1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Air compressor stalling

Discussion in 'General' started by tiggen, Dec 11, 2022.

1. Mechdziner714

Mechdziner714 More Gas Less Brakes

Would be interesting to put an amp meter on the motor leads and see what happens as it approaches 75psi. Is it 75psi every time, or just in that ballpark? Does the motor get hot?

2. turner38

turner38 Well-Known Member

It will be drawing excessive amps. Will probably let all the magic smoke out eventually. Odds are really good some of the windings are open and it’s only running at 50% of its power out put.
    Best deal I found on a replacement for the one at the race shop was on Amazon. Wasn’t exact but a workable solution for the 30 year old IR motor.

3. tiggen

tiggen Things are lookin' up.

Well, I ordered the valves and switches as they are less than a motor. If it turns out to be the motor, then I will essentially have a new (underpowered) compressor. Will check motor when I get a chance. Thx for all responses.

4. tiggen

I've changed the oil as well as the check valve.

Filled up tank, and on the way up, right around 80-90psi, it slowed down like it was gonna do the same but instead of stalling it fought through it and within a few seconds was chooching at normal speed.

When I drew down the air enough for it to kick on, same thing. It struggled for a few seconds (<10), then filled up again.

I bought a new pressure switch, but not sure I'm gonna install it until it cycles a few times.

Motor never got hot, btw.

5. tiggen

Tightened belt, seemed to fix the bogging down.

6. beac83

beac83 "My safeword is bananna"

88/532 likes this.
  7. And it’s only $80,000. :D

8. 88/532

88/532 Simply Antagonistical

72K, but 80k++, when you add in a transformer, breaker, wiring, and competent labor.

9. tiggen

Damn, that thing has all the volts.