1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

All Dogs go to Heaven...

Discussion in 'General' started by Shocker, Apr 2, 2021.

1. Shocker

Shocker Well-Known Member

Give your pups some extra love today. I'm still getting punched right in the feels and it wasn't even one of my pups that crossed the rainbow bridge.

Yesterday our boy, Maverick, turned three. My wife and I decided to take him and his sister to the largest dog park (23 acres) in our urban sprawl of a County to have some fun chasing other dogs around before sunset. We headed towards the back side of the park, where there are wooded walking trails, when we came across a crowd of people standing around a lady on her knees crying hysterically while clutching her lifeless pup.

I just knew nobody was going to do anything based on their blank stares, plus the lady was overcome with shock, so I told my wife to pull up the address of the animal hospital her sister works at. I walked over and asked the lady if I could carry her pup to her car so that she could take him to the animal hospital. She agreed and I scooped the 60lb pup up and cradled him in the most respectful way possible. I carried him through the park, passing by what seemed like every person in the world, with the owner walking next to me absolutely distraught and blaming herself the entire walk back to her car.

She told my wife that the pup had an existing heart condition and we think it must have had a heart attack and died. I didn't want to tell the lady this as I didn't know how she would process it, but at least the pup passed away while having the time of his life playing with other dogs. It was quite the somber evening afterwards.

Seriously, who the hell is cutting onions around here?? :(

2. scottn

scottn Well-Known Member

Damn I love dogs. Put my last one down almost ten years ago and I just can't go through that again.

StaccatoFan and Shocker like this.
  3. Circacee

Circacee Well-Known Member

Walking my Boxer with more love this weekend. :(

Shocker likes this.
  4. auminer

auminer Renaissance Redneck

:(

Thank you for being there.

Hopefully as her wound heals the lady will be able to realize that what you said is true. We each owe a death. I wish we could all pay that debt in such a fashion.

cav115, Shenanigans and Shocker like this.
  5. Sabre699

Sabre699 Wait...hold my beer.

You're a good dude @Shocker...RIP puppy dog.

Boman Forklift and Shocker like this.
  6. SundaySocial

SundaySocial Blue & Gold

That’s a lot of love from you, for the dog AND the master.

Shocker likes this.
  7. NemesisR6

NemesisR6 Gristle McThornbody

Oof. This was hard to read. Good on you for doing what you could.

Shocker likes this.
  8. Shocker

Shocker Well-Known Member

Thanks all.

I just know that if my wife was there with our dogs and one of them passed suddenly, she would have been reacting the same way (Hell, I'd probably react the same way as well) and I just hope someone would come along and do what I did to help ease some of the pain.

9. Circacee

If we're doing sad stories, my older sister had a doggo named Sky. She was a stray digging through some trash at a burger joint when my sisters son spotted her. He lured her in with food and took her home. They instantly clicked and the doggo was a part of the family BBQ's, even trips to Vegas. She was an awesome little Ratdog(smaller terrier mix).

They come by my house one day and Sky's running around like normal. Someone left the door open and that's when we heard it, the agony in her little yelp was so loud. My sister panicked and freaked the fuck out, freaking her kids out in process.. I ran out the door and when I got to her, I knew she was done for. A small. 12-15lb dog is nothing against a car. I threw a blanket on her, picked her up as if she was a newborn and handed her to my sister. She held on until they hit the vet where she passed in my nieces arms. Shit was terrible man.

Doggo's are a blessing to us. They love us unconditionally and we don't deserve them.

10. tony 340

tony 340 Well-Known Member

I have family members I'd rather lose than another dog.

That shit is terrible.

dobr24, Circacee, ToofPic and 5 others like this.
  11. sharkattack

sharkattack Rescued pets over people. All day, every day

Onions are being cut at my house right now, dammit.

Good on you for doing what you did. Dogs have a soft spot in my heart that only dog lovers will understand. I’ve had my share of dogs pass away, and it never gets easier.

My current bestie is a Chihuahua/Dachshund mix we call Mad Max!

ToofPic, scottn and Shocker like this.
  12. Mike Lafayette

Mike Lafayette Well-Known Member

Not much more to say that others haven't, glad you were there that day for the dog and the owner. My evening walk with my dog will have even more meaning after reading this; RIP puppy.

13. BrianC636

BrianC636 Well-Known Member

I’m not much of a dog person anymore as we have some cool feline friends but my will never pass up an opportunity to give some pets to fur children.

They remind us that we’re all in this together no matter how we’re build and we should give a bit of love to everyone we meet.

Shocker likes this.
  14. evakat

evakat Well-Known Member

We lost our husky Gypsy a few years ago.. She quietly passed away while sleeping in our living room. She was older and we knew her time was running out. I cried like a little girl when we realized she left us. Hell, I am teary eyed just remembering and typing this.
    My dogs are my family!

deathblow, ToofPic and Shocker like this.
  15. Banditracer

Banditracer Dogs - because people suck

You did a good thing carrying the dog out for her. I'd guess she couldn't have and obviously nobody else was going to help.
    It sucks every time we lose one but they're still our best friends.

Sabre699 and Shocker like this.
  16. Motofun352

Motofun352 Well-Known Member

Lost our mutt, Casey, years ago. An almost useless dog unless you consider "love puppy" worthwhile. Nothing except groundhogs would get that dog excited. Do anything, pull her ears, chase her around, anything at all and she just thought it was playing. Best dog ever. I don't want another as I know I'll be disappointed.

evakat and RichB like this.
  17. cortezmachine

cortezmachine Banned

I’ve had a few dogs die on me growing up. The one that got me was a beautiful little pit bull/boxer mix that I walked up to on the sidewalk one day coming home from school. She had been struck by a car and there was a massive blood track from the street to the spot I found her because she tried to pull herself out of the road paralyzed from the waist down. She was dying. Her hips were completely crushed. I stood there petting her for a a minute. She was just looking at me with one eye because she couldn’t lift her head. I felt so bad. I picked up a big rock, smashed her skull, and called animal control to collect her when I got home.

Last edited: Apr 2, 2021
  18. Hyperdyne

Hyperdyne Indy United SBK

I lost my best bud nearly 2 years ago and have just started to entertain getting another dog.

I trust them more than humans.

Blackbeener and evakat like this.
  19. Circacee

Fuck

20. Funkm05

Funkm05 Dork

Put my 15 year old golden down in October. Brought home the new pup 2/14. I was SO ready to have a pooch in the house again.