1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Alpinestars GPTech gloves...Should they last longer?

Discussion in 'General' started by grendels_arm, May 8, 2007.

1. Do you have the Vortex meatgrinder rearsets? I like the way they keep my outside foot in place, but they are very hard on the soles of my boots.

2. carpediem

carpediem Well-Known Member

yep, have you ever put your foot on those things w/o shoes on? It's like standing on nails.

3. Never without shoes, but they did give me a nice cut on my shin, while riding the bike to tech inspection with shorts on.

4. grendels_arm

grendels_arm Sam Green Eggs and Ham

OK stop jacking my thread! :)

I won't be buying Alpinestars gloves any longer just based on my experience with their GPTechs.

Any more feedback on the MotoGP brand?

5. Buckwild

Buckwild Radical

I use OJ's glove and it held up great.

6. Fits a little tight, but gets the job done every time!

Seriously though, the Moto GP gloves have a good feel, and seem to hold up well after a year of wear, and one crash.

7. racesbikes

racesbikes WTB a Size 50/60 Race Suit

I thought the MotoGP gloves were okay....nothing to write home about.

Currently I'm using (I'm a gear whore):

AXO - KK-4R = $130
    http://www.kneedraggers.com/details/AXO_KK4-R_Leather_Gloves--609666.html

Very nice gloves...safe, soft, wear well, fit snug and the fingers are in proportion to the glove size

Cortech Scarab RR = $70
    http://www.kneedraggers.com/details/Cortech_Mens_Scarab_R.R._Gloves--602024.html

Paid $65 for these at Helmet Harbor....my favorite glove right now. They do all the things my other gloves do. I use them on race day and practice in the AXO's. I always change back to the Cortechs at first call - maybe superstition. Everyone should have a pair as at least their back-up gloves.

Teknic Violator = $140
    http://www.kneedraggers.com/details/Teknic_Violator_Gloves--610224.html

Top notch gloves.....no complaints except you need to order one size larger than usual and the fingers are a touch long. If I had to pick a set of gloves for a big crash these would be at the top of the list.

Spidi Penta = $260
    http://www.kneedraggers.com/details/Spidi_Penta_Race_Gloves--604787.html

Very, very nice gloves.....I did not pay full retail as I found them on sale. Soft, supple and nice looking. These gloves are REALLY nice, but for $260 they better be. They run a touch small - I couldn't recommend them due to price. They are very similar to my old Kushitani gloves.

Dainese Duel = $260 (cheaper in smaller sizes)
    http://www.kneedraggers.com/details/Dainese_Duel_Gloves--507735.html

Like the Spidi Penta - one hell of a glove, but too expensive. Overpriced and probably only good for one decent crash. Maybe the softest glove made.

My Alpinestar gloves sit at home......once I lose confidence in my gear keeping me safe I never wear it again.

I hope this helps.....PM me if you have any questions. I do not work for any equipment manufacturer and have no intention of anything other than keeping fellow racers safe.

8. Holy sh#t! Youve got more $$$$ into your gloves than I do into my leathers and gloves combined!

9. racesbikes

Wait until you see my list of leathers, helmets and boots......

It's a sickness.

:D

10. grendels_arm

What was bad about them?

here's what I'm looking for in order of importance

1. Crash worthiness
    2. comfort
    3. durability
    4. price (nothing near $150 unless they have some type of multiple year guarantee)
    5. they look cool (I don't care how good I don't wear pink gloves)

11. IMO, the moto gp fufill all of your requirements.

12. racesbikes

The MotoGP gloves were on a level with the Joe Rocket GPX 2.0 gloves, although I would rate the JR's a little higher.

If you're trying to keep below $100 then consider the Cortech Scarab or the Komodo Ceno race gloves. Sometimes the Teknic gloves go on sale at NewEnough - if they drop down to your price setpoint it is very good gear.

13. grendels_arm

Is now a good time to ask your opinion of the MotoGP kangaroo leathers?

14. racesbikes

There was a recent thread on the MotoGP leathers on here somewhere, but I can't remember the title of it. I'm sure it can be found using the "search" function.

I'm not fully qualified to comment on the MotoGP suits because I've never worn them, but I have worn most of the other major suits. I've seen many of the MotoGP suits before and after crashing. No two crashes are the same, but some things can be learned from looking at the results of the crashes. I don't wear the MotoGP suits and have no intention of wearing them. My race partner just bought a new suit and opted to buy the Hein Gericke Celtic suit instead of the MotoGP. This is a pretty nice suit for under $500. He was wearing the AXO suit and it is on par with the Hein Gericke.

http://sportbiketrackgear2.homestead.com/gericke_celtic.html

In the thread I mentioned above, both Barnacle Bill and Alexa from Spyderworks offer opinions on the "crash worthyness" of suits. They've forgotten more about suits than I know - consult with them if possible.

My biggest crashes have been in Syed and Vanson suits......not a scratch in any of the falls. I currently wear RS Taichi.

15. Bob E.

Bob E. _________________________

I have tried the Cortech Scarab for fit. They feel great but I had reservations about how well they would protect in a racing environment. It seems like you would be in the grass pretty quick at Talladega so I wouldn't mind trying them there. The thought of a long slide on asphalt at Road Atlanta is what kept me from buying them. Do you know of other racers using the Scarab? Any crash reports?

16. racesbikes

I've seen one trackday rider fall wearing them - he was on an FZ-1 going at a pretty good clip and he had no problems considering his "large" size. But here is the disclaimer.....all crashes are different. I do not know if he was cognizant enough to ball up his fists or where/how his hands hit the pavement. In all honesty you could come up with crash scenarios where every glove made would fail.

If I was on a fast bike, at a fast track like either of the two Road A's and thought crashing was a distinct possibility that day, I would wear my Teknics.....non-scientific, but it lets me sleep at night.

17. Phat Chance

Phat Chance Silence, I kill you!

We just heard back from the fine folks at Alpine Star. Jeff Weiner called and ask us to send the damaged gloves back for evaluation and they are replacing them with their newest creation. I don't think they are too keen about covering the medical bills but it is better than a sharp stick in the eye. If you have problems with your gloves or any other A.S. gear, maybe you should contact: [email protected]. I'm not making any promises that you will get anything other than an answer. Best of luck!

18. ekraft84

ekraft84 Registered User

Tell that boy to stop crashin'!

:D

19. Phat Chance

Phat Chance Silence, I kill you!

Eddie, for some reason he just won't listen. He is hard headed like his momma.

20. ekraft84

ekraft84 Registered User

:beer: