1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Airsoft Gun Advice

Discussion in 'General' started by bkeros, Apr 7, 2012.

1. bkeros

bkeros Well-Known Member

I'm looking for a reasonably good airsoft pistol, and was wondering what people recommend in the $100 range. I've seen a couple of gas powered guns in the 450 FPS / 150-180 ft range, but know absolutely nothing about guns that don't use gunpowder. I'm looking for the highest FPS rating and effective range...but not sure which guns actually meet the claims and which ones definitely do not. You know how this goes...five different products all claim the same thing, but only one or two claims are accurate...like Ferracci's dyno :)p)!

Any advice? brands to stay away from? Brands that have great products across the range?

Thanks in advance!

2. pickled egg

pickled egg There is no “try”

Get an actual Airsoft that's a replica of your standard weapon. All your accessories will fit and the weapon functions *exactly* like its powder-actuated cousin. :up:

3. socalrider

socalrider pathetic and rude

why a pistol, specifically?

if price doesnt matter, KSC/KWA has some good pistols that perform great. just dont know why you want a pistol. 98% of the games i have played didnt require one, and it was extra weight on my vest.

4. bergs

bergs Well-Known Member

Interesting this thread comes up as I just ordered a Cybergun AEG AK47 the other day from airsoftmegastore.com and am in process of organizing some skirmishes on my property.

Also curious as to why a pistol? It may have the range and speed but accuracy is kind of important too, no?

5. hrc_nick_11

hrc_nick_11 Well-Known Member

He might be using it as practice for his pistol! For pistol matches. Or just does not want to practice his draw with a real firearm.

6. ryoung57

ryoung57 Off his meds

Here is my real G22 next to my airsoft replica. It's a gas gun but I don't remember the brand and it's not written anywhere on it. I got it for training and it's pretty realistic. It even weighs about the same. The "magazine" contains the pellets and the gas reservoir. You charge it with what amounts to AC refrigerant and it lasts about as long as the pellets that fit in the mag do. The slide cycles with each shot to load the next pellet.

[​IMG]

I put the blue tape on the replica to keep from killing the neighbors cat with the real gun :D

7. bkeros

bkeros Well-Known Member

Good question, and I knew I was gonna have to explain why AND give you guys a good laugh at the same time.

Why do I want an airsoft gun (when I have a house full of the real stuff), and a pistol in particular?

They're beautiful, they're graceful...and they're malicious. That's right...SWANS! :crackup:

I live between two lakes, and often go kayaking or jet-skiing during the summer. Believe it or not, I've been attacked by Swans and have about had enough. Sounds ridiculous I know, until you consider that they have hard bone baseballs for elbows that they use to fight with, and with a six foot+ wingspan they throw a serious punch! They are so territorial, that they will head over towards me at full steam from 200 yards away! WTF?!? I know where they nest, and I'm not bothering that area at all. They literally will come from 200 yards or more directly at me.

Believe it or not, it's such a problem that the state DNR specifically allows lethal force to be used if you are attacked or even about to be attacked. I'm not looking to make swan burgers, but I'd like to convince them that they need to go somewhere else rather than jack with me in a kayak.

SO...needless to say, I can't really take the HK out on the fookin' lake, and the AR is a bit overkill :)eek:). So...what to use when they come steaming over or decide to dive bomb from above? Seems clear to me....a powerful airsoft pistol.

Accuracy is pretty important, but I'm talking about 75 feet or less. A rifle is impractical to carry on board an 11 ft kayak (haha) so a pistol it is. I saw one model on airsplat.com promising 450 fps and a range of 180 feet or so for $98. I don't recall the brand, but it was the only one with those specs at $98. Claimed to be accurate, also.
    So that's the deal! Ha.

Last edited: Apr 9, 2012
  8. Saltman

Saltman Curves Are Sexy

Hahaha that's awesome. Let us know what you end up getting. I need one myself for my neighbors cat that keeps coming into my garage to drop off some kitty litter as I'm working in the back of the house.

9. GSVR 946

GSVR 946 Banned

I'd pickup a .22lr revolver over an air soft gun.

10. Rising

Rising Well-Known Member

My 9 yr old has a spring powered one he got at Walmart for about $12. I figured it would be useless but it has enough power and is accurate enough to shoot pop cans at 30 to 40 ft. It would not be strong enough for fending off a goose though.

11. bkeros

bkeros Well-Known Member

My first thought was a small pistol firing .22 shorts. However, the lake behind me is a "quiet lake" and I'm concerned about noise / ricochet's. Noise...prolly not a problem. Ricochet off the water...possibly, although not likely with a short. Illegal discharge of a firearm...also not likely, but if the wrong person is in their back yard, and they hear the report and see the bird go down...:eek:

That takes me back to airsoft. I'm thinking that something putting out 450 fps, with a range of 150-180 feet...is going to be effective at 50-75 feet. I'm assuming that a swan is not going to like getting hit by half a dozen pellets at that range.

12. bergs

bergs Well-Known Member

LOL

You HAVE to get video of this!

13. bkeros

bkeros Well-Known Member

Yeah no shit...it is pretty funny, actually. Until one of those flying rats decides to knock you upside the head with it's 6ft reach!

14. jackel151

jackel151 Well-Known Member

You might take a look at some of the burst fire or full auto bb guns. about the same fps but bb's probley hit with more energy. I havent shot one but i have been looking at the Umarex steel storm. $80 for the 6 shoot burst model $100 full auto

15. Jed

Jed mellifluous

airsoftatlanta.com

16. bkeros

bkeros Well-Known Member

Interesting...that's good advice! I'll check that out. Really, it'd be interesting to find out with that impact energy at 75 feet is, and then compare from there. I don't know if anyone has those metrics, though.

I'll also check out airsoftatlanta.com... thanks for that too!

17. bkeros

bkeros Well-Known Member

18. Newsshooter

Newsshooter Well-Known Member

19. GSVR 946

GSVR 946 Banned

Ruger .22 pistol with a can ( silencer) sounds perfect then.

At this point, may as well do an AR-15 pistol in .223, or a replica AR-15 pistol in .22LR.

Oh yea, with a silencer on it.

20. hrc_nick_11

hrc_nick_11 Well-Known Member

Do you know they make a shot shell for a 22LR? Kind of like bird shot used for snakes mostly. Would reduce the issues you talked about. If you can find 22short in a shot shell it would not be as loud.