1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

AMA at Brainerd '96

Discussion in 'General' started by Rising, Feb 6, 2010.

1. mike w

mike w Knarf's buddy

Brainerd was allways good tines

2. flyingpig70

flyingpig70 Well-Known Member

What year was it that Colin E. was on the YZF and was one of the slowest down the straight? He wouldn't lift into turn one and go around everyone? I have the race on VHS somewhere.

3. mike w

mike w Knarf's buddy

your sposed to lift in turn one?

4. Suburbanrancher

Suburbanrancher Chillzilla

5. Putter

Putter Ain't too proud to beg

I'm not sure if it was '92 because I think Polen won pretty convincingly that year. But I do remember Colin being part of a fierce 5 or 6 bike battle every lap into T3 one year. 94?

6. flyingpig70

Thats probably it, I don't know that track, and I haven't seen the race in 15 years, I wish I had a VCR.

7. Putter

It was the same year Miguel lead on the Harley. That's the loudest I have ever heard the fans yell up there. Mladin crashing in T8 was a close second.

Ya know I have the VHS tapes of most of those races somewhere. They used to be on Fox Sports Network.

8. flyingpig70

They used to sell all the races at a shop near my house when I lived in LA. I would go buy them, a couple weeks after they had run.

9. gapman789

gapman789 Well-Known Member

'94? I was thinking about this the other day....Jamie James and Colin Edwards on the YZF's.

10. Rising

Rising Well-Known Member

In the pic of the stock 851, are those your leathers hanging in the background?

11. Rising

Rising Well-Known Member

From what I remember I think the SBs would lift just a little for turn one; everyone else would keep it pinned.

The SS race that year was outstanding. I saw it on tape later and there were 5 or 6 guys fighting for the lead for most of the race.

Both Bostroms were there riding in SS and I think the 883s as well. Ben was on a Zero Gravity F3 and Eric was sponsered by an electrical company I think (I could be wrong). I don't remember what bike he was on though.

12. Putter

Yeah, I did a little digging and it was '94 that those guys were swapping positions every lap. Probably the best Superbike race I have ever seen in person.

Eventually the superbikes just got too fast to even try to keep it in sixth through T1. Eboz told me his "secret" for lack of a better term for riding a SB through one in the later years. It involved a quick downshift, starting the corner as wide left as possible, hooking up with a draft if someone was around, neutral throttle until the fat part of the tire met the pavement, and nuts the size of a f*cking elephant's. I haven't raced every track in the world or anything but I have spent alot of time in that corner (almost always on a LW bike) and from my experience and talking to actual fast dudes, there is not a scarier corner in America.

13. gapman789

I thought it was '94.
    '94 is when I bought my lst sportbike and really started to get into the racing world.
    That race was just imbedded in my head and to this day, probably the best race I've ever seen...I could watch it over and over again in awe.

14. blkduc

blkduc no time for jibba jabba

Still is for those of us that still race there. :beer:

15. RM Racing

RM Racing Tool user

I've seen a buttload of races, and I agree with you guys - that one stands out.
    Edwards, DuHamel, Corser, James, Brad Hazen...who else was in that pack? Picotte and Quarterly? DuHamel almost won that thing but ran wide in the bus stop and into the grass two laps from the end, if I remember.

16. gapman789

Mike Smith, Mike Hale, Tripp Nobles?

17. akillya

akillya TPL Racing Squadra Corse

I miss the BIR Nationals. I dont think I missed very many years between 1985-2003.

18. Skrawny

Skrawny Well-Known Member

Very sweet bonfires, some with very large pieces of magnesium!!!!

19. CRA_Fizzer

CRA_Fizzer Honking at putter!

I do miss our lobster feed at T3!!!

Or Sadowski "digging a hole"!! priceless

20. mike w

mike w Knarf's buddy

motorized couches etc.....
    and some of the most down to earth fans in the series