1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Another cycling thread - commuting

Discussion in 'General' started by styles, Jun 25, 2012.

1. styles

styles The untrained eye

I have a 2011 Trek 1.1...bought some front and rear lights over the weekend and started cycling to work today. Wondering what kind of tips you guys might have for commuting.

So far I've decided to start leaving my dress shoes/belts here at work so I don't have to haul them back and forth. We have showers here so I'll be leaving my shampoo, soap, etc. here too. Have bike shorts (ass still hurts), ordered some clipless pedals and shoes that will hopefully come in before the end of the week. I was thinking on the ride in how nice it would be to have some kind of mirror to be able to see behind me. What else, what else...

2. Joe Morris

Joe Morris Off The Reservation

If you lived anywhere else I'd suggest fenders for rainy days. :crackup:

3. GixxerBlade

GixxerBlade Oh geez

What a great way to get in shape! How far from work are you? I've thought about running to work before but so far haven't done it.

4. SnacktimeKC

SnacktimeKC Well-Known Member

You probably already have this but extra tubes, a lot quicker than patching. Welcome to the Tour de F#*k You.

5. V5 Racer

V5 Racer Yo!

It ain't just bicycles, I was behind someone this AM in a BMW X3 that was driving ~25 mph. There was a line of furious people behind that person, no doubt. They gave me a dirty look when I finally got around them, I figured their bicycle was broken and they missed all the attention. :D

6. styles

styles The untrained eye

It's about 13 miles each way. I'm a runner myself but recovering from aggravating an old injury. Have to limit the amount of impact my ankle takes so now I'm surfing more and picked up cycling.

I'm actually not carrying spare tubes, just patches. Spare tubes make sense now that I think about it though! Adding that to my pack...

7. Joe Morris

Joe Morris Off The Reservation

If you find you're going through the tubes/patches pretty fast then I'd suggest some tire liners like Slim or Mr Tuffy. They add a little weight but it's good insurance when it maybe dark enough to allow you to ride over surprises.

8. Greg S

Greg S Well-Known Member

Stuff to throw at asshole drivers really saves knuckles.

Last edited: Jun 25, 2012
  9. auminer

auminer Renaissance Redneck

My way........... stay the f@#k out of it.

:D

10. styles

styles The untrained eye

Second day of commuting (skipped Tuesday to let my ass recover). I love this sh*t! Hoping to get my time down to 45 minutes...only 15 minutes longer than driving. Right now I'm getting passed by everyone and their mothers.

11. GixxerBlade

GixxerBlade Oh geez

Any close calls?

12. V5 Racer

V5 Racer Yo!

Seriously? Some guy (in a car) around here blocked someone from passing on the right heading to a stop sign the other day, 3 guys got out of the blocked car and beat the living shit out of the dude. You are gonna throw rocks at people from a bicycle seat?

13. RM Racing

RM Racing Tool user

Where? WTF?

14. wrparrish

wrparrish Well-Known Member

:rock:

15. styles

styles The untrained eye

None so far! I'm on the road by 530AM so thankfully traffic is super light, especially on the side roads I take. The 330PM commute back is fairly light as well.

16. G Dawg

G Dawg Broken Member

In my humble opinion since I repair upwards of 10 flats a day, Slime tubes are total shit. I've had them come in with holes just larger than a pin, and would not
    hold air for long.
    I've sold hundreds of Kenda Thorn Proof tubes, and maybe have had 5 come back.
    I suggest you pick up a Topeak large aero wedge seat bag.
    You can get your cell phone,spare standard tube,CO2 inflator, and tire irons
    with no problem in it.

17. bEeR

bEeR Hookers & Blow

I've got a rear rack on my single speed commuter so that I can strap my lunch box onto it. I was only commuting 4 miles at the time.

I'm commuting 55 miles each way now, so needless to say the single speed doesn't get ridden a lot anymore.

18. SnacktimeKC

I've got a Pake' that is pretty much my work truck. I ride about 20 miles a day in an urban environment. Right not I run either a hybrid or cross tire but I'm considering going to a road tire. My question is, are the hybrid tires less likely to get flats? -Snack

19. SnacktimeKC

Just the opposite happened around here the other day. Guy got out of his car and knocked the bicyclist to the ground, his 6 hipster friends that were a fair bit behind him phucked up him and his car pretty good. Either way a bicyclist or car cutting you off is no reason to get violent. -Snack

20. G Dawg

G Dawg Broken Member

No, as Morris said, you can go with tire liners/with the thorn proof tubes, it will be pretty much bullet proof, unless you run over something major.
    Other option is to get a flat resistant tire.