1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

All Wheel Drive Tire Replacement

Discussion in 'General' started by speedluvn, Jan 31, 2020.

1. YoshiHNS

YoshiHNS Mr. Slowly

TireRack does tire shaving. Easiest route. You tell them how much to shave off the new tire and they will do it and ship it for you. Then you only replace 1 tire instead of 4.

You should get the tires to match. It's extra wear and tear on the diffs if they are too far out. Rather pay an extra $10-$20 to match the tire than $$$ for a new diff.

speedluvn likes this.
  2. stangmx13

stangmx13 Well-Known Member

it rly depends on the car. worst case scenario is that a large enough difference will cause your AWD system to think one tire is slipping while you are driving down the freeway. eventually, you'll end up with a very worn LSD or some broken part in/near the transfer case.

3. speedluvn

speedluvn Man card Issuer

It was all done over the phone.

4. Evad101

Evad101 Well-Known Member

2014 Acura MDX - we replaced all 4. Key is to keep up on the rotation schedule to make sure of even wear.

off topic: We love this car, it has a cool little feature on the info screen that shows which tire(s) is/are getting power and when. Its biased towards the front but cool to see when you take a corner at speed and put some coals to it how the power transfers to the rear outside tire.

Phl218 likes this.
  5. speedluvn

I really like my Durango but damn, it seems that its one thing after another and the car is paid off. It really has me considering a 4Runner as my next vehicle. Which I hope is no time soon.

6. pickled egg

pickled egg There is no “try”

So Zit Boy didn’t see you cry?

7. speedluvn

I will admit I was just a little butt-hurt but I didn't call him any names. So I called this morning to cancel the appointment. I did not participate in any of the over the phone thuggery.

8. pickled egg

Way to go, Gandhi :D

9. speedluvn

Don't you have some electrical shyt to fug up, somewhere? :Poke:

10. pickled egg

Nah. Killing time til I go pick up the girls and the party begins! :D

11. speedluvn

Understandable

12. fossil

fossil Well-Known Member

With Subarus, the max difference they will tolerate is 3/32". Side-to-side AND front-to-rear. Any greater difference will cause one of the diffs to overheat and fail. This, by the way, is the reason that the tire pressure monitor systems in these cars is so sensitive. A 4.5lb difference in tire pressures will cause the exact same problem with the diffs. Hence the long lines at your Subaru dealer after that first really cold snap.
    You can buy tires shaved to make them within tolerance of 3/32". Surprisingly, not many Subaru owners do this.
    I can tell you from my personal experience that most Subarus will use tread depth on the tires at a rate where the magic number is right around 20k miles. If the tires on the car have more than 20k on them, you will have to make a decision.
    Yes, good dealerships will take a stand on this issue. And yes, it is for liability reasons. That should tell you how real the situation is.

speedluvn likes this.
  13. Spitz

Spitz Well-Known Member

They are not blowing smoke at all.. Even the same size tire of different tire brands are different circumferences. This crap wouldn't matter on an open differential 20 years ago in a RWD car or truck, but there isn't a differential between the front and rear on a true 4x4 vehicle, its why you dont run them down dry pavement in 4x4, there NEEDS to be a slippage while turning (dirt road, snow, whatever), the front tires travel in a different arc than the rear when turning. If you mismatch tires front and rear and don't have that slippage, something is going to get strained (usually the transfer case is the weak point. Here comes in your chain issue) Moving onto AWD, some have a viscous clutch (subaru), they too can only take so much difference before wear starts occuring. Most other AWD's are use some sort of electromagnetic clutch between front and rear, again that needs to be within reason or shit breaks. There is no smoke and mirrors, it's just a solid policy.

speedluvn likes this.
  14. Inst Tech

Inst Tech ain't no half steppin

"tire store place"? Don't you boys up north have Discount Tire stores yet?

15. speedluvn

I saw that place. The closest is in Virginia somewhere

16. chrysta1

chrysta1 Well-Known Member

Can you find a used tire on EBAY or used tire place with similar wear as the three good tires?

17. Spitz

Spitz Well-Known Member

So were gunna shave a new tire to match old tires and now lookin at used tires? Cheap fucks. :crackup: 6 years old and failure rate sky rockets. Put new meats on and be done with it.
    If it aint worth new tires maybd its time to send it off?

18. chrysta1

chrysta1 Well-Known Member

6 year old tires My wheelbarrow has newer tires. I had not considered tires that old, my daily driver gets new tires every two years maybe three.

19. speedluvn

I used to purchase used tires before I had kids. My main issue was confirming what the sales manager was referring to. I’m at the tire shop now and I was just informed that I needed a $19 lug nut. :rolleyes:

20. speedluvn

Sometimes information is necessary to make the best decision for your situation. This info may not necessarily apply to you.