1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

ALMS GT2 Laguna Race Finish

Discussion in 'General' started by DrA5, Oct 12, 2009.

1. Rx3

Rx3 1%

Hope my DVR caught it, I was out of town this weekend.

2. svtinker

svtinker Well-Known Member

Looks like the Porche purposely slowed on the last turn to block. Running someone into the wall.......does nascar own this series?

3. onepointone

onepointone Well-Known Member

To me it looked like the vette gave the porche a tap which made him loose traction coming onto the straight, in turn ruining his drive. It looked like bad sportmanship on the vettes part that was given back to him from the porche. Doesn't mean throw him into the wall, but I was kind of happy to see him (driver of the porche) not take it on the chin..

4. ScottyRock155

ScottyRock155 A T-Rex going RAWR!

Oh SNAP!!! :D

5. Repo Man

Repo Man 50 years of Yamaha GP!!

W00T!!, rubbin' is racin'.... If Dale Junior was there he woulda kicked all their asses..... Yeeeehaw!!! :beer:

6. EngineNoO9

EngineNoO9 Well-Known Member

It started back when the porsche kept blocking real bad and pushing the vette off of the track. The vette was clearly faster and there's a huge difference between a love tap and crashing someone. I saw the porsche play that same type of bullshit at the end of sebring a year or two ago with a ferrari.

7. ecf

ecf Well-Known Member

Ok, now you guys are just giving me another excuse to post some ALMS shots. I'm lucky enough to get invited to Le Mans races by Bell Micro, so my favorite is whatever car they are sponsoring :) Last year they did great with Tafel racing (Ferrari) but this year they're sponsoring Panoz Team PTG.

[​IMG]

Regardless of who you think was wrong it sure was a better ending than the Petit Le Mans at Road Atlanta.

[​IMG]

Personally I prefer the Corvette team over the Lizards - especially since the Lizards ran a fellow Dane into the wall, so here is the order the race should have finished in :)

[​IMG]

Btw. If you want more photos just let me know... I have plenty of them and am happy to share.

8. random hero

random hero Banned

Exactly.... I remember, it was so dark you could hardly tell what was going on w/the tv cameras, but you could tell the Porsche was smashing into the Ferrari to the line... IMO they should do something about blocking, if these drivers wouldn't insist on holding faster guys up, a lot of these incidents could be avoided. I understand wanting to win, but obviously being the slower car, going out of your way to keep people behind you, and topping it off by spinning the guy out after running him into the wall is pure chickenshit imo:down:

9. DrA5

DrA5 The OTHER Great Dane

IMSA and ALMS have always had good pariety formulas that tend to work. They had four classes, but had hard times getting decent field numbers. Next year, its going down to two, one for prototypes and one for sports cars. Which is good for the fans, as they will easily discern what car is battling with what car.

10. Chip

Chip Registered

:stupid:

11. DrA5

Say hi to Daniel Madish and Robin Osborne next time you see them from Doc. I hang with Daniel, his lovely wife and Robin when they come to Road America and we make sure we have dinner when they are in town. I gave Daniel an old picture of his boss, Don Bell, in his old AT&T IMSA Camel GT Lights car from Road America taken years ago!

12. Repo Man

Repo Man 50 years of Yamaha GP!!

Watch close:

Porsche goes left to block, Vette gets along side, turns RIGHT to punk the Porsche, Porsche brakes, lets dumbass in Vette cross in front and the hit the wall - *the Vette crossed in front of the Porsche...*

Vette screwed himself. :crackup:

There's no way the Vette would turn that hard if it he did'nt mean to.

13. Flex Axlerod

Flex Axlerod Banned

the vette tried a pit maneuver on the Porsche. He got what he deserved.

14. ecf

ecf Well-Known Member

That's cool. Yeah - they are really great guys and I'll make sure to mention you next time I talk to them. I was very tempted to go to Laguna Seca this weekend, but traveling across country for a 4 hour race was a little too far - plus I had to shoot at GNF.

15. DrA5

I think you hit it on the head. I didnt see the Porsche do the "spin turn in" on the vette. At first, I thought the Porsche should have backed off that last time after forcing the vette to the inside twice, but I think what Repo man said is what occured. If anything, if the Porsche forced the vette into the spin, he would have done a tank slapper/Swedish Snap first. Everyone really needs to see the last ten laps to see all the argy-bargy that was going on between the two. It was aggressive, but fair.

16. Jed

Jed mellifluous

Love the Ford GT

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And the Panoz

[​IMG]

Deer in headlights:

[​IMG]

17. Goodwood

Goodwood Well-Known Member

18. ecf

ecf Well-Known Member

Here's one going down the hill towards 12 in the rain.

[​IMG]

Panoz catching a little air going over the strips in turn 3. Btw. I saw someone at GNF catching some air there too after crossing the strips and ending up in the hole in the dirt dug by the cars. Looked like he got launched pretty good but managed to land safely.

[​IMG]

I don't know if anyone noticed the tiremarks in the grass in turn 10. They were still visible this weekend. Here's how they happened - tire blew as he was braking for 10a during qualifying.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

19. DrA5

If you see how far back the Corvette comes in the last turn to try and punt the Porsche, you can expect that he would force the issue on the straight. I thought there was no way he would make T11, but he used the Porsche as part of the brake zone too.

20. DrA5

ECF, lets see some LMP1 and LMP2 cars!!