equipment Expert - Not really

No...most of them don't rank high enough to be a dog.

Ghost of Casby and Banditracer like this.
  17. ryoung57

ryoung57 Off his meds

It is ridiculous from a down owner point-of-view but from a business standpoint it makes sense. It's also still the owner/landlord's house, so as long as he's not basing his decision on some sort of protected status (race, sex, etc) he's well within his rights to ban them if the market will bear it. When I was looking for a house in Nashville, lots were "no pet/no large dog", but it was rare for a house to sit un-rented for more than a few days. Go to a smaller town or one with a glut of rentals and there are a lot more pet-friendly options.

On the liability front, I'd be curious where that would fall depending the circumstances. Say a large dog got out of the fence and bit some kid. Would the landlord potentially be liable for not keeping the fence maintained well enough to keep the dog in?

18. deathwagon

deathwagon Well-Known Member

Here's another major contributing factor with the misinformation and incorrect statistics surrounding Pitties:

http://nationalcanineresearchcouncil.com/uploaded_files/tinymce/Pit Bull ID Poster.pdf

I think the above may have been posted before in a previous Pit Bull rant thread here. With the exception of pup #7, you can be sure that if one of those dogs bit someone, the cops and the media would report it as a Pit Bull attack.

19. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Agree it's their right to do so but the excuses are what is ridiculous. Liability? Ban all pets. The BS is in the whole pits and "aggressive" breeds. I'd put jack russells and chihuahuas into aggressive all day long.

Landlord could be liable in your example of the tenant had been complaining with proof of complaints about the problems. Then again the tenant let the dog out unsecured in an area they new wouldn't hold it (or else they wouldn't have complained) so back on their shoulders.

20. R Acree

R Acree Banned

I'm not gonna take sides in the argument, but from a property owner's perspective, it isn't always a specific animal or breed. If the lease says not large dogs, odds are it is a matter of perception for neighbors and other potential liability sources. Lawsuits don't have to be valid to be expensive to deal with.