1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Another New Guy Racer Question....

Discussion in 'Information For New Racers' started by tanks95, Jan 14, 2012.

1. tanks95

tanks95 Well-Known Member

Good evening gentlemen, my name is William and I want to get started racing. I have a liter bike (hold the criticism). I’ve been doing track days for a while, but I want to do more. I’ve done cornerspeed, which got me interested.

I guess I have the standard questions. How do I get started, do I just show up at a race and register? I will have to be a p-novice, so at a typical event would I just race once in a weekend? Would I need to bring anything more than for a normal track day? Small race team, me and my wife (crew chief).

Also, do i have to remove my headlights completely or can i do the tape thing? (that may be a stupid question)

Thanks for the help in advance

William
    “Professional Beginner”

Last edited: Jan 14, 2012
  2. kanatuna

kanatuna You can't polish a turd..

Welcome.

You'll need to safety wire a lot of things before you can hit the track. :)

CHAPTER EIGHT
    TECHNICAL INSPECTION
    GENERAL MACHINE REQUIREMENTS

Every racebike must be ready to race when it is brought to technical inspection.
    All machines participating in WERA events, or events hosted by WERA affiliates, must prominently display the WERA decal (meaning the entire 4” circle) on both sides of their machine. Points and awards may be withheld from any racer who fails to display the WERA decals.
    1. By participating in the event, the rider implies complete willingness to conform to WERA rules. Passing Technical Inspection does not give a racebike immunity from protest; if the Technical Inspector does not notice an illegal modification or a failure to conform to WERA requirements, the rider is still responsible for the racebike meeting WERA requirements; be it their own or borrowed. The Technical Inspector must inspect and pass every machine before it will be allowed on the track. The Technical Inspector will reject any racebike that does not meet WERA requirements. The Chief Technical Inspector may, at any time, re-inspect any racebike and revoke approval if the machine no longer meets WERA requirements. The Technical Inspector may at his discretion allow a “Temporary Fix” for a particular race weekend. Any rider who takes his or her racebike onto the racecourse when the racebike does not meet WERA requirements will be assessed a penalty for each infraction. The rider or his crew are required to point out any problems or potential problems with their racebike.
    A rider or his crew will be allowed to make a safety-related fix at an event in order to participate at that event, provided the fix is not an illegal performance modification (at the discretion of the Chief Technical Inspector for that event). The rider must provide the damaged or broken part(s) along with a written request to the Chief WERA Technical Inspector of the meet and receive approval for said fix. This allowance will be limited to that event only and the correct part(s) must be installed prior to the next event.
    2. All racebikes must meet WERA requirements. A racebike will not pass Technical Inspection and will not be marked with a Tech Sticker until the racebike is in complete compliance and the rider has completed and submitted his Contingency Tech Verification Form. If any of the items to be inspected are hidden from view by bodywork, those sections of bodywork must be removed prior to arrival at technical inspection.
    a) The following item must be safety wired, or secured in a manner approved by Tech:
    axles or axle nuts
    oil filler caps
    kickstarter retaining bolts
    axle caps and/or pinch bolts
    oil drain plug(s)
    removable exhaust baffles
    brake caliper bolts
    *oil gallery plugs
    radiator caps
    brake torque arms
    oil lines
    coolant drains
    speedo and tach cables
    spin on oil filters/filter bolts
    any pressure fed lubricant line
    *fork oil drain screws/bolts
    rear exhaust mount(s) (all)
    *brake pad retaining pins
    *may be secured by silicone glue or H/D weather-strip adhesive in lieu of wiring.
    a1)Substantial gauge “R” type spring clips may be used in certain applications but must be wired to the machine. Tab washers designed to accept safety wire may be used. Safety pin style clips may be used on most items but NOT on oil drains or oil filters.
    a2)A catch can shall be fitted where required or at the direction of a Technical Inspector.
    a3)Kawasakis wth a stock oil filter clamp must use an additional hose clamp.
    b) Fuel lines and any other fluid carrying lines must be clamped or secured by some other appropriate means.
    c) Water cooled engines may use plain water, or water with Redline (or similar product, call WERA for verification) cooling system rust and corrosion inhibitor at 0.5 ounces per quart of plain water concentration, Silkolene Pro CCA (Corrosion Control Additive) and Royal Purple Purple Ice are also allowed. Glycol based antifreezes are prohibited.

