1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Air Mattresses - Chemistry Gurus

Discussion in 'General' started by Zebo51, May 1, 2006.

1. Zebo51

Zebo51 Slide'n It

I camped this past weekend at BeaveRun. Night temps got below 40 I believe. Friday night my air mattress went flat over a couple hour period. I inflated it again and the same thing happened.

So on Sat I went and bought a knew one. It did the same thing Sat night, although it lasted a little longer. It didn't get quite as cold that night either.

So does this just have something to do with the air temps? The first mattress I used several times last year with no problems. You would think on the box or instructions it would mention that in cold weather they would deflate if it was an issue.

Are the air molecules kinda acting like tire pressure where they expand and contact with tempurature change? So if I put my mattress out in the sun, would it fill back up?

I think I got a D in chemistry :(

Thanks

2. Knarf Legna

Knarf Legna I am not Gary Hoover

I have to stop every few miles to put air in my tires in the winter up here.

3. Jefe

Jefe Wannabe

Use Nitrogen.

The molecules are larger and less prone to seeping out of rubber, not so sure about vinyl though.

Although, you could just have a hole in the mattress.

4. Knarf Legna

Knarf Legna I am not Gary Hoover

Well, if you're right, that would only solve 22% of his seepage problem at best. Don't know about your planet, but the one I'm on nitrogen's already in our air. ;)

5. Jefe

Jefe Wannabe

Alright smarty. :D

Pure Nitrogen, out of a bottle, like many different types of racers use. :p

6. YamRZ350

YamRZ350 Nicorette Dependent

Google "Boyles Law" for part of your answer, maybe.

I think you have 2 mattresses with holes though...

7. stickman

stickman crash free since 5/6/07

(Pressure)*(Volume)=(Temperture)

As the temperature goes down, so does the pressure. But it won't make your mattress flat, unless you're sleeping at liquid nitrogen temps. I've never seen it that cold at Beaver.

You have holes in your mattresses.

8. Schitzo42

Schitzo42 dweeb

Don't sleep with a screwdriver in your pocket.

-steve

9. MudDawg

MudDawg Engine Killah

Sleep on your back and not your stomach. You won't poke pinholes in the mattress.

:)

10. ChemGuy

ChemGuy Harden The F%@# Up!

Just saw this thread, Why cant I stop laughing. Great response Frank.

11. stickboy274

stickboy274 Stick-a-licious Tire Dude

When we used an air matress, it did the same thing. Put some carpet below it and it seemed to help some. It also kept the cold from coming through it so it didn't feel like a waterbed without a heater.

The best fix we found for it was to get a bunk futon. It sleeps much better, and never gets as cold.

12. slaw0002

slaw0002 Not as fat !!!!!!!

Spit on the plug when you put it in !!! It does help out alot !!

13. Princess886

Princess886 Kidd's Mechanic

Quit having wild sex on the air mattress!

14. YamRZ350

YamRZ350 Nicorette Dependent

This isn't the "SuzyQ is a stalker" thread.

15. cBJr

cBJr Well-Known Member

I'd bet that most of your leakage, assuming no holes in a new mattress, has to do with the plug not sealing. In cold weather, the rubber plug is less compliant, making it harder to seal in the rubber hole it goes into.

It's definitely not from changing temperature. You have a leak.

16. Zebo51

Zebo51 Slide'n It

Yea but that is the best way to warm things up :up:

17. Zebo51

Zebo51 Slide'n It

:D

18. Princess886

Princess886 Kidd's Mechanic

I know......I just happen to 'sleep' on an air mattress at the track as well. It's usually the wheel welds in the bed of the truck that mess me up!

19. Zebo51

Zebo51 Slide'n It

I can see if the first one got a hole, but we left that one on the floor and put the new one on top of it. Plus even if it was only a pin hole, with two people on it I can't see it lasting for 2 or 3 hours.

20. Zebo51

Zebo51 Slide'n It

The plug leaking sounds like a good idea. This week I was planning on airing them up inside my house, putting some weight on them and see what happens.