1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Air filter and spark plug maintenance intervals

Discussion in 'Tech' started by duc995, Aug 8, 2019.

1. duc995

duc995 Yep…

I’m running an OEM air filter and OEM recommended spark plugs in my ‘12 zx6r race/track bike. Should I be following the factory service manual maintenance schedule for these consumables, or replacing each season? Or other...? What’s your routine?

2. fastedyamaha

fastedyamaha Well-Known Member

Are you just riding on the street? Then yes, oem recommendations are ok to follow. Harder use on the track requires different maintenance. Inspect the filter and when it’s dirty replace it. When they’re dirty they don’t flow as much air and that makes a huge difference to how your engine runs and makes hp. Modern plugs are pretty good now, again depends on how hard you’re riding as to when you’d need to replace them.

3. DaveB

DaveB Just Riding Around

Same on the air filter, check it regularly and replace as needed. Plugs, if running pump fuel once a season is probably fine. If running race fuel I'd change more often as it tends to build up on the bottom of the plug and can make them hard to remove.

4. fastfreddie

fastfreddie Midnight Oil Garage

With bikes that see track only, I'd at least cut the OEM schedule in half. Air filters are a visual inspection for dirt, holes, seal integrity, etc.

FWIW, I change oil no later than when it appears to start a dirty look. Pay attention to the color change after the first heat cycle.That's
    heat discoloration and the color from which you're looking for a change due to contaminants.
    Regardless, it shouldn't go beyond 2000-2500 miles under severe duty so, 8-10 track days(?), max.