1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Allstate Insurance... and a trackday mishap

Discussion in 'General' started by Revenant.Eagle, Oct 21, 2008.

1. Revenant.Eagle

Revenant.Eagle What turn was it?

I know this has been a discussed issue in the past, but the threads always spiraled out of control bashing the insurance companies. I'd like to avoid that in this one.

I had a trackday lowside where the bike did a few tumbles (and I smacked my head pretty well too) and cracked most of the fairings off. Now comes the questions:

1. Will I be covered as it wasn't a racing event? It was a private trackday with a local dealer.
    2. If yes, is it worth filing a claim (I'd say a good $4k worth of damage)?
    3. How many of you have done this before?

Now, I've seen plenty of threads where people have just claimed it was a single person accident on the street and filed the claim as such. I really don't want to do that, but at the same time I would like to get some of my money back out of my insurance.

That being said, what if allstate totals it? Can I deal with them to either buy it back, or cut me a check for just under the totaling value? How trained are the adjusters? Are they just going to say 'bodywork' when the forks are tweaked and other small things are missing/damaged?

Thanks for the help guys :)

2. OZZY

OZZY I DO WORK.....

as long as you can prove that it is a instructional riding school and NOT racing, you should be able to get the bike covered....

you may want to look at what all your going to need and see if you can locate the parts vie the bbs or other sale sites... if its cheaper then maybe you shouldnt claim it to keep the premiums down...

3. Sig

Sig Well-Known Member

No, don't take your bike to the track unless you are prepared to pay for the damages.
    You shouldn't have your bike on the track unless you are prepared to wad it up into a ball of metal and be ok with it.

Don't file a claim so you won't contribute to higher insurance premiums for everybody.

:)

4. RubberChicken

RubberChicken PimpMasterT

1) Read your policy. It will tell you whether you are covered for any incident on the racetrack. In some states, Progressive now has language that excludes ANYTHING that happens at a racing facility, even in the parking lot. (I would imagine that a lot of the guys whose bikes got blown over at the IndyGP were pretty surpirsed to read that...) Different companies have different language in the policies even year to year. Read your policy EVERY year, as soon as you receive it, and before you pay your annual premium.

2) You are basically saying "I want to be honest, or have people believe that I am honest, but I want to make some money off my insurance company even if I have to lie to do it." What's up with that?

5. ducnut748

ducnut748 King of Speed

:stupid::clap:

6. Gigantic

Gigantic Maverick Moto Media

:stupid:

7. GixxerBlade

GixxerBlade Oh geez

I wouldn't even bring it up to my insurance company unless I was positive of the coverage on the track. I asked one time about track excursions and they were ready to drop me just for asking. A wise old friend once told me, "Don't take anything on the track unless you were prepared to throw it in a dumpster and walk away."

8. zerosense

zerosense Well-Known Member

Touche'. I have a friend that told me the same thing. (Thanks Kurt!) I'd be more concerned about whether or not your medical insurance would cover you.

9. Fuzzy317

Fuzzy317 a Crash Truck near you

This may have been mentioned/asked but how old is the bike, meaning is the bike worth more than the 4k? if its not worth more than the repair cost, they may total it. :down:

FYI - I filed a claim on my GS a year or so ago, and took it to an approved repair shop for estimate of the repairs. To get the bike back to almost new condition cost more than the bike was worth, so the insurance company was going to total it. I did the main repairs myself without worrying about cosmetic issues. The insurance sent me a small check to cover the loss of value.

10. Racer45

Racer45 old guy just tryin'

My agent is a former racer and he has told me in the past that ANYTHING at the track is not covered. I have had my squids argue with me about this saying that they have crashed at the track and found it hard to believe. Last year when I took my street bike to do a track day, my agent even said "you know if you fall down, it's not covered right?"

11. cBJr

cBJr Well-Known Member

If your insurance doesn't exclude trackdays, then you are paying for that coverage. If you can file a claim without being dishonest, you're not doing anything wrong. I haven't been through the process myself, so I don't have much advice for you, but I'm pretty sure I've had friend file claims for track-induced damage.

12. Six3SixGal

Six3SixGal Official WERA Cat Lady

not sure about Allstate - I heard that was one of the companies that is in the process of excluding it, but hasn't yet. Get a copy of the POLICY CONTRACT. Go to the FIRST PARTY BENEFITS page and read the exclusions. It will tell you there - Coverage varies state to state company to company so NO ONE on this board, unless they have a copy of your contract, can tell you what you're covered for.

I can tell you almost 100% positive that they will total it. Unless its an 08 1000 (worth more)... salvage values are coming back at about 35-40% so its very very easy to total a bike.

and +1 - if you're riding on the track - you should be prepared to come home with the bike in a box. Lying is insurance fraud and you could actually go to jail if you get caught. I know - one of my friends did!!! Good person too... he just lied and got caught big time!!

13. 88/532

88/532 Simply Antagonistical

You gotta pay to play. It's not your insurance company's responsibility if you take chances most would deem unnecessary.

And, it's a track day for pete sake, stop crashing.

14. roy826ex

roy826ex Been around here a while

Back last year at Barber a guy I now highsided his then new '06 CBR1000RR out of the museum turn. Messed the bike up real bad, it was eventually a total. He never mentioned the track to his insurance company State Farm. He told them he hit a dog on a local road near his home. He got the bike totalled and ended up pocketing more money than he had put into the bike to begin with after the loan was paid off.:rolleyes:I did not totally agree with what he did but basically it was none of my business. I was simply a by stander. I took my streetbike GSX-R1000 to 4 trackdays, I own it though no loan, I have full coverage insurance on it. I always knew if I crashed it on the track I would not file a claim but fix it myself or go 100% trackbike with it and drop the required street use insurance. That never happened and I bought a dedicated trackbike this past July.

Insurance claims do happen from people riding on the track not sure how to police this or even if it should be policed.

15. R Acree

R Acree Banned

Your friend is a thief and liar.

16. paistes5

paistes5 Well-Known Member

Call your local agent and ask. That is the best thing to do. I talk with mine about my street and track bikes and they are very helpful. They tried their hardest to help me get theft protection on the race bike but couldn't. We even brainstormed awhile trying to figure out a way. Bottom line is nobody on this board knows what your contract says, so call those guys for some help.

17. roy826ex

roy826ex Been around here a while

I agree but that is his business not mine. What usually comes around ends up going around in the end.;)

18. gpstar748

gpstar748 Well-Known Member

you were on the track, you realize you might wreck the damn thing...........deal with it

i know if you have state farm and they even hear the word race or track theyll try to drop you

19. RockRocks

RockRocks head goober

suck it up.

20. RCjohn

RCjohn Killin machine.

That's a lie that can land a person in jail too.