1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

.. and the law lost

Discussion in 'The Dungeon' started by trashman_nate, Jun 8, 2010.

1. Another money making scam thwarted by education. I recently received a ticket while driving my company vehicle. Right turn through a cross walk while a guard was there and no insurance paperwork. 1081$

I did turn right but, the kids had already crossed and the guard never made it into the street (a car blocked her on the other side). I was the second car to turn right.

I didn't have my paperwork for my insurance. The cop told me he was sure I had insurance b/c I was in a company vehicle and it was brand new. He told me he wanted to write the ticket anyways.

Either way, I fought using the Trial by Written Declaration and got a verdict of NOT GUILTY.

I expected this lazy ass cop to not do his job but, he might have. Normally when the cop doesn't respond you get a "dismissed" and receive your "bail" back. I got "NOT GUILTY" this time.

I still assume that the cop didn't respond. Mainly b/c this place is ruthless with tickets. Last year a friend and I were motorcycle riding on the freeway and were pulled over for speeding. The cop didn't have a radar he said he "saw" us speeding. I fought via a TWD, got it dismissed and got all my money back. My friend postponed, and went to trial. The cop wasn't there and instead of it getting dismissed the Judge told him that he was going to reschedule for a time the cop could be there. WOW. I've never heard of that before. Welcome to the state of "we need your money"

2. Hammer 4

Hammer 4 Can't Touch This

bet if your buddy didn't show up they wouldn't set a new date..he woulda had a warrant for his arrest issued...:rolleyes:

3. teamneon

teamneon Well-Known Member

i was leading a group of 15 bikes thru some federal property and a cop "rear radar" clocked "us" and gave the first 5 bikes a ticket for 22 over. (the rest of the pack was spaced enough to turn around). Long story short we fought it and it was postponed 2 times to wait for the cop. Finally he showed up and tried to tell the judge his radar clocked the first and also the fastest bike and averaged them! The judge didnt go for it and we got off.

4. Yeah. it's the lamest thing I heard of. The cop didn't even bother to respond to that bullshit speeding ticket. He was going the opposite direction (with a median) and claimed he "saw us speeding" He told us he has a certification to approximate speeds and write tickets based on that. lame.

There are two major issues I have in all this.

1) How can a cop write the ticket then not show up to court. It's not part of his job to follow through ? I think that TWD and court appearances should be a MUST in their duties. No extra pay just part of their job.

If I only did 1/2 my job I would be fired.

2) If a cop writes you a ticket and you go to court and prove your innocence then the cop is WRONG. He made a mistake. How many mistakes are they allowed to make ? I get very few mistakes in my job and all I do is make people fatter by giving them tv.

I think a cop should be fired after he writes 3 tickets in which people can prove their innocence. My time is worth much more than a cops repeated mistakes.

I've seen cops FURIOUS when their tv system doesn't work and they always want a credit on their bill when it didn't work for a couple days. Seems reasonable. If I go to court and I wasn't guilty then the cop pays for the time I had to take off to go to court.

5. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

Nate cut back on the crack, the cops might sense it on you next time you get pulled over.

6. This cop is a fat douche. You can see his roll come out from under his vest. I like to routinely give him the :down:

He just nods, now.

Dear Dave,

There is a reason people are addicted to crack. It's worth it. :rock:

7. RCjohn

RCjohn Killin machine.

In the state of TN the cop doesn't show up for the initial court date. You show up and enter your plea and if it's "not guilty" then they set a date for the trial and the cop shows up. I hear the State Troopers commonly don't show but I've never taken it that far. They usually cut you some sort of slack on the initial date as long as your aren't a habitual shitbag.

8. Hammer 4

Hammer 4 Can't Touch This

It use to be, that if you plead not guilty, and the cop didn't show up, it was case dismissed..Then again, I haven't had a ticket in a long time..:D

9. tony 340

tony 340 Well-Known Member

Damn.

Please tell me that was a typo.

10. 45° Please

45° Please Large Member

Don't know about Cal, but n. FL cops be chillin.

I mean, you gotta earn a ticket here. Ask me how
    I know from 12 years ago. :D

11. Shenanigans

Shenanigans in Mr.Rogers neighborhood

Nate, Did Shirley teach you the secrets of Ray "Johnnie Cochran" Hymer? LOL

12. teamneon

teamneon Well-Known Member

except in panama during spring break...$1000 fine for a front wheel off the ground lol

13. Sacko DougK

Sacko DougK Well-Known Member

How big was the girl on the back?? :D

14. Unfortunately, no. 1081$

281$ for the crossing guard bit & 800$ for the No proof of insurance.

Playing the "proof of insurance" game was a mess.

My company vehicle insurance (fleet type) card doesn't have my name.
    - Court wouldn't take it as proof.

My Motorcycle insurance:

My 4 paid off cars with full coverage insurance:

They wanted me to have "non-owners insurance" or some bullshit like that. Nightmare. Note to self. Always make sure you have the fleet card on hand. For some reason the cops will take it on scene but the court system wont. Welcome to Moneyfornia.

Shenanigans:

No PM from shirley yet. I think I have a lesson for her. ...For the sake of "Taking one for the board" .. of course.

15. tony 340

tony 340 Well-Known Member

Damn. Glad to see you made it through.

Law enforcement is about the most profitable business left in the country these days.

Aside from the Defense industry, but that's a whole nother 100 page thread.

16. Shenanigans

Shenanigans in Mr.Rogers neighborhood

Good luck with Shirley, bro!

17. hrc_nick_11

hrc_nick_11 Well-Known Member

I had a cop try to give me a ticket for not signing the back of then registration paper that comes with the date tags for my company van. The signature line said owners signature. I told him I don't own the van I'm not signing it. Then showed him one for my motorcycle that I do own that is signed.

He told me I can't drive on public streets with out it being signed. I steped out of the van and started walking to the nearby car rental palce and he told me to get back in the van and get moving. If he would have towed it my company would have payed for the rental car so I really did not care what he did. Plus with out the tools in the van I would have gotten a few paid days off.

Some times its just easier to completely agree with them and walk away. I think they hate waiting for tow trucks.

18. hrc_nick_11

hrc_nick_11 Well-Known Member

On the insurance thing, I find it funny that you can still get a ticket for some thing they call and look up anyway.

Here the fine is $800 for not showing insurance paper, if you have a small child not in a car seat that fine is $400. If you later show the proof of insurance they will reduce the fine to $250.

19. gixxerreese

gixxerreese Well-Known Member

In AZ it's $800 for no insurance and your car gets towed to a yard in Tucson it's Gary's Towing. Then you have to pay tow fees. If you don't have money for the towing fees which will be pretty pricey no matter where your car gets picked because their yard is pretty much out of town. Then if you dont have towing fees the day it gets towed then you are charged by everyday it sits in their yard.

20. NuVanTrin

NuVanTrin Active Member

you were in fact speeding, weren't you?