1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Amazon Alexa owners...you gotta try this!

Discussion in 'General' started by StaccatoFan, Nov 17, 2018.

1. rd49

rd49 Well-Known Member

Yes

2. Resident Plarp

Resident Plarp drittsekkmanufacturing.com

Some dude converted his Alexa into a talking fish on the wall. You can find that video elsewhere.

3. auminer

auminer Renaissance Redneck

Don't worry, those bigass TVs listen too you, too.

Phl218 likes this.
  4. R1Racer99

R1Racer99 Well-Known Member

My girlfriend bought me one of those last year as a gift. I tried to be nice and appreciative but apparently I was enough of a dick that she took it back without me knowing. I don't want anything listening to everything I say and storing it or using it later. Also, it serves no purpose for me. I've had an iPhone for years and I don't think I've used Siri once, I don't need that shit.

CRA_Fizzer likes this.
  5. Raceless man

Raceless man Well-Known Member

We have 2 actually..it's fun. We ask it questions, weather updates, radio stations, tell her to play any song you think of (Amazon music), order stuff from Amazon , it's an entertaining device. It has as much surveillance power as your phone, computer, fitbit, router whatever.
    I don't really concern myself with the potential for the surveilling part. Your tracked ..know it.

BigBird likes this.
  6. Timothy Landon

Timothy Landon Well-Known Member

"I don't really concern myself with the potential for the surveilling part. Your tracked ..know it". Just how your Government wants you to think. It's really amazing what the Government gets away with these days. Thing is the majority of the sheeple don't care. Some of the things I've researched lately are disturbing. The Federal Reserve Bank. Income Taxes. The IRS. Homeland Security, etc. Thomas Jefferson said, "A wise and frugal government...shall restrain men from injuring one another, shall leave them otherwise free to regulate their own pursuits of industry and improvement, and shall not take from the mouth of labor the bread it has earned. This is the sum of good government."

BigBird likes this.
  7. Bugslayer

Bugslayer Well-Known Member

So you got rid of the girlfriend too, I take it?

8. Scotty87

Scotty87 Lacks accountability

How the fuck did I end up in the dungeon? :confused:

Weird.

I'm with Stupid and cha0s#242 like this.
  9. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Was wondering that myself. Not sure why people insist on going full stupid in a threat about something amusing...

10. fastfreddie

fastfreddie Midnight Oil Garage

Just a guess...
    It's to focus spamming efforts relative to key words picked up in your normal conversation. Same way the internet uses "cookies".

Gorilla George likes this.
  11. For serious?

I know mine has voice activated searching where it can find TV shows or movies, or change channels and stuff. But I have to push a button to activate it.

Does it all time listen, even when I ain’t pushed the button?

12. Funkm05

Funkm05 Dork

Very likely. Even if it “doesn’t” doesn’t mean is “can’t”. ;)

Gorilla George likes this.
  13. Robin172

Robin172 Well-Known Member

Only on odd numbered days.

Gorilla George and fastfreddie like this.
  14. Venom51

Venom51 John Deere Equipment Expert - Not really

[Alexa] Hey Bob we noticed it is about the time in the day that you take your morning shit. We also noticed you haven't bought toilet paper from Amazon. We have some really good deals on ass wipe this week. Would you like us to place an order for you for our premium brand, double layer, quilted rose scented ass wipe?[/Alexa]

Bob : No.

[Alexa] I'm sorry did you say "sure". Great we will get that right out to you and bill your preferred credit card.[/Alexa]

Bob : I said no...

[Alexa]Sorry Bob..too late. We have already siphoned the money out of your account. You can call and wait on hold for 3 days waiting to talk to some individual in India that you won't be able to understand or you can just accept that we have fucked you and move on.[/Alexa]

rd49 likes this.
  15. TXFZ1

TXFZ1 Well-Known Member

[Jeff Bezos] Hey Alexa, what’s new with Whole Foods?

[Alexa] Buying Whole Foods.

BigBird likes this.
  16. BigBird

BigBird blah

it really does become handy in the morning when trying to shovel the kids out to school in the morning.
    -What's the Weather?
    -What time is it?
    -Set an alarm

Really handy in the kitchen
    -You can set multiple timers each with their own name (Alexa set pasta timer for 7 minutes, Alexa set chicken timer for 10 minutes, etc.)
    -Nice to just say add eggs to the list, and then have it show up on my phone for the grocery list (well when she understands what you're sayinng). Recently, it's even better because she asks now anything else to add, this way you can spout out multiple things
    -Play any music/playlist from my paid Spotify account, or play free Pandora, and Amazon Music

-Currently painting the basement, so I just say next song if I don't like the song, and just continue painting the room without touching anything with paint hands

But my biggest uses are the timer(s) and music, and sports scores/schedules and math. And, I don't have to continuously be on my phone or computer, etc.

17. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

I may have to actually plug mine in for the timers for turkey day.

BigBird likes this.
  18. Rebel635

Rebel635 Well-Known Member

I’d be down if it wasn’t connected to the net.....and I had additional bandwidth to spare.