1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

AMA Appeal Process

Discussion in 'General' started by Don Potter, Jul 26, 2001.

1. Scarbs

Scarbs Well-Known Member

Hey John, my name is Stephen Scarbro, and while I haven't done too much for roadracing than participate and pay race fees, I can say a few things. I respect your movement towards progression of a newer AMA mentality, inside I believe that you get more progress with honey than salt. I realize that you are a journalist, but prefacing things adds a great deal of value to a cause. (I certainly agree with your movement towards an Air fence, I should have prefaced my comments with that, but total contempt and negativity never is received, even if it is right on the money.) I think you should realize that you have a tendancy to rant on the BBS; Some could consider it the proper venue, but being my sole interface to the RR world, other than RRW magazine, I don't. I haven't done to much for the road racing community, but I have done well in telecom and humanity. I am pro-active and involved in Scouting, the community, and other things. While this may sound contrite, I challenge you to think about your responses and impulses before you challenge all that oppose you. This advertises insecurity in you, and leads towards a total shut down of your ideas. As a journalist, your job is to point out short comings of things; but as a person wanting to spear-head change, this presents a challenge for your person. As whomever said above, you can't be a journalist and see the "laundry". I agree, things just don't happen that way.

I think that you do a great job as a journalist, but you will have to sever the ties to be involved in the changing of things, or select an appropriate person to sponsor your ideas, much like a lobbyist.

That is the way this Eagle Scout, Disabled Gulf War vet, successful business man, pro-active citizen, and new road racer sees it. Sorry if you differ.

I don't know if you've ever heard this one, but my moto is: "Keep smiling, and make them wonder..." Take it easy. Scarbs

2. John Ulrich

John Ulrich Well-Known Member

Sorry, TS, I didn't mean it that way. What I meant is, the frame of reference has to be considered when determining the validity of an opinion. You have every right to express your opinion on anything. And I have every right to ask, hey, what has that guy done or what experience does he have to make that opinion valid or invalid or subject to further scrutiny?

For example, a Novice comments on Hopper's riding. My question is, has he ever raced in Pro races, or been on track with Hopper, or is he making a judgement based solely on what he thought he saw on a long-shot on a TV screen?

And Scarbs, I don't come here as a journalist, much like you and most other people don't come here as whatever they do during the day. You want to judge me as a journalist, please feel free to do so--based on what I publish in Roadracing World or on roadracingworld.com, and if you do, I have to accept that as fair comment.

I am less reserved on the BBS, which is why my wife and kid keep asking me to keep off it, and I really don't know why wera.com keeps pulling me back on line into the BBS.

But that pulling 'em out and measuring them comment, that was weird, are you one of those unit-obsessed types the Boy Scouts are trying to keep out these days or did that just not come off the way you intended it, or what?

To recap: Everyone is entitled to an opinion. And everyone is also entitled to look at the person offering the opinion and ask, what is the factual basis they used to form that opinion, or the experience they have that led them to that opinion. In other words, is there a chance they know what they're talking about, or is there a chance they're just talking out their hat?

And in addition to that, are they just a critic or have they ever attempted to solve any problems that affect road racing at large?

In my opinion, of course...

[This message has been edited by John Ulrich (edited 07-31-2001).]

3. John Ulrich

One last thing about approach:

I tried the nice guy, let's have a meeting approach, and accomplished nothing, because apparently the only thing that gets these guys' attention is a 2x4 up the side of the head. My current approach is a conditioned response, and I still give it 6 months or more of presenting the case behind the scenes before launching the rockets.

Sometimes, having a nice meeting and giving away Czechoslovakia does not produce the desired results, especially when dealing with dictators.

4. Scarbs

Scarbs Well-Known Member

So I peruse the BBS to find out that I'm worthy of not only a rant, but a libelous rant. Mature, I tell you.
    Take it easy, Scarbs

5. John Ulrich

It's a simple question regarding a weird thing you put in a post.

You come in here, refer to other peoples' opinions as rants, suggest people may as well compare unit size, and then get huffy?

Dude, I must have hit a nerve, eh?

What response did you expect with that approach, exactly?

[This message has been edited by John Ulrich (edited 07-31-2001).]

6. Scarbs

Scarbs Well-Known Member

Nope, didn't hit a nerve; but what you are working towards is a libel suit. My character is impeccable. I think you should quit while you’re ahead.

7. John Ulrich

Damn! You're an expert on law, too? Great! Go for it! File those papers immediately. Last dude who did ended up paying me a lot of money, and money is a good thing! Bring it on!

By the way, when's the next time you're gonna be racing your TL-R, and where? I like watching new BBS friends race!

8. Comet117

Comet117 Well-Known Member

If you were looking for a libel suit, would you get on with the big aero hump on the back?
    I think I would make sure I got one with the back protector sewn in...yeah, that's what I would do...with pretty colors and shiny patches.

9. John Ulrich

Actually, the libel suits with the carbon/kevlar inserts are kind of cool, they look nice during depositions and heat races.

10. Comet117

Comet117 Well-Known Member

LOL [​IMG]
    Those are the ones I wanted...but since I've not been sued, I can't afford one... [​IMG]

11. John Ulrich

Yeah, you can tell you have a good lawyer when he gets you money on defense, not just offense--and owns a fleet of Ducatis and Ferraris!

12. Scarbs

Scarbs Well-Known Member

You are so funny John. I did save your "Dude, I must have hit a nerve, eh?" comment to a screen shot before you deleted it.
    Threats also, wow; that's mature. I really feel pity for you; I don't wish you any harm John, just maturity.

Oh yeah, BTW; Cancel my subscription to RRW immediately. I know I'm only one person, but I'll sleep better at night knowing that the money isn't going to you. Have a good day.

13. John Ulrich

Well, I must have, for sure! What's so funny is that here's a guy who was giving me advice on how to deal with people, completely flipping out here on the BBS, over nothing! And the lectures on maturity! And the complaints about "threats" after the implied threat of litigation? Are you having a bad day?

Take your case to a lawyer. Do it. Bring it on, big talker!

Sorry, we can't keep you from getting the issue that's already in the mail, but we will all be happy to know that our fine magazine is not disturbing you!

14. G 97

G 97 Garth

I'm sorry. I just have to laugh about Scarbs. Talk about "My dad can beat up your dad". Keep smiling because you really do have me wondering. How long does someone wait for change to happen using your so called honey approach. After awhile, when nothing changes it's time to take a more proactive approach. If people are too thin skinned and are overly sensitive... so be it. I have no control over that. Do you honestly believe that change happens for the sake of change as long as we all remain warm and fuzzy. Talk about having "the Emperor's new clothes" syndrome.
    Late, G.