1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

AMA Test NJMP 7/22/2009

Discussion in 'General' started by Knarf Legna, Jul 22, 2009.

1. Zakath

Zakath Well-Known Member

He heard it from friends at a trackday. :rolleyes:

2. ScottyRock155

ScottyRock155 A T-Rex going RAWR!

Yea, Mladin is only slightly faster than an intermediate trackday rider. :up:

3. bel-biv

bel-biv Well-Known Member

BOMBSHELL!!

Mat Mladin 10 - 15 mph faster than the average Intermediate track day rider.
    Other professional riders between 8 - 12 mph faster and AMA Pro back-markers 2 - 5 mph faster than said Intermediate level hobbyist.
    Fast Advanced level track day participants line up for AMA Pro licenses.
    Success of AMA/DMG hereby assured with impending influx of new and wicked-fast riders.

4. DrA5

DrA5 The OTHER Great Dane

5. Suburbanrancher

Suburbanrancher Chillzilla

Just as I suspected all along. CGI and camera tricks - that's why they look so fast.

6. bel-biv

bel-biv Well-Known Member

fwiw, I agree that the photos do not accurately portray the amount of run-off in several areas of the track. If for no other reason than telephoto lenses compress images and make it difficult to judge the relationship between objects.

But I think it safe to say that the majority of Expert club racers are at least 10 - 15 mph faster mid-corner than an Intermediate track day rider.
    It is also safe to say that the majority of Expert club racers would struggle just to qualify for an AMA Pro race.
    Those guys are stupic fast.

7. ckruzel

ckruzel Graphicologist Xtremeist

Q7 Is ok, its no A5 though

8. DrA5

The A5 is one of the most beautiful things to grace the roads. :up:

I keep telling my wife it looks $20,000 more than it actually is.

9. drew231506

drew231506 Zero sponsors

"...that unless all the riders and teams say that something's not right and decide that they need to do something about it, then nothing's going to happen, so not much point talking about it. " Mladin

Yep not much point in talking about it. I learned that lesson suggesting that Summit Point could use some safety improvements. Until we as a community take a stand for better safety measures...there won't be any.

I'm working on putting something together for Summit...we'll see.

10. LWGP

LWGP Well-Known Member

I'll admit I pulled those numbers out of my ass. What's the basis for your (implied) statement that the differential is bigger? And remember, we are talking mid-corner speeds. What is the actual differential in mid corner speeds between a club racer and mat mladin? Show your work.

Or are you just as full of crap as I am?

11. Knarf Legna

Knarf Legna I am not Gary Hoover

You know, if riders were actually serious to the point of getting off their collective asses and doing something it wouldn't have taken John Ulrich to organize the Action Fund. Don't take me wrong, I'm not unsympathetic, but I don't think just whining all the time about things and not taking the initiative to make things better is productive. It's possible to change things and make them better, JU proved that to everyone.

12. divein6

divein6 Well-Known Member

If they are Nesba riders they are very fast :)

13. DrA5

I resemble that remark!

14. JBall

JBall REALLY senior member

There was a comparison article done a few years ago in the AMA magazine a few years ago which compared a magazine staffer to Duhamel. They looked at lap times, some split times, and radar readings at different places on the track (which was Mid-Ohio). The comparison showed that in the slower parts the speeds were a few MPH different, and in the faster places the differences were much larger. Basic conclusion: fast guys are fast in the fast stuff. I think there were some areas there was a 30 mph difference. I think one example was turn 13, not sure of the number, but its the fast right hander before the left into the carousel.

15. KILLA1

KILLA1 Orange Suzuki = MY HERO

ME TO

16. antirich

antirich Well-Known Member

I gotta disagree. I've done about 20+ track days at NJMP since it opened, and despite the initial warnings, the track 'officials' don't do much at all in terms of rule enforcement. Yea, they have a bunch of rules on the books, but I've seen all sorts of crap from knee down turns in the paddock, to open pipe bikes, to helmetless kids racing ATVs. Guys have blasted pass officials at 50+mph and no one says a thing. The most I've seen is that they'll tell the group organizer to keep spectators off the bridges. I would say the folks at Mid-Ohio are much stricter.

The only time I've heard of the police shutting something down was from a major chopper-ride crash with one of the track day groups (NY Sportbike Club or TPM?). To my understanding it was due to some serious F'n around on the track, or maybe it was that guy who almost lost an arm in the armco. Someone feel free to post the details, all I know is rumors.

In the last two years, I've only seen two police cars in the paddock, one state and one local. All they did was cruse around and left. I'm sure they'll be more at the major events, but you got to expect that.

17. metricdevilmoto

metricdevilmoto Just forking around

No, I read it on the TPM board.

18. joec

joec brace yourself

I was asked 2 times by someone to not ride my skateboard around the paddock. even though other people were riding them past other track officials with no problem. when i pointed the other person who was doing the same thing, skateboarding past other officials, the guy commented to me that "he would be speaking again with those officials as well as tracking down the offender". i of course stopped as soon as asked, but when i saw the other person riding around with no problems, i took off. only to get nabbed again just 30' away.

we never heard anything about out stands on the pavement in the paddock, or about the gas that got spilled.

that was over at the other course though.

19. antirich

antirich Well-Known Member

Except for the bridge, I never thought much about the run off at Thunderbolt until it became a topic. Last week I took a little notice of the armco while on the track; not a good idea. The run-off of the last and first turns are really not that far, can't imagine what it'll be like at AMA speeds.

I'm also wondering if DMG instructed the riders to keep their track comments positive. I can't see the riders having no issues at the speeds they carry. Then again, they do race at Mid-Ohio, and that Thunder Alley section is much scarier than any part of Thunderbolt.

20. Knarf Legna

Knarf Legna I am not Gary Hoover

I talked to friends as a friend, I have no reason to believe that every one of them was just voicing the party line.