3. kanatuna

d.d) All pre 2001 Suzuki GSX-Rs must have engine case guards installed around the right and left sides of the engine, extending beyond the frame, and are subject to the WERA Technical Inspector’s approval. Case guards on the left side of 1995-97 Kawasaki ZX6R’s are suggested but not required. Yamaha FZR 400, FZR600 and YZF600 machines must have an engine case guard on the right side of the engine. Heavy-duty aluminum replacement covers may be used in lieu of case guards. Stock case covers with extra metal welded on to make them thicker may also be used. 06/07 Yamaha R6’s must used a tank guard of some sort on the sections that extend past the frame rail on either side.. The guard must be approved by tech.
    e) Only one engine at a time may be used.
    f) Only gasoline may be used as a racebike fuel. Nothing may be added to the gasoline except commercially available, approved octane boosters and lubricating oils. No oxygen or nitrogen bearing additives (i.e.: NOS) in any Superbike or Superstock based class.
    g) All racebikes must have an operating and marked engine kill switch on the handlebars. Dead man tethers are allowed and are suggested.
    h) All racebikes must have a self-closing throttle and operating front and rear brakes.
    i) Kick-start levers are allowed to remain on the machine however they must be secure to keep them from swinging out.
    j) Glass and plastic lenses must be taped. Clear tape may not be used.
    k) Side and center stands must be removed.
    l) A steering damper is MANDATORY on all machines and must be mounted in a safe and workmanlike manner. The damper must not overly limit the amount of stock lock-to-lock handlebar travel.
    m) The license plate and bracket(s) must be removed.
    n) Items are deemed safe only if secured in a visible, approved manner. Aircraft nuts, locknuts, Locktite or similar compound is not acceptable.
    o) The seat or fender must extend toward the rear, past a line drawn vertically through the rear axle.
    p) The rider, in position, must be fully visible from the side and top. Transparent material may not be used to circumvent this rule. No streamlining may be attached to the rider or helmet.
    q) The machine must be clean.
    r) Tires must be in good condition as determined by the technical Inspector. In Superstock Classes DOT Tires with an S or higher speed rating must be used. Tires must be of the original tread pattern and may not be altered or grooved. No off road knobby tires may be used in any class. No recapped or retreaded tires may be used in any class unless they have been manufactured by a D.O.T. approved facility in compliance with CFR 571 and are tested using Laser Shearography during the manufacturing process. Glued, pre-cured retreads are not allowed.
    s) Tire valve caps must be used and should be metal or hard plastic.
    t) If speedometer and tach cables are installed, they must be safety wired.
    u) Sidecovers that “snap-on” must be removed, wired, taped or bolted in place.
    v) All race machines must use muffling devices that limit the sound to 105dBA. The noise level will be measured while the machine is on the track during practice sessions and racing events. A static test may be used off track to measure the noise level by holding the dB meter at 48 inches and at a 45 degree angle from the exhaust opening(s). The engine will be steady at 1/2 of redline during this test. If a machine measures over the limit with either test it will not be allowed to participate in any further events during the weekend until it has been brought under compliance. Riders may also be fined or otherwise penalized for non compliance. Certain race tracks may require lower limits and at these tracks those sound limits will be enforced and noted on race entry information.
    w) Glass headlight covers must be removed. Plastic may be taped over or removed.
    x) Clutch and Brake levers must have at least a 1/2” ball on the end.
    y) Handlebar ends must have either: (1) end-plugs; (2) be solid; or (3) stock bar-ends must be retained. Handlebar ends may not be hollow or ground to a sharp edge.
    z)All machines are required to have a lower fairing capable of holding 5 quarts of liquid. Machines not equipped with a lower fairing from the manufacturer may have a custom piece fitted. Any machine which has a newer or OEM “race” model may use the newer models fairing to comply with this rule (i.e. the TL1000S may use the lowers from a TL1000R). All lowers must be OEM spec with any necessary holes filled in. Lowers must be attached in a manner approved by tech.
    aa) All machines must have a sticker placed on the triple clamp or gas tank reading “GP” or “STD” depending on the shift pattern used by your machine. These stickers will be available at tech.
    bb) Brake pad retaining pins must be secured in a visible manner such as an R Clip or safety wire, silicone is acceptable but not preferred.
    3. All riders/teams must use an AMB Tran-X 260 transponder for scoring purposes in all series. The transponder must be mounted vertically on the left front fork leg in a manner so that the numbers are readable. Do not mount the transponder horizontally in the front fairing - the signal strength drops to an unacceptable level and you may not be scored every lap. Any laps missed due to an improperly mounted transponder will NOT be reinstated. It is the riders responsibility to make sure their transponder is on the bike and functioning properly during qualifying and racing. If a transponder is verified to be mounted and is not functioning during a race the rider will be allowed to choose between a disqualification or a $50 fine. If the transponder is not on the machine or the rider cannot prove a verified working transponder was on the machine the choice is a $100 fine or disqualification. WERA will have the scoring system running during practice and will print lap times to allow riders to verify their transponder is working. WERA will have transponders for sale as well as for rent. Rental fees will be $60 for the event, any transponder not returned to WERA at the event will result in a $100 fine. Any transponder not returned to the WERA office within one week after the event and lost transponders will result in the rider/team being charged the going rate for a new transponder. This charge will not be refunded. Rider may turn in their rental receipts (copies of the entry form) at any time to receive 50% of their total rental fees off of the price of a new transponder. If a rider has 10 rental receipts they will get a transponder at no charge. Receipts are not transferable and can only be used towards the purchase of a riders first transponder. Transponders cannot be used by more than one rider per any given weekend.

There ya go. lol Your best bet is to try and hook up with a racer near you who is willing to help ya get set up. If you were near Cincinnati I would be able to help out. Good luck man! :beer:

4. tanks95

Good stuff, i had chapter eight printed out in the garage, ready for a safety wire party. BUT i did not see the tape the lens portion. So, thanks!

5. Shenanigans

Shenanigans in Mr.Rogers neighborhood

Where you from in NC? im near Charlotte and would be glad to help out where i can.

6. tanks95

in fayetteville, im about 4 doors down from a guy who races. I just need to make the link up.

7. Shenanigans

you near that dude regular guy?

8. TGRIFF

TGRIFF Active Member

I'm a new racer from Fayetteville as well. I'm deployed now but we'll have to link up, help each other with bike prep and maybe transit together.

9. DARK STAR KAOS

DARK STAR KAOS Life before riding

10. tanks95

Yup, just got back myself

11. Shenanigans

Welcome home and thank alk 3 of y'all for serving.

12. regularguy

regularguy Always Krispy

All you dudes from Fayetteville that are just getting started, there are several of us that race and are willing to help you out. Myself, mbmotorsports, onepusher (banned haha) and others. PM me and I can give you a hand and get you going in the right direction. Roebling in March is going to be our first race of the year. The first weekend can be a bit overwelming but we can give you a hand.

13. TGRIFF

TGRIFF Active Member

Sounds good. I will definitely be contacting you.

14. kanatuna

And thats WERA....

15. Shenanigans

New guys stay away from mbmotorsports unless you have a 3ft or larger screwdriver. LOL