1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

All Knowing Beeb! Moving Help!

Discussion in 'General' started by CafeRacer, Aug 9, 2012.

1. CafeRacer

CafeRacer Well-Known Member

Need some ideas guys.

I am about to move back to LA after two quick years in NYC. I love it here but a job came along that I can't pass up.

I've been living in a furnished place so I don't have any furniture. What I do have is two complete motorcycles and one fully-disassembled one. I also have some tools and all the moto gear you'd expect.

I don't have the time (or frankly the inclination) to drive this stuff out there myself.

Does anyone have any good ideas about how to get my stuff to LA safely and cheaply?

Thanks all.

2. elvee

elvee Well-Known Member

ABF shipping pod? Similar idea as the PODS stuff, but smaller units are available, and rates are a bit better for long hauls. Or a couple of Forward Air crates. They don't care what you put in them really. One for each complete bike, one for the pile of parts. Pack the gear around everything else.

3. worthless

worthless Well-Known Member

This...

http://www.forwardair.com/prepaid/MCmainpage.jsp

4. BigBird

BigBird blah

5. beac83

beac83 "My safeword is bananna"

How about Funtransport.com (allied) for the complete bikes. I've used them between Chicago and LA and been very happy with their service. They offer discounts to AMA members, too.

For the parts and tools, box/crate and ship as standard cargo by truck.

Otherwise, rent U-Haul or similar and have one of your buddies drive the load out, then fly them back to NYC.

6. Scotty87

Scotty87 Lacks accountability

This sounds like the easiest for you and the least amount of legwork, but probably not even close to the cheapest option.

I'd be up for a trip like that in a heartbeat if there was a need in my area, sounds fun. I always wanted to ride or drive cross country.

7. dieterly

dieterly Well-Known Member

8. backcountryme

backcountryme Word to your mother.

Yeah, just crate it all up nice and tight and ship it as one shipment. Call around to freight brokers. There are always back hauls going. When I moved from Texas to Calgary I sold almost everything I owned and shipped the rest via a broker. I shipped a 4 foot by 4 foot by 5 foot crate from Texas to Canada for about $300. It took about 2 weeks (I wasn't worried about time) but it all got there. Just make sure you build the crate really strong. It is likely to have stuff stacked on top of it. I used 2x4 to make a good strong framework, then closed it in with 1/2 plywood. I then put shock stickers all over it. That makes the guys on the docks think twice about how they handle the crate.

9. L8RSK8R

L8RSK8R Well-Known Member

Contact this guy who shipped my bike from upstate NY to San Diego. I found him thru UShip and he was several hundred lower than anyone else on there, $600 for my bike.

[email protected]

He's a crabby auld bastard for sure, but he did get the job done. Mention racing etc and he may give ya a good deal.

You'll spend $1000+ in fuel if you rent a truck and it will take ya the guts of a week to make the trip.

Or...convince Luke to swing by on his way back from Mexico City :D

Last edited: Aug 9, 2012
  10. CafeRacer

Thanks guys.

There's no way I do it myself. I just don't have a week (or three hard, miserable days) to do it before the new job starts.

I guess the wildcard here is the project bike. Has anyone shipped a full motorcycle in pieces? Engine is complete and so are the wheels.

Bike is a 1972 Guzzi if anyone cares or wants a visual.

11. PATBAROK

PATBAROK I <3 Poontang

12. CafeRacer

Thanks. Care to elaborate?

13. PATBAROK

PATBAROK I <3 Poontang

after looking into uship and forward air, he was referred to me by one of the mods on mrrf when I was looking to purchase a bike from Iowa to NYC. Spoke to him and set up everything, but unfortunately something came up where the deal fell tru with the bike...

All he does is transport bikes state to state-i think he has a Sprinter Van, very nice guy to talk to!

if I was going to purchase another bike out of state-he's my go to guy!

14. CafeRacer

Thanks man.

15. CafeRacer

So Marty just left my place. He's excellent. Super nice guy. Great communication.

If any of you need a man who has a large Sprinter van, Marty is your guy.

16. motion

motion Nihilistic Member

PM if you want the contact info for my bike shipper. He's located in Ohio. He's shipped maybe a dozen bikes for me and is very reasonable.